The Future Of Nerf

Looking Forward

44 replies to this topic

#1 glamdringguy15

glamdringguy15

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:11 PM

In my brief time so far with the Nerf community, I have learned a lot. I have seen a lot of different attitudes toward nerfing, many different guns, and many different events overall. But now, it is the 40th anniversary of nerf. Most definitely a momentous occasion for the community. And so I have to wonder... what's next? Over the years we've seen everything from crossbows to longshots, mavericks to sharpshooters, and the list goes on and on... so what do you want to see next? What direction do think Hasbro should go in? Would you rather see more vulcan and raider type guns, or more maverick and nitefinder type guns? What do you see happening? What about changes to the Nerf community? Feel free to post your opinions. And the guns are just random examples. Not meant to actually relate.

Edited by glamdringguy15, 17 February 2009 - 09:44 PM.

QUOTE(Draconis @ Jun 17 2010, 01:56 PM) View Post

Also, would they be so devious as to retain moose, bears, and wolverines as legal council?

#2 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

...or more maverick and nitefinder type guns?...

What? The nitefinder has ranges and ROF comparable to a L+L, the maverick has ranges comparable to a shoe :D , how are they the same "type"? :huh:

Anyways, I'd like to see more... improving guns, I really don't give a damn about the "type", but I would really like to see higher-ranging guns then the *shudder* recon. The vulcan made up it's range with ROF, so I'm really okay with it, but jesus, the recon has ranges comparable to a... stock AT2k :lol: . Anyways, that's my two cents. B)

#3 Nerfer327

Nerfer327

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:42 PM

Lets just hope hore more good guns

Ps. Thanks wing for sigging me :lol:
QUOTE(Pineapple @ Feb 4 2009, 04:04 AM) View Post

The last thing we need is a mass gathering of prepubesent boners all over the place

Forsaken_angel24 Said-
Time heals all wounds.
But it cannot hide the scars.

#4 deadshooter711

deadshooter711

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

I would like to see hasbro be more creative with the designs of more guns and make them a bit powerful. I would like more capacitive guns, and maybe some more clipped guns and pistols (besides recon). Because think about it, the Recon, and longshot are the only 2 clipped guns right now, when they have so many other pistols, rifles, airguns, dart tag guns, and not that many clipped guns. I see the future of nerf having more complexity to their guns and better performance.

My Nerf War Pictures

IT'S EVERYWHERE!

#5 Victorious Vic

Victorious Vic

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:59 PM

I would like to see nerf make more pump blasters instead of only springers.In my opinion, Nerf should make more blasters like the airtech series. I also hope that in the future, there are more blasters with turrets and more variety. It seems that Nerf is making more complex blasters with clips or chains. It would be nice if Nerf made some simple blasters with a lot of power and modding potential.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Feb 25 2009, 09:29 AM) View Post

Your stubby barrel isn't helping matters.

#6 Boss18

Boss18

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:20 PM

Nerf isnt going to make guns specifically for modders, and right now they seem to be focusing on guns that can shoot a bunch of foam darts before reloading.I;d like to see a really awesome nerf gun, that isnt meant to be handicapped.I'm not saying have nerf remove the ARs and add extra springs to make the guns shoot hard and fast, but lets look at the vulcan.If tere was no ammo box, the chains would just hang out.Then nerf could make it so ty link together. The vulcan could have stronger internals, and run off of somthing like a 4.6 volt battery pack with a semi- moderrate MAH.Then we could attach chains, and have a vulcan capable of shooting about 75 darts without reloading.But if you look at all the nerf products that have came out, they all are based on the same thing.Holding more darts and firing them without reloading. The DTg, the Maverick, the Vulcan, The Longshot, the Recon, the Raider, the Firefly, and the magstrike. They all hold more than 5 darts and can fire them without puting a dart in the barrel every time.And this usually results in a reverse plunger system or a bolt system, which isnt as strong as the Plunger system.

Sorry for the wall of text, and theres probably a few misspelled words in there i missed.
D0 U LiK3Z /\/\UDkIpZ? http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Burnboy85 <--- Clicky Cliky!

#7 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:21 PM

I would like to see hasbro be more creative with the designs of more guns and make them a bit powerful. I would like more capacitive guns, and maybe some more clipped guns and pistols (besides recon). Because think about it, the Recon, and longshot are the only 2 clipped guns right now, when they have so many other pistols, rifles, airguns, dart tag guns, and not that many clipped guns. I see the future of nerf having more complexity to their guns and better performance.

MORE creative? Are you serious? To go from the Max Force 2012 line to the whole development of the N-Strike and Dart Tag Line is not enough for you? More clip guns are already on their way (read: Raider). I think your logic is a little out of focus and contradictory.

We've had this discussion numerous times and I really don't see the point for another. Unless you can actually PREDICT the future. If so, please let me know. I'd be interested in a few things I'd like to know the outcome of in a couple of years.
I hate you.

#8 foxdemon82

foxdemon82

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:27 PM

"We've had this discussion numerous times and I really don't see the point for another. Unless you can actually PREDICT the future. If so, please let me know. I'd be interested in a few things I'd like to know the outcome of in a couple of years."

the outcome of nerfhaven in a couple of years:

OMG TAT NERV GUN IZ SOOOOOO LIK3 PWNZORZ!!!!!!!!!

the sad truth......(well maybe not)

Edited by foxdemon82, 17 February 2009 - 10:29 PM.

QUOTE(Glint @ Feb 15 2009, 07:07 PM) View Post

So stop with all the "new Recon" crap. This thing definately isn't a Recon, I'll wager my soul. Someone can quote me on that if they'd like

#9 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:33 PM

"We've had this discussion numerous times and I really don't see the point for another. Unless you can actually PREDICT the future. If so, please let me know. I'd be interested in a few things I'd like to know the outcome of in a couple of years."

the outcome of nerfhaven in a couple of years:

OMG TAT NERV GUN IZ SOOOOOO LIK3 PWNZORZ!!!!!!!!!

the sad truth......(well maybe not)

Over OMC's dead body. And VACC's, and the rest of the administration team. They would not let that happen as long as they are in charge of this site.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#10 foxdemon82

foxdemon82

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:34 PM

Yeah I rather them then anyone else run this site....

anyways....
What I would like for nerf to do is keep banging out guns for their N-Strike line I love their "Military-Simulation" design to them even though they may get crappy ranges (which im not worried about)

Edited by foxdemon82, 17 February 2009 - 10:36 PM.

QUOTE(Glint @ Feb 15 2009, 07:07 PM) View Post

So stop with all the "new Recon" crap. This thing definately isn't a Recon, I'll wager my soul. Someone can quote me on that if they'd like

#11 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:00 PM

My small change:

1. Hasbro is a company, and as such, they will make stuff that sells. The whole Dart Tag/N-Strike line has been quite successful, so we're likely to see more high-ROF, mechanically complex, (possibly) underpowered guns, many of which are likely to be springers.

2. People need to stop whining about Nerf trying to make guns harder to mod. Of course they do--to an extent. A kid could conceivably mod a X-Bow, but not a LS. However, they're not out to get us. Why would they be?

3. None of that is really going to matter. Whatever we can't buy, we can make. Don't believe me? Plusbow, bitches. Homemades will continue to increase in performance, complexity, and quality. Look how many homemade guns have been introduced in the last year or so. There's nowhere to go but up with homemade nerf, especially when it comes to...

4. Pneumatics. Yeah, yeah--they're banned, for damned good reason. That will change. The reasons, and the bannage.

5. Nerfhaven noob beatdowns will continue.

6. Warring is just getting bigger and cooler, and that's the most important thing.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#12 Kyrativ

Kyrativ

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:33 AM

In the future i hope to see nerf evolve into a slightly recognized "sport" or "recreation activity", With hasbro on this tour thing with dart tag, the SoF team/trip, Angels Massacre, and that we have more members than ever so in terms of popularity the future looks good.
In terms of guns Well probably end up with more guns n-strike guns and possible a new line of smaller and hand to hand guns that go with the N-force swords. The dart tag line will probably grow substantially because its more geared towards sport play and by the sounds of Hasbro, thats what they want.
The only nerfer who could kick your ass with a dart tag gun but not with a xbow

NERFSTRONG #44

#13 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:17 AM

I really don't see nerf every resembling paintball in terms of being a "recognized" sport/hobby, and I have no desire for it to. Paintball is successful because it is a business. The manufacturers and field owners, by and large, do what they do to make money. That's what fuels the tournaments and the marketing.

Nerf is not about spending money on the best equipment. We certainly have a few members who seem to believe the contrary, but they are wrong. Nerf is about ANYBODY being able to spend $15 and haveing a fucking blast. Why do you think Stefan invented homemade darts? Performance was not the driving goal; the economy of making your own ammunition was.

What I expect to see from nerf, as a hobby (because predicting what hasbro will do is a fool's errand), is more of the same. Over the past 2 summers the number of wars hosted has climbed exponentially, and the number of new nerfers actually getting out there to shoot each other increases with each war. This place is no longer drowning in nerfers sitting in their basements, modding guns they will never use. The lesson we've learned, as a community, is that if we keep giving people the opportunity, more and more of them will become nerfers. That's the impetus of the Mag-7's schedule this year, that's what FA's been up to for the last 5 months, and that's what the SOF team is trying to accomplish.

Let's just keep it up.

VACC
~Nerf On, or Fuck Off~

#14 boom

boom

• Banned
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:54 AM

I really don't see nerf every resembling paintball in terms of being a "recognized" sport/hobby, and I have no desire for it to. Paintball is successful because it is a business. The manufacturers and field owners, by and large, do what they do to make money. That's what fuels the tournaments and the marketing.

Nerf is not about spending money on the best equipment. We certainly have a few members who seem to believe the contrary, but they are wrong. Nerf is about ANYBODY being able to spend $15 and haveing a fucking blast. Why do you think Stefan invented homemade darts? Performance was not the driving goal; the economy of making your own ammunition was.

What I expect to see from nerf, as a hobby (because predicting what hasbro will do is a fool's errand), is more of the same. Over the past 2 summers the number of wars hosted has climbed exponentially, and the number of new nerfers actually getting out there to shoot each other increases with each war. This place is no longer drowning in nerfers sitting in their basements, modding guns they will never use. The lesson we've learned, as a community, is that if we keep giving people the opportunity, more and more of them will become nerfers. That's the impetus of the Mag-7's schedule this year, that's what FA's been up to for the last 5 months, and that's what the SOF team is trying to accomplish.

Let's just keep it up.

VACC
~Nerf On, or Fuck Off~

Wow that gave me so much hope.
I'm just the scitzophrenic clusterfuck of randomness that is me.

#15 iMod1

iMod1

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

In regards to the direction Hasbro is going, I think they are beginning to make more and more "lazy" guns if you will that require almost no work to fire (E.G. the Vulcan) rather than making guns that require just a bit more time to use, for example a BBB or a NF. They are trying to appeal to the people that want to have high ROF blasters without much work.

In regards to the direction the NIC is going, I would say (Much more Talio than myself) that we need to stop giving noobs the wrong impression of who we are. We are most definitely not badass. We travel to different states so that we can shoot each other with modified toys for crying out loud. Who we really are is a bunch of funloving engineers that look like teenagers and adults on the outside but truly are eight year olds running around like total idiots. We need to somewhat "bend" the direction of the NIC in order to preserve the actual FUN involved in this sport that we love so much.
-iMod
A computer once beat me at chess, but after that it was no match for me at kick boxing.

#16 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:55 PM

Nerf is growing, bottom line. With all of our young members (High School, etc...), we've got enough power for our hobby to be in full swing for a long time with room to sway.
Me? I just like getting out and having a blast!

Come on guys,
This community isn't going down without a fight.
:lol:

Edited by A side of nerf, 18 February 2009 - 08:55 PM.

Southeast Nerf Contingent

#17 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

Future of Nerf? Simple:

Hasbro will keep making plastic toys that shoot foam, and we'll keep buyin' them and shooting foam with our toys. It's a never-ending cycle.

But you know what? It's a damned fun cycle, one I'd like to keep for as long as possible. I'd like to see Nerf's 100th anniversary, and all the stuff we'll see that year. Sure, I'll be 75, but it'd really be something to see.

The future of NH is the same: It'll keep expanding and it'll continue to find new ways to have fun with a children's toy.

So, basically, what he said.
<_<
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#18 boom

boom

• Banned
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:56 PM

Guys seriously we will (or at least I will) still like to war even if the guns suck.Also the probabilaty of hasbro "completely crapping out on us" is very low.And I know we will not give up even if they do.
I'm just the scitzophrenic clusterfuck of randomness that is me.

#19 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:00 AM

It's my belief that 50-60% of members who signed up in 2008 won't be around by the end of 2009.

The short attention span with something like Nerf is sadly shocking for me. Many of the younger ones here seem to only Nerf because they're too young to airsoft (and those are the ones who usually want their "guns" to look more "real", rather than enjoy the motley colors of the stock blasters).

When they are old enough to purchase airsoft, they usually troll out on us and post how "childish" Nerf is and that they've "moved on" to airsoft.

I could care less.

It's Nerf or nothing for me and my kids. Well, except for shooting "real steel".

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#20 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:13 AM

I agree with Piney, but I find that for myself, the opposite is true in terms of airsoft. I used to airsoft all the time. I've got lots of guns, including a TM Thompson (400fps), a TM VSR-10 (Over 500fps), a Glock 19 GBB and a bunch of other cheaper guns. One of the big problems with airsoft is "Yeah, I'm gonna modify my gun!", so you buy a $50 motor and a $20 spring, put them in...and you're done. Nerf has infinite possibilities in modifying the guns. Because of that, I moved away from airsoft and into nerf. Nerfing is also easier to do outside. If I am outside with a nerf gun, I might get some weird looks, but probably not any kind of trouble otherwise. If I am outside with a Glock and a Thompson, I'd be in bigger trouble.

I'd also like to say that nerf is the first hobby in which I have completed one of my crazy projects (my Lancer). My expectations are normally so high that they never get totally done. My first lightsaber started as a prop sink tube with PVC glued on and painted and ended up being a metal monster with an EL blade, and it still isn't as done as I want it.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#21 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:44 AM

It's my belief that 50-60% of members who signed up in 2008 won't be around by the end of 2009.

Yeah It's sad but probably true. Like I had to join nerfing in my senior in high school, in sept I'm moving away from home to go to university. I'll have to re-claim and rebuild my arsenal there. "why don't you just take your arsenal with you?" cause I have to drive 16hrs to get there... So my excuse isn't that I've grown up from nerf, but life is forcing to me to adapt.
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#22 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:14 PM

I'd actually be happy with less noobs around here, considering a portion of them is my fault. yes, it means less members, but it also means who ever is left is dedicated to the hobby, and isn't going anywhere.
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#23 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:37 PM

I'd actually be happy with less noobs around here, considering a portion of them is my fault. yes, it means less members, but it also means who ever is left is dedicated to the hobby, and isn't going anywhere.

I could not agree with this more.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#24 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

I'd actually be happy with less noobs around here, considering a portion of them is my fault.

A PORTION?! I'd like to know what actual number you think that equals. I would put the blame for the last surge of stupidity squarely on your shoulders. I haven't seen one SINGLE good nerfer come from "youtube." Anyone who has ever told me they have viewed your videos has succeeded in showing me exactly what I expected in terms of skill on the field (ie, their complete lack of it). Ice, don't take this as a personal attack. It's more of a general felling I have toward all newcomers from your realm. Especially ones who are lining up to give hand jobs to Foreskin Angel 42.

We've had this discussion numerous times and I really don't see the point for another.

I'm sorry, I guess everyone read that as continue on bullshitting for another page and a half. Please continue.
I hate you.

#25 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:13 PM

The short attention span with something like Nerf is sadly shocking for me.
-Piney-

Fun Fact: Members who have registered after January 1st 2008 make up well over 50% of registered members.

It's too bad CX isn't around anymore. He could check to see where most of the links are coming from.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users