Thousand!

11 replies to this topic

#1 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

I bought a leaky SS2 from Daniel Beaver lately since I've always wanted one. They looked awesome and I do enjoy my powerful air-pistols. I knew eventually I had to address the leak, and so here's what I did:

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's a legit, CPVC'd SS2 with it's secret barrel and system still intact.

Or is it? Let's look inside.

Posted Image

What's that? That does NOT look like a SS2 tank.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As far as I can tell (or am concerned), the leaky SS2 tank was basically toast. I have it sitting around still, and eventually I'll work on it some; failing that, I'll open the tank and take pictures. But here's what I've done in the mean time.

The SS2 has an awesome case, an awesome gimmick, and a great pump. It's downside was a leaky tank system that often left units unusable. The AT2K has a much more reliable tank system and still has a bunch of power, but the entire gun feels downsized and uncomfortable, and lacks a good point of reference for aiming. I set out to remedy the problems of both guns.

I had an AT2K tank around from a previous project and decided to bust it out when I gave up on the SS2 tank. The 2K takes up significantly less space inside the case which gave me plenty of room to work out a trigger mechanism and secret-barrel-retention system. I used the Secretbags 2 as a starting point, looking at what he did for inspiration. Unfortunately, CPVC is a much worse material for this mechanic, so I got creative with the dremel and 1/2" PVC to nest stuff in. This is a work in progress (the trigger mechanism hasn't been finalized since I don't have proper wire to wire it up) so I'm also working on a better barreling system before I get some brass or something.

I had to dremel out very little of the case to get the 2K tank with PVC attachment to fit where the SS2 tank ended and glued it in place. I also cut the end off the stock barrel and placed a dremeled-out (OD and ID) piece of PVC to help guide the CPVC and seal against the secret barrel.

I also had to add a check valve (purchased from McMaster) to the system; it appears as if the check valve, the backpressure release system, and the actual firing air are all contained in the SS2's tank.

After plugging the pump, I connected everything and threaded the tubing underneath the SS2's trigger. I dremeled off a few bits of the secret barrel lock so it would still move and fit against the PVC and 2K tank but nowhere near enough to make it structurally unsound. I glued a small compression spring to the trigger since there isn't one attched to the trigger itself on the SS2; the return mech is, once again, on the airtank. The wiring will be glued to the firing pin, threaded underneath the flat screw directly behind it, and glued to the SS2's trigger.

I was able to range test with my six-inch CPVC barrel, but I had to pull the 2K's pin manually; it shot at least seventy feet at three pumps, which lends itself to a great ROF for the gun once I get the trigger hooked up. I should be able to hit up Ace (or pilfer from my physics lab) and finish the gun by this weekend by wiring up the trigger.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#2 nerfer9

nerfer9

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

Aw, man. I was going to post my SS2 mod soon...its going to be my 500th post and on the date I joined up...the 17th.

#3 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

I love SS2s, I have 2 of them now but one of them has a slight leak out of the check valve which is easily fixable.
That's a really good idea for the many SS2s which spring un-fixable leaks.

#4 L0pper

L0pper

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

Im very interest in the outcome of this. I have the same problem with my SS2 and the needed At2k tank. When I was looking at it myself I couldn't imagine that the forward motion of the trigger would be great enough to pull the At2k pin.

#5 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:25 PM

Im very interest in the outcome of this. I have the same problem with my SS2 and the needed At2k tank. When I was looking at it myself I couldn't imagine that the forward motion of the trigger would be great enough to pull the At2k pin.

When I first got mine, I had the same opinion, and decided to put a Hornet blast button in to fire a BS tank; however, once you remove the SS2 tank the trigger has a MUCH longer stroke than you think.

<edit>

Very nice. Is the whole assembly air-tight enough so that the secret barrel works? I find the secret barrel to be an essential part of the gun; that last-ditch shot has saved me a few times. My SS2 has always been finicky when I pump it up past four pumps: it will misfire around half the time.

I'm working on changing the internal barrel system to make it airtight. At the moment, without a barrel inserted, there is just empty space leaking out into the gun between the tank and seal on the secret barrel. I'm planning on grinding out another, longer piece of PVC to replace the current setup and allow for airtight secret barrel use.

Edited by Ice Nine, 04 February 2009 - 09:29 PM.

Rnbw Cln

#6 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:26 PM

Very nice. Is the whole assembly air-tight enough so that the secret barrel works? I find the secret barrel to be an essential part of the gun; that last-ditch shot has saved me a few times. My SS2 has always been finicky when I pump it up past four pumps: it will misfire around half the time.

#7 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:23 AM

Thank you for this. I also have a leaky SS2 that I picked up at the goodwill here. And couldn't think of what to do to fix it. this is a great idea. Now I just have to sacrifice a At2k.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#8 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:30 AM

Very nice! I hated my SS2 (s) because they took so damn many pumps, and one leaked. If I ever get my hands on a SS2 shell, I will likely do this. Too bad mcmaster doesn't ship to Canada, I would need a check valve.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#9 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:50 PM

Thank you for this. I also have a leaky SS2 that I picked up at the goodwill here. And couldn't think of what to do to fix it. this is a great idea. Now I just have to sacrifice a At2k.

I think it's worth the sacrifice. The leaky SS2s are really finicky and the AT2K is a cool gun in a shitty shell. I harvested the turret and pump off mine for a future project (the pump is for Frankenfucker v4.0) and the turret is useful elsewhere. I figured it would be a good fix for both the 2K's and SS2's weaknesses, at the very least.

Very nice! I hated my SS2 (s) because they took so damn many pumps, and one leaked. If I ever get my hands on a SS2 shell, I will likely do this. Too bad mcmaster doesn't ship to Canada, I would need a check valve.

This seems to fill up at four pumps and i think that five pumps would really be pushing it. It's very quick to fill.

Rnbw Cln

#10 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:52 AM

God damn it, double post. I'm sorry guys, but I just finished working on the first generation of this project tonight.

I don't have pictures at the moment as I'm still playing with it, shooting around the halls and whatnot but I'm pretty pleased with the outcome thus far. I was struggling to come up with a trigger linking system, but during my physics lab section today we made a slide-wire potentiometer and the thin copper wire seemed ideal. I wasn't able to get any from my TA but I did remember I had an old pair of broken iPod headphones, so when I got back to my dorm I cut a four inch section from the wires and glued it in place with a copious amount of super glue and hot glue. The trigger pull is rather sticky but for some reason behaves significantly better when the gun is loaded.

The gun gets great ranges off the six-inch CPVC barrels but I get the feeling it would improve with slightly longer ones. I might try seven and a half inches next since it seems like darts get inaccurate out of sixers. At four pumps it seems that the AT2K tank fills up, and it is literally impossible to pump it past that pressure. I plugged the OPRV in the SS2 pump but I get the feeling that it doesn't make a difference, and the check valve between the two has an OPRV of its own that prevents the tank from filling past that point. In any case the gun feels fantastically weighted, looks great, and works pretty well. I'm going to go back soon and attempt to work on the trigger some more, since I'm still not entirely happy with the stickiness I'm encountering.

Rnbw Cln

#11 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:00 AM

I don't understand your trigger at all, at least in the pictures. Doesn't the black piece with all the glue on it go forward when you pull the trigger? And doesn't an AT2K need a pull, not a push to shoot?

#12 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:18 AM

I don't understand your trigger at all, at least in the pictures. Doesn't the black piece with all the glue on it go forward when you pull the trigger? And doesn't an AT2K need a pull, not a push to shoot?

Yes it does. I glued the wire to the pin, wrapped it around the screw post visible (with the silver, flat-headed screw) in the picture, and glued it to the trigger. The trigger moves forward, pulling the wire with it, which then pulls the pin backwards.

<edit>
Now that I have a non-functioning SS2 tank, is anyone interested in a dissection? I've decided the leak is unfixable and I'm curious as to exactly how much of the tank is usable volume.

Edited by Ice Nine, 07 February 2009 - 02:40 AM.

Rnbw Cln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users