Brought it back from the dead...

16 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Tubb

Mr Tubb

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:25 AM

Hello fellow nerfers.

(First off, this isn't much of a complicated mod. However, I haven't seen any double shots like this, so I may as well post it.)

Anyway, I went to target on Friday to get myself another Double Shot. This was to be a replacement for the one my brother got me for Christmas (which I broke the next morning :P .) This time, it lasted about a day and a half. The priming string came loose, so I couldn't prime the gun. Disappointed, I threw it in the trash thinking I had wasted ten dollars. However, I had the thought later to try and salvage the spring for use in my nite-finder. Not caring much for the gun any more, I tore off the entire "barrel" assembly. Then, I realized that I could still use it with a bit of work. Here is the result...
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
Basically, I discarded the barrel assembly, made a simple PVC handle, and hot-glued two of the shells over the air flow holes. Because it already looks likes a franken-shotty sort of gun, I'm not going to fix the paint defects or clean up the hot glue (and because I'm kind of lazy right now.) To prime the gun, you simply have to pull on the handle until you hear a fourth click, like so...
Posted Image
It gets around 35-foot ranges with taggers, which is what it shot out of the box (strange, seeing as my first double shot usually barely got darts out of the barrels.) I now like this gun quite a bit, since the slow shell reloading process has been eliminated and it's a two-shot springer. I'm just curious, has anyone else been able to make a broken gun into an improvement like this?

Edited by Mr. Tubb, 01 February 2009 - 12:30 AM.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side."
-Han Solo; Star Wars: A New Hope (IV)

#2 L3G10N

L3G10N

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:34 AM

Nice mod I might just "break" my double shot to try this sucker out. Since I accidently cut my gun down a bit too far without thinking shell loading is a bitch. Again nice mod and I think I'll try this out.
Or my personal favorite, the mini butane blow torch! That will thing will remove the gay from of Clay Aiken.
-Banshee

#3 foxdemon82

foxdemon82

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:16 AM

It seems that you are giving the impression that doubleshots break easily (or your just rough with your stuff :ph34r: ) but anyways this is a very nice "slavage"
QUOTE(Glint @ Feb 15 2009, 07:07 PM) View Post

So stop with all the "new Recon" crap. This thing definately isn't a Recon, I'll wager my soul. Someone can quote me on that if they'd like

#4 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:56 AM

They actually do break bretty easily. I've gone through 2, but threw both away as I didn't know about this. That string is constantly rubbing against the shell, and mine did this so much that when I primed it, it just snapped.

But yes, this is an awesome mod. I love seeing mods like these that make something out of nothing :ph34r:

Edited by ilzot, 01 February 2009 - 09:57 AM.

QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#5 BustaDartInYOurAss

BustaDartInYOurAss

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:50 AM

Another thing, If it is fully broken. Try to talvage the springs, there really good for a secondary spring for a Night Finder, also I managed to get one to fit in my Crossfire and the thing is amasing, as far as crossfires go.

#6 x I forgot which

x I forgot which

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

Just a question. When you tore apart your double shot's barrel assembly, were there any necessary pieces in the foregrip? Because if there aren't, I'm going to take minimization a step further and saw that off too.
QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 8 2008, 07:57 AM) *

Killakit, during your stay here you've given me no reason to believe your not completely retarded. I'm the slightest infraction away from annoyance becoming unwillingness to coexist with you.

VACC

#7 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:03 PM

It seems that you are giving the impression that doubleshots break easily

That's my experience. I've gone through 3, and all have broken after light use.

#8 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:12 PM

It seems that you are giving the impression that doubleshots break easily

That's my experience. I've gone through 3, and all have broken after light use.

I've gone through 2 doubleshots, and the plunger rod on my RFR shattered into 3 pieces after very light use. Buzzbee Springers are shit. I'm worried about the new Belt Blaster following suit.

Nice mod! I'm going to see if I can salvage my 2 Doubleshots like this.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#9 Mr Tubb

Mr Tubb

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

Just a question. When you tore apart your double shot's barrel assembly, were there any necessary pieces in the foregrip? Because if there aren't, I'm going to take minimization a step further and saw that off too.

Nope, the only thing that the entire barrel assembly does is hold the shells (you can just glue them on after this mod) and make it easier to prime (there's a little pulley system.)
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side."

#10 Arconious

Arconious

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

A friend of mine has went through two. One lasted a couple years of light to heavy use. The other lasted a war and a half.

They are inconsistant to say the least.

#11 x I forgot which

x I forgot which

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:39 PM

Nope, the only thing that the entire barrel assembly does is hold the shells (you can just glue them on after this mod) and make it easier to prime (there's a little pulley system.)

So there are no pieces in the yellow foregrip at all? Schweet. I guess my hypothesis was right, although I didn't want to break my doubleshot due to lack of cash and my doubleshot getting a consistent 35 foot range with only the barrel sawed off. As for them breaking, this is my second one, the first one I got before I got into modding, and it took about four months to break. It was worth the money, however. Anyhow, someone may be able to make one of the shittiest guns in existence a semi-worthy secondary.

Killakit, during your stay here you've given me no reason to believe your not completely retarded. I'm the slightest infraction away from annoyance becoming unwillingness to coexist with you.

VACC

#12 nerfman600

nerfman600

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:55 PM

I did that exact mod, but with cpvc. Just to tell you, most of the reasons why doubleshots would break is because the tube connecting the plunger to the shell rips off because of cheap glue and horrible crafstmenship. They make it so the tube has presssure built on it when shooting so after a few shots it rips apart. I just glued it back on. Mine hits high 50's with taggers.
Signatures, phigmatures, who uses those anymore. Oh me.

#13 x I forgot which

x I forgot which

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:57 PM

I just sawed the barrel off at the ejection spring, and I advise anyone who likes being able to cock their doubleshot not to do it. I'm probably going to have to do this mod. Also, does this mod affect air-seal? It looks like it might if you put a generous enough amount of glue on there. Do I unscrew the screw at the break and just take it out and attach the rope to a handle? I'm going to try this as my *calculates and observes previously modded guns* fourth/fifth modification. Wish me luck.

Edited by x/+ I forgot which, 01 February 2009 - 11:01 PM.

VACC

#14 Mr Tubb

Mr Tubb

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:34 AM

Also, does this mod affect air-seal? It looks like it might if you put a generous enough amount of glue on there. Do I unscrew the screw at the break and just take it out and attach the rope to a handle?

If you use enough glue you shouldn't see a drop in range. I actually just tugged on both ends of the gun (the barrel assembly was just dangling by the priming string) and something snapped on the barrel assembly to free the string from the pulley. And, unless you're fairly strong (I'm not,) it's quite difficult to prime without a handle. I'm going to fix this thing cosmetically (with some foam posterboard and silver spray paint) next weekend.

#15 smeagolsaur

smeagolsaur

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:43 AM

I've gone through 5 doubleshots and 2 rapid fire rifles.

#16 x I forgot which

x I forgot which

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

Also, does this mod affect air-seal? It looks like it might if you put a generous enough amount of glue on there. Do I unscrew the screw at the break and just take it out and attach the rope to a handle?

If you use enough glue you shouldn't see a drop in range. I actually just tugged on both ends of the gun (the barrel assembly was just dangling by the priming string) and something snapped on the barrel assembly to free the string from the pulley. And, unless you're fairly strong (I'm not,) it's quite difficult to prime without a handle. I'm going to fix this thing cosmetically (with some foam posterboard and silver spray paint) next weekend.

I meant it might increase them a little. However, I've yet to do it, so I won't say anything. I'm trying to find a strong enough string to use to reinforce the priming string, then make the handle. Right now, I'm gluing the shells.

VACC

#17 x I forgot which

x I forgot which

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

EDIT: Double posted. Sorry guys.

Edited by x/+ I forgot which, 02 February 2009 - 03:24 PM.

VACC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users