Longbow

scorge of the +,x bow

27 replies to this topic

#1 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:23 PM

So i have been working on this project for a while now and this is what I came up with. Right now this is just a prototype and i plan on posting a full write-up over the weekend. But for now i just want to share some pics of my finally completed project and ask for constructive criticism. Any questions, comments, and flames are welcome.
Posted Image
pre-cut
Posted Image
former internals
Posted Image
cut down to size
Posted Image
you will see
Posted Image
the primer
Posted Image
could you call it a fore grip
Posted Image
general side shot
Posted Image
The stock
Posted Image
this is its current state, you can see that i tried to replicate a x-bow a little with the design. it seems very bulky but it is very comfortable. Remember this is a prototype and there is plenty of room for improvement. there will be a write-up some time this weekend. What do you think?sorry for the large pics.

Edited by balisticjoe, 02 February 2009 - 10:24 PM.

There Are No Stupid Questions, But There Are A Lot Of Inquisitive Idiots.

#2 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:31 PM

Please resize the images.

Oh yeah, that's pretty good. Ranges?
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#3 RVMVTVProductions

RVMVTVProductions

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

A few questions, and a few flames.

Flames:
1. Take just a bit better pictures and size them down, please. Use paint, gimp or photoshop on your computer and re-upload.
2. Work on capitalization just a bit.

Questions:
1. How does this prime?
2. Is this more cosmetic or functional addition? [ie. Spring addition, barrel swap(if there is one)]

Other than that, I like your idea. Good idea for ranges.
SCUN's South County Representative

#4 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:45 PM

1) Does it work?
2) Are you holding the CPVC to the plunger rod via only etape?
3) If it does work, how would it catch?
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#5 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:50 PM

Flames:
1. Take just a bit better pictures and size them down, please. Use paint, gimp or photoshop on your computer and re-upload.

Questions:
1. How does this prime?
2. Is this more cosmetic or functional addition? [ie. Spring addition, barrel swap(if there is one)]

answers:
1. Done, just re-sized them in photobucket
2. Sorry I'm used to word doing that for me
3. You pull on the "t" connector in the back of the gun, similar to the nf crossbow
4. Both-very comfortable, looks decent (could be better in later versions), accurate as all heck, nf spring addition, barrel can be changed (just a PVC coupler). It works great though, no definite ranges (it's dark, its cold it wont be accurate anyway), but about mid 80's to mid 90's(i don't lie about ranges).

#6 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:00 PM

Flames:

Questions:
1. How does this prime?

answers:
1. Done, just re-sized them in photobucket
2. Sorry I'm used to word doing that for me
3. You pull on the "t" connector in the back of the gun, similar to the nf crossbow
4. Both-very comfortable, looks decent (could be better in later versions), accurate as all heck, nf spring addition, barrel can be changed (just a PVC coupler). It works great though, no definite ranges (it's dark, its cold it wont be accurate anyway), but about mid 80's to mid 90's(i don't lie about ranges).

Just to show you what he means RVMVTVProductions' for question number 3....

Posted Image

Also,

1) Does it work?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure the original Longhsot catch is still used. Though, I don't know how, because the original plunger had the catch part on the back of it.

Posted Image
the primer

#7 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:08 PM

Also,

1) Does it work?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure the original Longhsot catch is still used. Though, I don't know how, because the original plunger had the catch part on the back of it.

Posted Image
the primer

Yes the original plunger rod is still used. A piece of dowel is connected inside the small "crater" (fits perfectly)in the back of the plunger rod and fed through the back. it is very satisfying to prime and here the small click.

#8 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:35 AM

Nice, Hope that turns out well. Also, on the bottom end of the stock, to make it more comfy, you might wanna put 90 degree elbows on instead of Ts.
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#9 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:53 AM

Honestly, that is pretty darn ugly, and it isn't all that clean, but that is a pretty fantastic idea. With all the recent mods/homemades, an xbow should be pretty much obsolete. This mod is accessible to anyone. Really good work.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#10 twenty4

twenty4

• Banned
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:32 AM

It looks like it would be unreliable. What are the ranges?

#11 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:37 AM

Great concept, now what you need to do is glue two LS plunger tubes together, replace the plunger rod, and use an AR-15 full-length spring to power it. That way you use the whole LS body, and you get air power that actually does compare to the +Bow.

#12 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

I like it! My only concern is that the PVC addition onto the plunger rod is adding a significant amount of weight to it, which should slow it down. It may not make a large enough difference to matter, but it's a thing to consider. During revisions, you might try some lighter-weight materials on the plunger itself. The stock is fine how it is in terms of material; just want to help you speed it up during the firing process a bit. Otherwise, I like it! Pretty sweet. Nice and grungy. Slowguitarman summed it up pretty well about it being accessible to anyone. Except for this part.

With all the recent mods/homemades, an xbow should be pretty much obsolete.

----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#13 Drew is nerfing

Drew is nerfing

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:42 PM

interesting. I don't understand why everyone wants crossbows so much. There are so many cheaper ways to get guns to shoot the same distance, if not farther! this is a prime example. I'm guessing the LS and materials together probably cost 40 bucks. Shoots the same distance and operates the same as a crossbow, but is approx. $200 less! Good concept, but I don't see why it needs to prime like a crossbow. I find that the bolt on the LS works just fine, even with extra springs in the gun.

#14 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:20 PM

Except for this part.

I'll elaborate. I mean obsolete as far as people going crazy trying to get one. The +bow, snapbow, crosssnap and now this are all cheaper/easier to get than an xbow. If you have an xbow or find one for cheap, use it, by all means. It is pointless to pay a lot of money for one, though. Unless it's the Guru, of course.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#15 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:38 PM

I really like hereticorp's idea...
I just got a cheap LS, and i might try that.

Anyway, OP, I would suggest using a thinner piping for the faux stock; it looks like there is very little hand space.

Good job!
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#16 Ner Commando

Ner Commando

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:10 PM

A little cleaner and a better stock this could make an amazing gun.

#17 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:10 PM

Curses! You stole my idea and my super cool name for it. Great minds think alike, eh?

You got it done a lot sooner than mine will be (if it ever gets done...I started it like 6+ months ago), but then again I was planning something a little more complicated; it required a completely new catch and trigger.

...which I just realized is probably completely unnecessary. Holy crap, I may actually be able to complete a major project of mine!

Edited by jwasko, 03 February 2009 - 03:36 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#18 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

I don't like the name (it's no longbow), but I think it's fairly cool other than that.

~Br1

#19 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

Nice, Hope that turns out well. Also, on the bottom end of the stock, to make it more comfy, you might wanna put 90 degree elbows on instead of Ts.

I would but i ran out half way through. Still its fairly comfy.

Great concept, now what you need to do is glue two LS plunger tubes together, replace the plunger rod, and use an AR-15 full-length spring to power it. That way you use the whole LS body, and you get air power that actually does compare to the +Bow.

I would try that but i don't have an extra $80 on me. if you want to try, more power to you, but range wise and war legality this works out fine.

interesting. I don't understand why everyone wants crossbows so much. There are so many cheaper ways to get guns to shoot the same distance, if not farther! this is a prime example. I'm guessing the LS and materials together probably cost 40 bucks. Shoots the same distance and operates the same as a crossbow, but is approx. $200 less! Good concept, but I don't see why it needs to prime like a crossbow. I find that the bolt on the LS works just fine, even with extra springs in the gun.

thanks for getting the whole embodiment of the design for saving money and simplicity of it. If i were to make it use the bolt to prime it would require a lot more parts and not work as well, now it primes in a similar fashion as the nf.

Except for this part.

I'll elaborate. I mean obsolete as far as people going crazy trying to get one. The +bow, snapbow, crosssnap and now this are all cheaper/easier to get than an xbow. If you have an xbow or find one for cheap, use it, by all means. It is pointless to pay a lot of money for one, though. Unless it's the Guru, of course.

Again thank you for the compliments. This gun was partially made because I wanted a x-bow but didn't feel it was worth $200+. this is the perfect replacement for the everyday modder that wants a long-range springer and not born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

A little cleaner and a better stock this could make an amazing gun.

I know its not clean but I haven't completely finished it, and i have a design for a diff rent stock.

Curses! You stole my idea and my super cool name for it. Great minds think alike, eh?

You got it done a lot sooner than mine will be (if it ever gets done...I started it like 6+ months ago), but then again I was planning something a little more complicated; it required a completely new catch and trigger.

...which I just realized is probably completely unnecessary. Holy crap, I may actually be able to complete a major project of mine!

well I have had this idea of having the ls prime like this for a while now(spring break '07) it wasn't until now that i have all the parts i needed to get it done. Glad i could help

I don't like the name (it's no longbow), but I think it's fairly cool other than that.

~Br1

the name comes from the fact that its a ls "converted" into a x-bow equivalent blaster(+-bow, snapbow). but i haven't come up with a specific name for this one.

I have designed a new stock to replace the current one due to complaint of the size and weight. The new one is a lot harder to make but is a lot lighter and looks a lot more like the x-bow. Any name ideas?

#20 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:44 PM

My only concern is that the PVC addition onto the plunger rod is adding a significant amount of weight to it, which should slow it down. It may not make a large enough difference to matter, but it's a thing to consider. During revisions, you might try some lighter-weight materials on the plunger itself. The stock is fine how it is in terms of material; just want to help you speed it up during the firing process a bit.

Yes the original plunger rod is still used. A piece of dowel is connected inside the small "crater" (fits perfectly)in the back of the plunger rod and fed through the back.

#21 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:12 PM

My only concern is that the PVC addition onto the plunger rod is adding a significant amount of weight to it, which should slow it down. It may not make a large enough difference to matter, but it's a thing to consider. During revisions, you might try some lighter-weight materials on the plunger itself. The stock is fine how it is in terms of material; just want to help you speed it up during the firing process a bit.

Yes the original plunger rod is still used. A piece of dowel is connected inside the small "crater" (fits perfectly)in the back of the plunger rod and fed through the back.

The only thing BJ's post answers is if the original plunder rod is used. Falcon pointed out that weight is being added to the plunger rod.
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#22 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

I think you should keep the longbow name. It's not like people leave the crossbow parts on a crossbow.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#23 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

If you're just glueing that barrel onto the pulnger tube, that should get some pretty nice ranges. It would eliminate the dead space that every other mod has. Painting it would be a good idea too.
I like it.
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#24 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:38 PM

I would try that but i don't have an extra $80 on me. if you want to try, more power to you, but range wise and war legality this works out fine.

Why bother? I have a +Bow. It's tougher, stronger, faster, and easier to make. At least for me.

I was just giving you suggestions for future work in the same genre, a longer spring and a larger chamber, especially with a replacement plunger head (Simple in the LS) would give you a monster of a springer.

#25 iMod1

iMod1

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:04 PM

Would you happen to have some finished internal pics? I am just curious but I will wait for the write up.
-iMod
A computer once beat me at chess, but after that it was no match for me at kick boxing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users