I'm Thinking About Trying To Make...

just general Qs for the common homemade

6 replies to this topic

#1 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:06 PM

Does anyone here in the NIC know if Lowes has a PVC pipe cutting service? I'm wanting to make my first snap and will need pipes for an airgun as well.

Does lowes sell springs?

Does lowes sell tubeless tire valves? (last time I had to gut one off my second bike I got when I was 6)

Names for the tire valves will be very much appreciated as well as the springs! :ph34r:
SoothSayer-

"Just adding some lube and twisting it back and forth for a while should make it easier"

Subscribe to my Music page and mods >> http://www.youtube.com/user/OnyxMP312

#2 shoeshine5

shoeshine5

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:12 PM

Lowes will cut pipes for you so they fit in your car for free. As for whether they will cut it to a specific dimension or not really depends on the mood of the employee you get. Sometimes they will use an actual pipe cutter, other times they will use a saw with very rough cuts. Other times they will tell you no.

If your planning to make something as complicated as a Snapbow, you really should be able to do it yourself. You will get more accurate measurements and cleaner cuts that way.

My lowes carries a few springs, but they don't have the selection that my Ace or Home Depot have. A good way to find out would be to visit an actual Lowes.
While you are busy reading this, I am eating your sandwich.

#3 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:15 PM

1. Unless they are very rude at your lowes they will likely cut it for you, just ask.
2. I know some of them do, at last if they are well stocked.
3. They probably wont have those, but correct me if I'm wrong but Wal-mart sells bike tubes that you could use.
4. Tire tubes there in a box in the bike section of Wal-mart.
There Are No Stupid Questions, But There Are A Lot Of Inquisitive Idiots.

#4 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:55 PM

I chop any longer lengths of pipe into usable lengths at the car. They may be willing to do it for you, but I prefer to not have to depend upon employees being in a generous mood. In my experience, Lowe's is the wrong place to look for springs. I bought my tire valves at an auto parts store, but Walmart also carries them.

I'm wanting to make my first snap

If your planning to make something as complicated as a Snapbow, you really should be able to do it yourself. You will get more accurate measurements and cleaner cuts that way.

Just for the record, this mix-up is way too common...
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#5 nerfer63

nerfer63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:09 AM

I don't think lowes carries any useful springs and if you want the valve for free go to a local bike store and ask for some blown tubes they should have plenty for you incase you screw up. For the lowes cutting it for you don't do it I have had bad expierences with them being rude and lazy.

#6 Vistagecko

Vistagecko

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:06 PM

Buy a pair of pipe cutters. Look at that, clean accurate cuts from the comfort of your own home.
QUOTE(The Kart Racing Nerf Man @ May 6 2009, 07:31 PM) View Post

I lubed it again and again, I don't see what an extra 2 centimeters does. I don't think I will cut it off.
BMX Forum

#7 colonel mcscurvey

colonel mcscurvey

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

You know it would be faster to just go to lowes and ask if they have those things.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users