Photo

Sick Nades

22 replies to this topic

#1 EleMenT

EleMenT

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 09:59 PM

hey, i just found out that making smoke grenades for nerf mite not be so mard after all. All of the other ideas that i have seen use flour or something like that and i was wondering if there was a better way. Well there isn't :lol: jkjk. they way that i found uses chemicals. So the ideas is that you mix 6 parts sugar and 4 farts potassium nitrate KNO3 (also known as saltpeter) in a pan untill it melts (you may have to use some water but don't use much) then when it is all melted you put it into a tennis ball with a small hole cut in it (so that you can get it in :lol: ) and then shub a piece of wazed string or other wick into it. when the stuff dries you can light the wick and it should make some thick white (or maybe grey) smoke.

Note: i do not think these chemicals are dangerous, my science teacher said that
they were not but i have not proven it as a fact, so be careful.

I also have never actually tested these nades (my mom said that it would make somebody call the police), but i think that the chemicals react with fire in a way that will make smoke.

if you test this design for real, please e-mail me ( flapjackfreak24@clanmckinlay.com ) and tell me if you get them to work

EleMenT

P.S. i think that you can get potassium nitrate at most chemical supply stores or over the internet.
Honor the brave who fought,
Honor the dead who fell,
Honor the world they saved.

#2 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 10:12 PM

Chemicals, four farts potassium, and a tennis ball.........sounds like a bomb to me. What do you mean by "parts"?

#3 WEASEL

WEASEL

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 10:23 PM

By parts he means a fraction. For example, if you had 2 parts flour and 1 part suger then that would mean that of your total mixture you would have 2/3 flour and 1/3 suger.

#4 TheHaze

TheHaze

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 10:30 PM

yeah, i've seen them made before, they work well but BE CAREFUL! You can't just melt them in a pan, it has to be a very low temp. melt or BOOM! I suggest if you want to make them, search something like "how to make smoke bombs" on google or something. THat way you can get the exact temps need so you dont lose a finger or inhale toxic gas.
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy

#5 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 11:04 PM

Yeah, getting your smoke grenade design from the anarchist's cookbook wasn't the brightest idea. This thing works because it's combustible. The tennis ball or whatever you decide to use as a container with either melt or ignite, causing anything in the immediate area to ignite. also note that at best the thick smoke from the grenade is at least as bad as thick smoke from a fire (not unlike what you would inhale in a burning buidling where there would be very little oxygen in the thickest part of the smoke) and at worst could give off noxious or even lethal fumes.

Edited by Langley, 11 February 2004 - 11:05 PM.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#6 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 11:31 PM

This idea seems a little too dangerous to me. If shit ignites, you have a big problem to deal with, Good luck explaining to the fire department and other authorities why the woods or house burned down.
"Do you like gladiator movies, Johnny?"

#7 EleMenT

EleMenT

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 11:48 PM

hey hey hey!
gosh don't get all upiddy with me about it! i never actually intended to use them in a nerf battle, i was just bringing up the idea because i though it was kina cool. I didn't even come up with it it was on like this site about random stuff to fire out of a potato gun (all of the people were pyromaniacs)
Honor the dead who fell,

#8 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 11:56 PM

Pyro stuff is fun. The grenade idea is cool, but just be careful not to burn too many things.
"Do you like gladiator movies, Johnny?"

#9 Nello

Nello

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 12:21 AM

I recall a friend and I attempting to make some of those from the Anarchists cook book sometime around Haloween last year. One big thing that people need to understand about the Anarchist's Cook Book is that although certain chemicals (ie. potassium nitrate) can be bought at a supply store, but the whole point of the book is that everything in the book can be made using for the most part, household items. In Canada, Potassium Nitrate can only be bought by someone with a blasters lisense, so we had to make it ourselves by buying some high nitrate fertilizer and then isolating the nitrates by pouring it through a filter with some water. Then we took our water and nitrate solution and boiled it down to half of its original volume. Tons of salt crystals began forming and in order for your smoke bombs to work it is nessisary to get almost all of the salt out of the nitrate solution. I don't quite remember the next step in detail but I beleive it involved mixing the solution with alcohol (we used rubbing alcohol) and running it through a filter. We were left with some white goop which was our potassium nitrate. Unfortunatley, our filters became so clogged that we couldn't get rid of all the alcohol. We proceeded to the next step which was to mix the solution with sugar (I think it was actually 6 parts Potassium Nitrate and 4 parts sugar, but thats maybe why it didn't work) and heat it until it became a thick brown paste. Once we did that we poured the mixture into old pill containers and stuck a waterproof match in the top to act as a fuse. After all our hard work, and I believe about 50 bucks, they were all duds.
Now, about all this mumbo jumbo about explosives. The Anarchist's Cook Book clearly warns the reader any time something they will be handling is flammamble or explosive. Look in the book, I don't recall there being any warnings on making smoke bombs other than to be sure that you light them in an open area. Altough potassium Nitrate maybe used in explosive powders, it is very stable, and won't explode when you are handling it. (Unless you are an idiot and decide to use direct heat when adding sugar to it)
I don't see its practicality in Nerf seeing as a 1 pound bomb will smoke out an entire city block (screws you, and your oponents over equally) and threy take a lot of work to make.
EDIT: Oh yeah, a couple of weeks later my friend's dad, who happens to have a blaster's lisense, gave us a couple of small smoke bombs to play around with. I tried one in a Nerf war, but as we soon discovered, they do not emit enough smoke fast enough to be effective. Oh yeah, the smoke was completley harmless.

Edited by Nello, 12 February 2004 - 12:34 AM.

"The older you get the more and more like yourself you become." D. Krell

#10 Dan Wask

Dan Wask

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 06:57 PM

Sounds like making crystal meth to me...
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 9 2005, 12:02 AM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

#11 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 10:48 PM

When I was in highshool, in chemistry we made black gunpowder and we also played around with potassium nitrate when the teacher wasn't looking.

Black gunpowder gives off THICK smoke, I forgot the exact parts, but it consist of sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate. Set fire to that and you have thick noxious smoke.

Also, I heated potassium nitrate, and when in its melted form, it reacts VIOLENTLY with sugar. I had a test tube full of it, and we would throw gummi bears down the test tube and they would explode, then shoot off blue flame, looked like a jet engine. I believe they have model rockets that run off of potassium nitrate and suger. Well, don't play with potassium nitrate unless you have some people around you to help you out if you get in trouble, I made the mistake of sticking my finger down one test tube to unclog a gummi bear and almost caught my hand on fire, not to mention the burns.

Edited by xedice, 12 February 2004 - 10:48 PM.

Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#12 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 03:31 AM

all i can say to this is:

- HA HA HA HA HA.... you idiot....

but moving rite along, yeah, the gunpowder is charcoal and some form of potassium to my recolection, but i think mister teacher said it was relitively dense and toxic as a smoke.... but hey dont listen to me, go blow yourself up, ohhh and by the way, in case you havnt realised, gun powder go boom boom...

anyway, that wasnt the main point of my post, the real one is actually quite irrelevant, its about the anarchy cook book, or as my teacher called it, "the terrorist hand-book" back when he was young, and how well, just plain retarded it is....

Now i must tell you, this guy is a cool teacher, he takes surf camp, he lets u stay up till al hours, talk and shit, he has an obsession with blowing up things and would in no way tell us not to because its illegal...

the whole point is that the anarchy cookbook is jsut plain deadly, there are constant deaths all over the world from cookbook related 'exercises' and expirements, you can do any of those bomb making plans and i guarentee you, on most occassion, as he said, you will blow yourself up within the first three steps...

i believe this is the greatest hoax thing-a-ma-bob since they created that msn hack, you know,

send YOUR username and password to wateva@hotmail.com and then the email of the person who's password you want..... ;) ;)

i mean seriously, apparently they got a lot of people, but anyway, jsut think first before heating chemicals in, well, anything.....
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#13 N3maN

N3maN

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 04:41 AM

hey fellas,
i cant beleive you are wastin your with handbook and chemicles, havent u eva heard of smoke bombs made from ping pong balls, table tennis balls, wateva u yanks call em. simply get a ping pin ball wrap it it foil with a little tube comin out the top and hold a lighter to th bottom till you hear a gushing sound and smoke comes out da top, LOSTA smoke created but not tooo much to get attention from cops, no chemicles, no acctuall throwing of fire,
anyone not get it???
if not i'll post a better explanation

NOTE: in large quantities this smoke can be bad for you, but in open spaces for nerf it shouold be fine... just dont surround ppl wit smoke

Edited by N3maN, 13 February 2004 - 04:43 AM.

#14 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, that's a good idea, lets burn plastic to make smoke. Nevermind that it's highly toxic.

I'd be a lot more accepting of most of these ideas if it weren't for the fact that smoke bombs in Nerf is just lame.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#15 Nello

Nello

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 03:08 PM

i believe this is the greatest hoax thing-a-ma-bob since they created that msn hack

Well, that doesn't make much sense considering that the Anarchist's Cook Book has been around since the 60's.
"The older you get the more and more like yourself you become." D. Krell

#16 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 04:55 PM

Yep,

I have no idea why people even bother with smoke nades / flash nades. I don't even care for any type of grenade. To me, grenades have no place in nerf wars and are just a waste of time. But, who am I to say people shouldn't experiment with them, by all means, go ahead and have fun while you're at it.
Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#17 Ironman

Ironman

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:28 PM

...4 farts potassium nitrate KNO3 (also known as saltpeter) in a pan untill it melts...

Whats 4 farts potassium nitrate?
Die with honor...Fight with pride...
Aim toward your goals...Quicken your stride...
With great power comes great responsibility.

#18 Jappo

Jappo

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:58 PM

He was trying to say parts, so leave it alone. Everyone makes typos.

Next, the difference between Blackpowder and Saltpeter is immense. While Saltpeter burns in a reaction which makes it alot less volitile than Blackpowder, or gunpowder. Now although Nello and I failed at making the saltpeter from homemade ingredients, in my Chemistry class I was able to convince the teacher to prepare some. It smokes quite heavily, although its not toxic. Saltpeter is quite safe unless you burn yourself on it while lighting it, or if you inhale to much of the smoke (but thats like inhaling to much CO2, its obvious).

I agree that if the Smoke Gernades where more available, and expanded faster they would be more useful. But as I like to point out, paintball does not use smoke gernades, and they have invested more money into it.

Anyways im done, and the whole Potassium thingy is too hard to use.

Edited by Jappo, 13 February 2004 - 09:28 PM.

"When life gives you lemons, you squish those lemons into the eyes of your enemies." - Jappo

#19 EleMenT

EleMenT

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 09:11 PM

He was trying to say parts, so leave it alone.  Everyone makes typos.

fanks jappo ebryone maycs mistakes

EleMenT
Honor the dead who fell,

#20 N3maN

N3maN

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 11:02 PM

i have to say i agree wit cx, even though he was dishin my post
i think smoke grenade, nay, any grenades in nerf are a waste of time,
and like i said, my ping pong ball grenades are mcfukin dangerous unless u want to make sum one feel like shit and mabey pass out,
i was simply postin for educational purposes, i know that sound like bullshit, but it is true
i am sorry it was taken the wrong way
N3

#21 Lord Dis

Lord Dis

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:32 PM

Just a little secret, don't tell nello, him and jappo are some of the most impatiant people i know, and they didn't let the KNO3 dry completly before mixing it with the sugar, but nello correctly states that the anarchist cookbook has been around for years it is mentioned in bowling for collumbine, and if you are really disbeleiving we can probably work out all the stoichiometry that proves the validity of all this. Furthermore, my dad is a pyrotechnician and one of his smoke machines runs on powdered KNO3 and sugar, and the smoke it creates is a thick, white smoke that smells sickeningly sweet. The ones that must be avoided are the paradichlorobenzene smoke bombs, nello threw one in our bunker once during a stalemate, and damn near suffocated us.
What the hell does the internet need a horse for? I think Wintermute must be crazy

#22 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 08:54 PM

i assume by parts and farts you mean moles?
1 mole saltpeter is not the same weight as 1 mole what ever other material you are using. There are conversions you hafta do. First convert to grams, find ratio which materials combine (6/4) or (4/6) depending on how you do it. Then convert back to grams. You need stoichiometry (go CHEM) and to add up atomic masses. If you wann do this (not good idea) you might want to calculate it. Dont forget about your limiting reactants. Sucks to be you when you have saltpeter as an excess reactant (its explosive) Oh ya also it needs something to react in (unsure what this is maybe air maybe water you might want to check that out) Is your smoke bomb worth doing all this?

This activity is not condoned by the Crankymonky School Board of Chemistry in Nerf.
Wow. Chem actually taught me something to be useful like that above.
Tyranny Response Team

#23 TheHaze

TheHaze

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 02:20 AM

He doesn't mean moles, he means parts. Like for every one of this there is two of that. It's not rocket science.
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users