Photo

What The Fuck...

WTF happened to my nitefinder plunger tube?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:34 PM

OK. I opened up my two trusty nitefinders to lube the plunger tube and the o-ring. What I found in the plunger tube was actual GOUGES on the inside wall made by the plunger head in BOTH pistols. How the fuck did this happen, and how can I fix it? If I can't fix it, can somebody give me a price on how much I can buy these plunger tubes for? How do you prevent this from happening? I'm pretty pissed right now because I use these pistols EVERY time I nerf and I wouldn't nerf without them. Hell, I like them better than my primary. If this keeps going on, this is going to make what should be two beastly pistols into a fucking joke that can't hit 2 feet. Are they finally just crapping out on me from overuse, or what?

Thanks for helping me out.

EDIT: Does anyone have any plunger tubes that they could sell me? This is going to be near impossible to fix with the tools that I have available to me, if I could even fix it at all.

-Mehku

Edited by Mehku, 08 March 2009 - 11:58 AM.

#2 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:45 PM

There is the possibility that the plunger head has worn into the tube walls over time, how old are they?

There most likely won't be a way to fix it now that the inside is no longer a nice smooth tube. Although no one's stopping you from making your own plunger tube.
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#3 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

There is the possibility that the plunger head has worn into the tube walls over time, how old are they?

There most likely won't be a way to fix it now that the inside is no longer a nice smooth tube. Although no one's stopping you from making your own plunger tube.

The guns are about 2 years old. Should I just buy a new plunger tube? I don't know how to make my own and I really don't want to try to right now because I'm working on two guns here. And what about the plunger head?

Edited by Mehku, 28 February 2009 - 07:51 PM.

#4 aishihigeo

aishihigeo

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

You could have used a non-plastic friendly grease, that actually melted your plunger tube.
You mean Jesus doesn't get you an extra 20 feet?
I blame insufficient praising of his name. If you don't cross yourself and point to the sky after every minor achievment how is a higher power supposed to know that you are pleased with his mad sacred game?-VACC

#5 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:55 PM

You could have used a non-plastic friendly grease, that actually melted your plunger tube.

Actually, I have never lubed it before. Was that a fatal mistake? I just got that "oh shit, I should probably lube it now" thought pop into my head today.

Edited by Mehku, 28 February 2009 - 07:57 PM.

#6 1337

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:04 PM

Half-way off topic, but i found out chapstick/blistex works as a lubricant fairly nicely.
Join the REVOLUTION!

#7 L3G10N

L3G10N

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:23 PM

"Actually, I have never lubed it before. Was that a fatal mistake? I just got that "oh shit, I should probably lube it now" thought pop into my head today."

hmm to sig or not to sig
Or my personal favorite, the mini butane blow torch! That will thing will remove the gay from of Clay Aiken.
-Banshee

#8 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

"Actually, I have never lubed it before. Was that a fatal mistake? I just got that "oh shit, I should probably lube it now" thought pop into my head today."

hmm to sig or not to sig

Go back to NerfHQ. I don't need your completely off-topic bullshit in my thread.

-Mehku

#9 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:42 PM

EDIT: Does anyone have any plunger tubes that they could sell me?

I've got a plunger tube I can sell you, PM'd

Edited by A side of nerf, 28 February 2009 - 08:44 PM.

Southeast Nerf Contingent

#10 coltsboy29

coltsboy29

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:11 PM

hmm to sig or not to sig

I am!!!!
Totally not gettin' siggy with it at all.

#11 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:19 PM

Try a 3/4 inch diameter PVC plunger tube, you just need to bring you plunger assembly (the rod, and the plunger head) with you to your local hardware store and test. If 3/4 inch doesn't work keep going up until you find the right size. PVC is really cheap too, like less than $5 for 5-10' depending on where you go.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#12 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:11 PM

If your going to replace the plunger tube, I know from personal experience that 1" Thinwall PETG that I got at a pet store, works very well for replacing NF plunger tubes. I actually did some awesome mods using plunger tube replacements to increase range, but I never posted the guns because I sold them right away (everyone thought they were so amazing so they bought them).

#13 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:48 PM

If you replaced the springs with ones of too high a diameter, that could very well have been the problem.

#14 BRF726

BRF726

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:16 PM

Tantum's got it right, it happened to me once. Even if your spring is the right diameter, it could shift a little off the back of the plunger tube and scrape the inside sides of the plunger tube. Either replace the tube or just buy another nitefinder.

#15 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:57 AM

Tantum's got it right, it happened to me once. Even if your spring is the right diameter, it could shift a little off the back of the plunger tube and scrape the inside sides of the plunger tube. Either replace the tube or just buy another nitefinder.

That's a damn shame..well, I guess I have to replace the tube about every 2 years.. The springs that I'm using are the stock spring and an ACE #49 spring.

#16 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:37 AM

That's your problem, those two springs don't work well together. If you want an even stronger pair try a tek six and the #49 spring (they also fit better)

Edited by bogboogalars, 01 March 2009 - 01:37 AM.

#17 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

This happened to me too, but I was using a piece of a +Bow spring, a Tek 6, #49, and the stock one. I later shredded the PT to hell and back when I forgot to reattach the O-ring. Oops. :) I later found that the epoxy I use turns as hard as tile but not brittle like it. So if you use 2-part 24-hour epoxy, smear some on a Q-Tip without the fuzz, put it in the gouges, and wipe off excess with a piece of toilet paper or paper towel wrapped around the plunger head, and after that get the pape off ASAP, it will glue to the plunger head, then you are fucked. After it dries, smooth it out. The beauty of this is that A, it fills the gouges perfectly, and B, it reinforces the tube walls at the same time.

Edited by nerfnut23, 01 March 2009 - 01:17 PM.

American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

#18 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

Would a double shot spring and the stock spring work well without fucking up the plunger tube?
I just dug up a few from the bottomless pit which is my closet.. :blink:

-Mehku

#19 oh1134

oh1134

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:27 PM

Would a double shot spring and the stock spring work well without fucking up the plunger tube?
I just dug up a few from the bottomless pit which is my closet.. :)

-Mehku

I did that to two NF's, and they both work fine.

#20 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:41 PM

I just dug up a few from the bottomless pit which is my closet.. :blink:

-Mehku

Yes, but find springs that nest inside to prevent more PT fuckups.
American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users