Maverick Barrel Replacment?

Noob question

11 replies to this topic

#1 skrue luse

skrue luse

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

I'm preparing for my first major mod, but I have a question to pose to those with more experience than me.

I'm planning a Nite-Mav mod w/ a bit of reinforcment to accomidate a heavier spring. Aside from the other basics (AR removal, Revolver Mod etc.) I was considering a barrel replacment.

The questions.
1) I'm doing this for a LARP that uses stock micros (sonics), so would it even make sense to replace the barrels?

2) If yes, what would be the best material?

Thanks

#2 1337

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:20 PM

1) I'm doing this for a LARP that uses stock micros (sonics), so would it even make sense to replace the barrels?

2) If yes, what would be the best material?

yes, replace them with cpvc. the whole concept of LARP scares me. like crappy nerd nightmare scary.
Join the REVOLUTION!

#3 nerkum

nerkum

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:14 PM

It probably won't be worth your while to do a barrel replacement on the Mav if you are going to use it in a LARP. The ROF of the Mav is its only saving grace for LARPS and close range fights. The Mavericks doesn't have strong enough seals to support a tight barrel.

If you do the barrel replacement, make sure to leave enough room in the front of the barrel for the tip of the sonic dart to fit.

#4 Nerf Bros

Nerf Bros

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:25 PM

Yes, replace the barrels. The maverick has a very bad seal on the dart. In terms of barrel material I would use cpvc, because it is cheap, (2.40$ for 10 feet at home depot) and easy to work with. Brass would work well too. It creates a great seal on the dart, but I would not use it though because it is expensive.

-nerfbros

Edited by Nerf Bros, 27 February 2009 - 10:25 PM.

We have no sig.

#5 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:14 AM

No! Don't listen to these idiots. nerkum is right, the seal can't handle anything that has a semi-tight grip on darts. Maybe you could get away with 17/32 brass, but not CPVC if you're using stock darts.

Edited by TantumBull, 28 February 2009 - 03:14 AM.

#6 skrue luse

skrue luse

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:15 AM

So, to sum up... Replace the barrels, but make sure the dart isn't too tight. That about the size of it?

Any tips on increasing muzzle velocities? I'm not too worried about range, this is an indoor/CQB weapon, but cutting the time from muzzle to meat never hurts.

#7 nerkum

nerkum

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

Do the Straw mod on your plunger tube.

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=5673

It helps kill the dead space in the plunger and gives you more direct air. Also make sure that you beef up the spring or swap it out with an Ace #49 spring. Make sure to reinforce the cocking lever as that tends to be the first thing to snap when you beef up the springs.

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8867

These two mods will give you much better performance then replacing the barrels, and they are much easier.

Plus you can follow the links at the beginning of this mod, Cartoon has some really great ideas about improving the seal from plunger to barrel cylinder.

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=6542

All these Mods are located in the Directory which is stickied at the top of the Modifications Forums. Take a look through those and they should give you some great ideas.

#8 skrue luse

skrue luse

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:46 AM

Those mods are for the Mav, but I'll be using NF internals. Any suggestions?

I know there are dozens of mods in the directory and more in the forums, but I would still like some help from more experienced modders. I wanna do this right the first time. ;)

#9 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:45 AM

Well if you're making a Nite-mav try this or this

#10 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:57 AM

Velocity and inertia determine range for nerf guns. You can't increase the velocity without also boosting the range.

Edited by TantumBull, 01 March 2009 - 01:57 AM.

#11 skrue luse

skrue luse

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

Okay... One last question and I'll quit pestering everybody for a while.

I've seen several different drop clip mods for the mav. Has anyone tried more than one version?

If so, which would you recomend?

Oh, one other thing. Yes, I realise that velocity=range for nerf. Sadly, the brain doesn't make the connection after 36hrs w/o sleep or caffine. :blush:

#12 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

Okay... One last question and I'll quit pestering everybody for a while.

I've seen several different drop clip mods for the mav. Has anyone tried more than one version?

If so, which would you recomend?

Oh, one other thing. Yes, I realize that velocity=range for nerf. Sadly, the brain doesn't make the connection after 36hrs w/o sleep or caffine. :blush:

I have. I personally do love the drop clip. There so much fun. I would defiantly do Slug's drop clip mod. The modification is in the directory. Check it out.

Edited by Icespartan_1114, 03 March 2009 - 03:26 PM.

QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users