Photo

So I Modded My Rf20

30 replies to this topic

#1 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:52 PM

I've been planning this mod out for close to a year now; and with a couple weeks of work, finally I finish. Enjoy.

Posted Image

Along with standard mods, I added 2 Magstrike bladders, drilled the piston's air feed hole, expanded the piston volume, and gave it new barrels. I also replaced the pump with a Magstrike pump because the rf20 check valve melted from over-pumpage. A bike pump would do a lot better.

I knew expanding the piston volume would drain the air supply too quickly to fire all 20 shots, so I sacrificed 2 Magstrikes for their bladders. You'll have to plug one of the holes that exit the bladders with something, then put new tubing on them. 8" should be long enough.

Posted Image

Take the white piece that the RF20 bladder goes onto and drill 2 holes into the back with a 7/32 drill bit.

Posted Image

Cut the end of the tubing coming from the magbladder's lengthwise 1'. This will help you feed the tubing into the holes you drilled. Use lots of super glue to hold the tubing in there.

Posted Image

Here's the internals so far. Dremel some spots for the tubing to come out of the shell.

Posted Image

Pop the piston open. There's a helpful guide on the Merry Men of Michigan's webpage on how to do this. There should be a hole under the moving seal piece on the end. Drill into it with a small drill bit. I used a CPVC spacer to hold the seal away from the drilling.

Posted Image

Follow the guide from my Assault Magstrike writeup to put a PVC expansion on the piston. You'll have to dremel some of the shell away for it to fit.

Posted Image

I was going to use a RF20 spacer plate on this, but I got impatient and figured out an alternative. Cut the back off the stock barrels. Then pull the center out. (Middle piece not pictured)

Posted Image

Use that thin center piece to space apart the inner 10 barrels of the turret, and then hot glue the outside barrels to that. Reinforce it however you want. Use half a tube of goop on the turret piece and stick the barrels onto it.

(Look at how well those barrels are done. It balances on the little washer on the back of the turret!)
Posted Image

Cut the barrels somewhere between 6-10". I left mine at 10" for the time being,but I will probably cut them down to 8". Once everything is all done, hot glue the bladders to the sides of the rf20.

Ramrod 20 darts in, pump it 120-150 times, and unleash the pain. Ranges are yet to be determined, but I believe this is the farthest shooting rf20.

With 8.5" barrels, 120 pumps, with 2 bands on the piston, flat, the darts landed between 70' and 90'. So I'm going to say that it's official range is 80' average.

Edited by oodalumps, 28 February 2009 - 06:37 PM.

#2 neonpistols

neonpistols

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:00 PM

So I Modded My Rf20 More like: So I Turned My Rf20 Into A God. Haha
Are you planning to put more support around the turret?
"All I'm gonna do is just go on and do what I feel" - Jimi Hendrix

#3 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:06 PM

So wait, does the expansion help because it requires the gun to draw in more air before the piston is all the way back? Nice mod, by the way.

Edited by TantumBull, 26 February 2009 - 11:06 PM.

#4 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:14 PM

Edited by AJZ, 13 July 2014 - 06:37 PM.

#5 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:18 PM

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE?

That thing is.

...What the hell are you supposed to say to something like that?

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#6 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:27 PM

:D

That is...
Effeminate. Truly Effeminate.
But 120-150 pumps? Does that only last you 20 shots? I mean, no wonder you have so much power, but...
God.

Edited by Salmon, 26 February 2009 - 11:27 PM.

Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#7 bamblack2000

bamblack2000

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:44 PM

Ramrod 20 darts in, pump it 120-150 times, and unleash the pain. Ranges are yet to be determined, but I believe this is the farthest shooting rf20.

Are you kidding me? 120-150 pumps? Let's hope you are kidding.

#8 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:53 PM

The obvious next step is to Eyes of Fire it.

Great job btw.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#9 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:07 AM

Jesus Christ. oodalumps, every post i've seen of yours is awesome. First the triple shot SS1, now this?! You're gonna have to estimate ranges at the least. Even though it takes a while to come up with these incredible mods, it's worth it. Seriously, keep it up. Great job.

EDIT: Zorn's Lemma, please don't say that.. Ever. That would be overkill, unless what you mean is hooking this up to an air-tank. If you mean 2 rf20s, that would be stupid. 240 pumps for 40 shots.

Edited by NerfOnFier, 27 February 2009 - 12:14 AM.

#10 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:28 AM

I love what you've done to this. I can see it now- In a war, you'll spray 20 shots in the air. The round ends 5 minutes later. The next round starts, it's 10 minutes into it, and a hail storm of darts rain down on the other team. Damn...
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#11 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:32 AM

It might take half the round to get to 120 pumps!

Anyway, nice work. Very cleanly executed.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#12 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:39 AM

That's pretty cool. Well done.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#13 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:05 AM

Now you just gotta hook up an airtank to that crazy bitch goose. But seriously, awesome job on making the RF20 a hell of a force to be reckoned with. And if you could give a range estimate, I'd definitely appreciate it.
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#14 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:46 AM

Very nice.

I'd rather pack that 20 shot bad boy than try to run around with an underpowered 25 shot Vulcan.

It's clean and looks like it means business. Extra cool points for sacrificing two Magstrikes to get the air delivery squared away.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#15 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:01 AM

I have been having tons of problems with bicycle pumps. you need to look for a small diameter, metal, single stage pump that has a valve capable of being attached to a nerf gun without leaking or exploding.

I have yet to find a reasonably priced pump that is any better than a bigsalvo pump which is now my benchmark for nerf pumps.
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#16 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:25 AM

Nicely done but man 120 pumps, seriously you need to hook that up to an air tank.

#17 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

I dearly applaud you Oodalumps. Although...

1. Could you use a homemade air-bladder instead of sacrificing to magstrikes?
2. Could you attach a homemade PVC airtank instead if you can't do #1?

~F!nnster

#18 Homestarune

Homestarune

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:28 AM

Congratulations, this thing is a beauty. I would hate to be in an indoor war against you.
We're not discouraging people from joining a Nerf forum, we're discouraging them from joining this forum. It's an important distinction because, frankly, we don't give a shit. The Haven was created to escape the idiotic masses, now they're all here. -cxwq

#19 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:50 PM

So wait, does the expansion help because it requires the gun to draw in more air before the piston is all the way back?

Yup

But 120-150 pumps? Does that only last you 20 shots? I mean, no wonder you have so much power, but...

Are you kidding me? 120-150 pumps? Let's hope you are kidding.

It might take half the round to get to 120 pumps!

Nicely done but man 120 pumps, seriously you need to hook that up to an air tank.

Three air bladders. Getting good ranges comes with a cost. After it shoots 20 times though, there's still around 30-40 pumps left in there, so it's not so bad after the first time. But It's been taking me even longer than you would expect to pump this up. I take a break from pumping every 30 pumps so I don't melt the pump. I really need to do a pump replacement on this.

Now you just gotta hook up an airtank to that crazy bitch goose. But seriously, awesome job on making the RF20 a hell of a force to be reckoned with. And if you could give a range estimate, I'd definitely appreciate it.

1. Could you use a homemade air-bladder instead of sacrificing to magstrikes?
2. Could you attach a homemade PVC airtank instead if you can't do #1?

I stuck with the magbladders because they were more Nerfy. I'm not a fan of homemades. But It's not like they cost much; 5$ per magstrike at Target back when they had a sale (I bought them all).

Ranges at the moment are like a turreted 2k. I'm still planning to tweak it a bit before I give official ranges.

Edited by oodalumps, 27 February 2009 - 12:51 PM.

#20 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

Too bad it takes so many pumps. If it had shorter barrels then you wouldn't have to pump them that many times, but you also wouldn't get the ranges. hmm.

Thats pretty cool, i must say.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#21 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:10 PM

Very good work mate!
Very good indeed.

I would allow that work of genius at my wars any day.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#22 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:37 PM

I think I just shit myself. That is the most Effeminate blaster that I have seen since the Lancer.

-Mehku

#23 1337

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:40 PM

if you drop that thing on its barrels, they are going to SHATTER under the weight of the RF20.

other than that, it's pretty goddamn awesome.
Join the REVOLUTION!

#24 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

Why not replace the pump with a double action bike pump? They are pretty nifty

#25 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

What in the pump will "melt" if you pump it all at one time?
Also, I think we all want to know how far it shoots.
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users