One Of Those "whoa.." Moments...

New longshot plunger head design

10 replies to this topic

#1 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

I have found a way to truly "silence" the modded longshot to be as quiet as the stock version of the gun.
You basically take the stock plunger head and screw on one large metal washer and one small metal washer to hold the big washer on. The metal really dampens the sound of the plunger head hitting the end of the plunger tube**. Not only that, but the washers also reinforce your stock plunger head. After you screw these washers on, you put 2 small rubber bands or another o-ring behind the existing one. The point is to make the o-ring fit as tightly as possible against the plunger tube wall. You should see at least a 5-10 foot range increase depending on the materials you used. I kind of stole Cartoon's image here:

Posted Image

However, you need to sand down your magazines because the bolt sled does not go all the way back anymore. Regardless, this mod is really worth it. It isn't really hard to sand down the magazines, and once you do, they will fit in your longshot just fine.

Also, I just used what ever washers that fit. They do not need to be exact, but it would help.

**It was the rubber bands that made it silent, not the metal. Wtf was I thinking. :D

Double Edit: Don't put 2 rubber bands along with the stock o-ring on the plunger head. It creates too much friction that slows the plunger down, thus hurting range. Only use 2 O-rings.

-Mehu

Edited by Mehku, 10 February 2009 - 09:49 PM.

#2 angelof DEATH182

angelof DEATH182

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:38 PM

If you could explain how metal hitting the end of the plunger tube is quieter than plastic-on-plastic, I might believe this.

#3 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

Really, when I fired the gun, I expected it to be louder myself, but when it was quieter, I just about shit myself. If you really don't believe me, try it yourself. I know there is no way for me to actually prove this on the internet, but I can guarantee you that at least my gun fires much quieter. I don't really know how to explain why it silences it; but it just does.

#4 slienced assassin

slienced assassin

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:43 PM

I still cannot see how this would slience a gun. A video would be very helpful.

Edited by slienced assassin, 10 February 2009 - 03:44 PM.

92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to "real music",
copy and paste this into your signature

http://supernerf.piczo.com/?cr=1

#5 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

I'm guessing that it has something to do with the seal, but I must admit that this really doesn't seem to make sense..That's why the topic title is called one of those "whoa" moments. I'm as lost as you are about how this works. But like I said above, if you really don't believe me, try it yourself. Really, I honestly understand why you guys are calling bullshit on this.

Unfortunately, it might take me a while to find my dad's video camera. I don't even know how to use it.

Edited by Mehku, 10 February 2009 - 03:48 PM.

#6 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

It's quieter because the travel is shorter.

However, the easier and MUCH BETTER way to do it is to add a thin layer of foam to the front of the plunger head. You can use FBR, or the ring from a toilet replacement, or any other foam.

Further silencing can be achieved by adding rods of FBR around the plunger tube in the shell.

You don't run into issues with throw distance or any of the other issues.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are much better ways to do this.

#7 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

I figured it out. It was the rubber bands that I put behind the o-ring that make it silent. Apparently there was a lot of friction that slowed down the plunger. I took them out and it's much louder again.

#8 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

Hmm.. I thought that the metal didn't actually hit the plunger tube, so I thought the washer vibrated so much that it would absorb most of the noise, however, i was proven wrong.

#9 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:29 PM

Wrap Teflon tape around the plunger head under the o-ring, enough of it to create a tight fit. The tighter the fit, the quieter the gun and the lower the ranges, so you can find your happy medium. Trust me, I've done this with all of mine.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#10 Dude13

Dude13

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:05 PM

[s]

However, you need to sand down your magazines because the bolt sled does not go all the way back anymore. Regardless, this mod is really worth it. It isn't really hard to sand down the magazines, and once you do, they will fit in your longshot just fine.

-Mehu

Nice mod but I have one question: Is the Plunger head lined up properly? There are two raised rectangular pieces of plastic on the plunger rod near where the head attaches and the head has two slits in it, If the head is not seated on those two rectangles of plastic the bolt won't open enough for the magazine to slide into the gun. I've had that problem before and did not want to see any of my fellow forum dwellers suffer from someone's minor error
Just my 2 cents

Edited by Dude13, 11 February 2009 - 06:19 PM.

#11 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:30 PM

[s]

-Mehu

Nice mod but I have one question: Is the Plunger head lined up properly? There are two raised rectangular pieces of plastic on the plunger rod near where the head attaches and the head has two slits in it, If the head is not seated on those two rectangles of plastic the bolt won't open enough for the magazine to slide into the gun. I've had that problem before and did not want to see any of my fellow forum dwellers suffer from someone's minor error
Just my 2 cents

Nice find..I will be opening my gun up shortly to reinforce the bolt sled and some other parts.. I will check to see if the plunger head is seated correctly when I do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users