Photo

Chicago Area Nerf Out

ChANO, INDEED the best war on April 11. Recapping now.

169 replies to this topic

#151 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:18 PM

Cons
1 -Getting insulted by Zorn ( :D ).

1: What?

I was kind of joking about the posting thing, which I'm apparently still doing. You got me with your BBB alot, though (I got you, too!).

~F!nnster

#152 Snake51886

Snake51886

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:29 PM

Great war everyone! Thanks again to Ice Nine and Zorn.

Pros
- Got to meet a bunch of the midwest nerfers
- Found out my PAS is intimidating...
- Talking shop and getting some new ideas
- The birth of the Chicago Nerf Mob (Rich, Tommy Gunn, and me)

Cons
- The wind, but having the sun shine was beautiful
- CTF in the park was fun but a bit crazy with the campers

Highlights of the day:
- Having the 3 members of the Chicago Mob against 7 of the other team. When the smoke cleared the
Chicago Mob came out on top.
- Point blank dodging Ice Nine's rush with his pistol

I should have the pictures we took up after the Easter holiday. I'll sort the (somewhat limited) video footage and edit it into something watchable.

#153 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:25 AM

- Found out my PAS is intimidating...
- Having the 3 members of the Chicago Mob against 7 of the other team. When the smoke cleared the
Chicago Mob came out on top.
- Point blank dodging Ice Nine's rush with his pistol

Admittedly, you got two solid shots on me with that thing in one round. I had justification to be wary.

Was that that last 3/15 round? Where it was just three people with you two attempting to pick me off with the PAS and AT3K? That was a fun standoff. Thank God for gun jams.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#154 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:19 AM

Top 10 reasons why everyone who did not attend ChANO should be ashamed.

10. Plenty of Nerfers (And Nerf Herders)

9. Reasonable Temperatures.

8. A few Trees to hide behind. (Or fall out of(I saw you do it twice(you know who you are)))

7. Manicured lawn that is easy to find darts on.

6. Only 1 BBBB

5. People Bringing Sucky guns and doing well, even Dual Wielding Sucky guns.

4. no LSW (Or scooby(my car) getting 31mpg)

3. Shooting Merzlin over and over with my ultramaveric while he was trying to pick up his shit.

2. Skank getting the attention she so deserved and learning that with practice and refinements she could easily engage people from 200ft away.

1. Chicago Police driving by on the walking path not even paying attention to us. ( I really like cops who know their jobs)

bottom 10

10, Ohio Turnpike $6.75

9. Indiana Turnpike $7.75

8. Illinois Turnpke $lost count (but I spent $48 in gas and $42 in tolls for trip)

7. Chicago Skyline Bridge $$$$ ( and they wonder why people aren't traveling)

6. TomTom deciding I would like a tour of the Ghetto on my way home. (If I come back I'm programming it to follow the Blues Brothers car chase)

5. Getting off the Turnpike in Elkhart when I saw a Meijer and meeting a GORGEOUS woman with a broken car only to Realize I took my tools out of my car to make room my for nerf guns.

4. Not using the Horney Salvo

3. All my airguns leaking and performing badly in cold.

2. loosing all but a small handful of my standard darts.

1. Not bringing my PAS or Snap Rifle.

Edited by Mr BadWrench, 12 April 2009 - 10:20 AM.

NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#155 LiterSize

LiterSize

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:01 AM

Nothing more satisfying than hearing that "thwack" against the shell of a crossfire shield, for sure. It was good to see so many nerfer out and about, in spite of the cold and the wind that really forced us to go up close (unless we were packing a PAS or something else that shot crazy ranges). Seeing a whole bunch of the mods and stuff I've read about finally in action was pretty cool!

I'm working on the pics, video, and personal writeup. I'm aiming to have'em done by the end of the week.

If anything, I'm sad I got there late and missed out on how ineffective vulcans turned out to be?

#156 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:26 PM

Nothing more satisfying than hearing that "thwack" against the shell of a crossfire shield, for sure. It was good to see so many nerfer out and about, in spite of the cold and the wind that really forced us to go up close (unless we were packing a PAS or something else that shot crazy ranges). Seeing a whole bunch of the mods and stuff I've read about finally in action was pretty cool!

I'm working on the pics, video, and personal writeup. I'm aiming to have'em done by the end of the week.

If anything, I'm sad I got there late and missed out on how ineffective vulcans turned out to be?

Yea, I'm still pissed that I got there 2 hours late. I still got to participate in the ass-end of CTF, though. The vulcan actually scored a hit, I believe. I don't know who it was that got hit, though.

#157 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:04 PM

Zorn and I walked around the park for about forty-five minutes today. Here's the result.

Posted Image

That's my backpack filled with everything we found. Now, just the darts.

Posted Image

Someone left these, like, thirty yards from the staging area.

Posted Image

Snake, your darts were crafty and camouflaged. Here's what we were able to recover.

Posted Image

Now, the what-the-fuck awards, presented from least to most.

Posted Image

What.

Posted Image

What.

Posted Image

WHAT.

Now, the group shot.

Posted Image

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you care enough to get some of your darts back, but it'll probably be best for you to wait for the next Chano. I am eagerly awaiting the rest of the photos and video.

Edited by Ice Nine, 13 April 2009 - 06:57 PM.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#158 Snake51886

Snake51886

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:42 PM

@Ice Nine-

I was kind of surprised the PAS did as well as it did in the weather. Yes the last 3-15 round was where we had you at the end. I sucked a dart into my plunger which jammed the gun...you did admirably with the LotR Crossbow. Hopefully next time we can have a standoff with your frankenfucker and my PAS.

@ Litersize-

The block with the Crossfire shield was Effeminate. I thought I had you dead to rights and then a resounding ping as my shot bounced off. I was amazed. You were extremely solid with the pistol and shield combo, much more than I could have imagined. Mad props

#159 Demon Lord

Demon Lord

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:34 AM

I'll be the first to admit, I'm the one who fell out the tree. Twice. Nice curve to run up however I could not get the speed I needed to stay up the tree.
The war was a lot of fun, I look forward to the next war and wars around the Chicago area.
Pros:
-Got to meet a TON of new people
-Discovered my lever action longshot is STILL something to be feared
-Bombardment with said longshot during CTF was quite fun
-Actually fielding all of my nerf guns with friends of mine to prove even the simple mods kick ass much ass as the tough ones
-Overall having a lot of fun with good people who enjoy the hobby and sport

Cons:
-Too long between rounds
-More game options
-Honesty at times could have been much better

@Zorn: Hey! Not my fault my friends are slow!

Edited by Demon Lord, 13 April 2009 - 03:44 AM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Mar 7 2011, 09:03 AM) View Post

Don't worry so much about what other people will allow. Throw your own wars and kick your friends' asses until they all want one.

#160 LiterSize

LiterSize

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:26 PM

So I missed this portion of the day when a lot of folks were using vulcans and got destroyed. So what happened then? Anyone care to fill me in?

Taken from my blog... pics and video by the end of the week.

This weekend marked the first meetup for a Nerf battle I knew about that was organized through the Nerf Internet Community and staged in the city of Chicago, specifically Hyde Park. Most of the Chicagoland Nerf Wars I had heard about were organized in the surrounding suburbs, this was a nice change of pace.

11 AM, April 11th. Information Day. It took a member of California's vaunted Nerf community to set the whole shebang up, but finally it happened. "Ice Nine" from Nerfhaven chose to go to school in Our Fair City and he confessed an itchy trigger finger. Having participated in Nerf Wars in California, he and his roommate, "Zorn's Lemma" decided to get the ball rolling and put out word MONTHS before on Nerfhaven, inviting all interested fighters and guests. One of whom, was yours truly.

Now I'd organized some battles before within my circle of friends but never went so far as to organize a group from Nerfhaven. This was how I found myself wandering around Promontory Point on a Saturday afternoon. I figured all I had to do was look for the brightly colored weaponry, name calling, and a large group of people. Coming over the hill, I looked down and saw some foam darts laying around. And more. Following the trail, I found them in the middle of capture the flag. Quick introductions and a team assignment later, I was out there with my Disk Shot pistol and crossfire shield in hand.

Until that day it had been awhile since I'd been on the field. Running from position to position, jumping, taking pot shots... it was coming back. Not entirely sure how good I felt about running into six blasters and an N-Force sword camped around the flag objective but whatever, it was the nature of the game and I had to remember how to play, and remember fast.

There was the familiar click of priming handles, the snap of plunger heads colliding along plunger tubes, and the "foomp" from air guns. Darts whistled past my ear crashing into benches and playground equipment. People were yelling, running, and jumping all over the place. At times all I saw were swirls of the yellow and red flags, the grass, the sky, and the various bright colors of the plastic Sometimes all I could hear was the pounding of my heart. Sometimes I opted to sit out so I could take photos and video; it was crazy to make sense of all the action and small struggles that comprised each round. Hunters became the hunted, teams were dwindled, mates disappeared. Unlikely and unarmed heroes rose above the ranks to unlock their achievements for victory.

As the day went on, I was able to attach names to faces. Snake, Ice9, Zorn, Mr.Badwrench, DemonLord, Finnster to name a few. All decent enough fellows. There were maybe close to 20 total, and the darts came flying fast and furious during each round.

Some personal highlights came from running through large crowds of the other team untouched and tagging at least one of them. My "Han Solo" moment chasing a target and then running into his entire team, having to run away and find my front lines again, yelling "TRAIN!" to make sure they knew I was in trouble. Dead man rushes, one of which ended up with me going headfirst into a high powered PAS (pump-action shotgun). Very deadly, very accurate and not the smartest idea. Somehow though, the only contact I heard was the "ptank" it made bouncing off my crossfire shield. When I looked up, I saw the amazed looks and kudos, confirming I achieved the unlikely. A quick shot and a sprint to safety later, I finally got to relish the vindication. Close to that point, I figured I should play a bit more and then call it a day because I couldn't do anything better for the rest of the fight. For me, the fight was finished.

In addition to the fighting, just seeing everyone's mods in person was finally seeing money where their mouths were. It was confirmed with my own eyes the ranges these guns got, and damn it was kinda scary to think one day I would be on the other end of that barrel. Spare parts were up for grabs and people were able to trade and sell as needed, as the community helps each other out to get our mods to be all they can be. Or at the least, open up space for new acquisitions.

Living the dream, as they say. Words to practice and thoughts to action. Hey, when in doubt... squeeze the trigger and give it a shot.

ChANO, OUT!

EDIT: Pics just went up.

http://photobucket.com/FFA_Battle

Posted Image

Edited by LiterSize, 13 April 2009 - 05:40 PM.

#161 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

Zorn and I walked around the park for about forty-five minutes today. Here's the result.

Posted Image

That's my backpack filled with everything we found. Now, just the darts.

Posted Image

Someone left these, like, thirty yards from the staging area.

Posted Image

Snake, your darts were crafty and camouflaged. Here's what we were able to recover.

Posted Image

Now, the what-the-fuck awards, presented from least to most.

Posted Image

What.

Posted Image

What.

Posted Image

WHAT.

Now, the group shot.

Posted Image

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you care enough to get some of your darts back, but it'll probably be best for you to wait for the next Chano. I am eagerly awaiting the rest of the photos and video.

Wow, 1/8 of those darts are mine, along with the CPVC and the 1/2" endcap. I don't care, all of that stuff is only worth a couple of bucks in total. Kind of funny that I was talking about all of those things half-way home. Well, if ya still have that stuff (the darts are grey frost king with #6 washers and foggy hot glue tips and the total WTF CDDTs and stream line screw-ups) at the next ChANO, I'll reclaim them. Also, it's nice that LiterSize got a good picture of my K9special/ChainGun. I also fell out of the tree, I climbed it to see if I could, and I could, I got down and got all scraped up. I eventually decided it wasn't worth it since I would have got shot to s*** anyway.

~F!nnster

Edited by bigred1rifleman, 13 April 2009 - 03:41 PM.

#162 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:51 PM

Posted Image

Maverick rush ::D

Edited by Zorn's Lemma, 13 April 2009 - 03:51 PM.

"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#163 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:36 PM

Posted Image

That's my maverick! :D Now my new desktop wallpaper. Period.

#164 LiterSize

LiterSize

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

In hindsight, anyone else get to thinking that the raider just might have been good to have during the battle?

#165 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

In hindsight, anyone else get to thinking that the raider just might have been good to have during the battle?

Well modded, I'm sure it would kick ass in the playground. But otherwise, I just don't think that it would get the range. When that gun comes out though, be prepared for a longshot that can store 72 rounds instead of 24. Having dual drum mags would be fucking amazing. Muahahaha!! Jesus, just think about it! Throw a shotgun pump on that sucker and you'll be a fucking god!

Edited by Mehku, 14 April 2009 - 03:47 PM.

#166 mindlord

mindlord

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

Brouhaha That was some fun! This Nerf war has given me so many Ideas. Hope to see you all at SoF in Topeka, KS!

-The kid with the purple

#167 LiterSize

LiterSize

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

I've got a rough cut of the video up on Vimeo, so I'm asking anyone here who was at ChANO to pm me for the password to have a look at it before I go full on live with it. I just want to make sure everyone's kosher with their images being used and posted up. Thanks!

#168 Unsane

Unsane

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:16 PM

Finally got my validation! Woot!

Chano was awesome fun!

First war I've been to, by far the largest scale battles I've ever been in as well. My friend and I both had a blast.

I was a bit worried at first that I would be majorly outclassed due to having all stock weapons. Turned out to be not as much of a problem as I thought it would be. Although some of those modded blasters, especially the PAS's I think? stung quite nicely when hit.

The Vulcans really sucked early on in the morning. I'm thinking maybe it was just too chilly out for them. Mine seemed to work fairly well at the end of the day when I let someone borrow it.

Worst part of the day for me, was when I came to the painful realization that... Fat guys *can't* jump. Tried doing a rush down the middle, jumping up into the mulched area during CTF and managed to dig a nice divot on the ground. My leg hurt a bit for the next few days.

Thanks for hosting it Ice Nine and Zorn. Was a blast!

Edited by Unsane, 20 April 2009 - 11:28 PM.

= Unsane =

"I am the Prince of Procrastination. I'd probably be the King, but I haven't gotten around to filling out the paperwork yet..." - Unsane

#169 Nerf trans

Nerf trans

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:55 AM

I might be able to go if it's ok with my parents. I'm looking forward to maybe coming :D

#170 hummer

hummer

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:57 PM

I'm only adding to the necro becuase I don't want you going to a war that already happened. HOWEVER, there is one this year in the same area Link
Into the fires of battle!
Onto the anvil of war!
QUOTE(BustaNinja @ Nov 23 2010, 04:09 PM) View Post

He parkours over flat land while yelling tactical orders at no one. Demon Lord is the most legit ballsy nerfer of all time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users