Photo

Chicago Area Nerf Out

ChANO, INDEED the best war on April 11. Recapping now.

169 replies to this topic

#1 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

The when:
April 11, 2009 (April 4 and 18 left open as replacement dates if the 11 turns out to be problematic), from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM.

The where:
Promontory Point Park in Chicago (meeting point at 5454 South Shore Dr, Chicago, IL, 60615).

Posted Image

The park is enormous and open to use; there is another park a block or two nearby that can be used as a secondary site in case it gets boring here.

There is a Metra stop within five blocks and a 55 bus stop within two (the 55 departs from the Garfield Red Line stop).

The who:
Attending:

Ice Nine
Zorn's Lemma
Merzlin
Suitcase Murphey +1
Snake51886 +1
bobafan
Demon Lord +n, n ε N
mindlord +m, [{m ε W} ∩ {0 ≤ m ≤ 10}]

Maybes:

Daniel Beaver
supercellghost
bigred1rifleman +2
Salindin_Naz
Carbon
Ryan201821
LiterSize
Mehku +2
nerf mafia
deathwolf +1
Unsane +1

The relevant information:
I've been to a few wars in SoCal (none recently) and now that I'm in college I've got the Nerfing itch back. There's a decent amount of people on my floor of the dorm who really enjoy playing with our blasters when we bring them out, but the weather in Chicago winter basically limits us to indoor stuff only; plus, my room mate (Zorn's Lemma) and I are the only two modders on the floor making the volume of modded guns available to others here rather small. It seems that the Midwest, while not barren, is under-repped when compared to the East and West coast and we thought we'd do our part to change that.

Here's what to bring:
- A few guns; at least one primary and at least one pistol. We'll have loaner guns but you'll be more comfortable using what you have used previously. The pistol is for pistol rounds.
- Ammo, and a fair amount of it. Once again we'll have loaner darts but we can not promise they'll fit your barrel material.
- Eye protection. We have some of those goofy Dart Tag protection glasses and two chemistry lab protection goggles so we can provide under pressure but there's a limited supply. If you don't bring any, you can't play; there's a dollar store two blocks away where you can buy some crappy sunglasses to use.
- Some food, or at least some money. We'll probably order a pizza or something for lunch, or we can walk to one of the nearby restaurants.

Here's what you shouldn't bring:
- Absolutely no singled Titans. Plugged Titans must be shotgunned to at least three barrels - a minimum of three barrels attached to the airtank, with all barrels firing upon the trigger pull.
- No singled AND plugged 4Bs, LBBs, National Geographic Guns, or Signal Launchers. Plugged will imply shotgunned to at least three barrels.
- Special cases on the above banned guns will be considered on a case-by-case basis; if you feel you have something that is listed as banned but doesn't perform powerfully enough to warrant banning you may bring it, but please don't waste our time with a singled, plugged Titan where you shotgun-load a single barrel. I would ban SM5Ks but almost no one has one or uses one.
- Air-powered homemades (spring-powered ones are acceptable) will be considered on a case by case basis as well but the limitations on those will be stricter, since they're generally able to put out a lot more air than most of the big blasters.
- In the pistol rounds, the following will be banned: any of the PistolSplat variants, SM750s, Secret Shot 2s, and Splitfires. Basically, no airtank blasters; however, Spiderman guns in their wrist-strap forms will be allowed. Again, if you feel that you have a gun that should be an exception to this banned list, by all means, bring it along for testing.
- Do NOT bring anything painted all black. That is bad and you won't be allowed to use it.

We'll play a variety of types of game throughout the day, generally leaning towards the West Coast standards laid forth in Badger's etiquette thread (stickied, please read it). The three certainties thus far are CTF, team deathmatch, and pistols round. ZL and I will work on creating other, more unique games.

Now, after lunch today we went out to the park we're playing at and took some pictures. There's still a lot of snow on the ground but these plus the GMaps pictures should give you a good idea of what the playing area will be like.

Edited by Ice Nine, 18 April 2009 - 08:32 PM.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#2 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Let's do this, guys.

I put the Attending/Maybe list at the top of the first post for ease of use and finding.

Edited by Ice Nine, 09 April 2009 - 09:41 PM.

Rnbw Cln

#3 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:41 PM

FINALLY! Count me in!

Edited by Merzlin, 02 February 2009 - 07:00 PM.

#4 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:00 PM

Cohosting this with Ice9 looks to be quite interesting as we've multiple locations nearby we could used based on turnout.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#5 Suitcase Murphy

Suitcase Murphy

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

Hell yes. Put me +1 down for maybe, the reason being I have to be able to get the day off from work, so 99% positive.
QUOTE(One Man Clan)
Kill yourself......All of you.

QUOTE(Echnalaid)
I don't know, Busta said it, so I thought it was a valid word.

If Busta said it, it must be valid.

#6 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

Sorry Ice, we already had the first CANO up in Cleveland over a year ago. You guys are gonna have to find a new name for your war.
SexD Warves

#7 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

Put me down as a maybe. I wouldn't mind spending a weekend in Chicago.

#8 supercellghost

supercellghost

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:55 PM

Put me down as a maybe.

#9 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:01 PM

Sorry Ice, we already had the first CANO up in Cleveland over a year ago. You guys are gonna have to find a new name for your war.

Man. CANO sounds far cooler than ChANO. Thing is, have you guys kept up CANOs? If not I would almost call the naming rights forfeit.

In any case, I talked to a few people on the floor and most of them will be in, at least for a bit. The attending list is probably going to be a low estimate.

Rnbw Cln

#10 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

I'm about two hours away so you can put me down as a maybe. MAYBE

~Br1

#11 hummer

hummer

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:19 PM

YES! YES! THIS IS DELICIOUS! Although i won't be able to go if it's the 18th or the 4th, I'm almost certain I can come (dad has a marathon in Chicago). Could you be so kind, however as to post the end time? i know you'll probably say "when everyone's tired" or something like that, but i kinda wanna know.
Into the fires of battle!
Onto the anvil of war!
QUOTE(BustaNinja @ Nov 23 2010, 04:09 PM) View Post

He parkours over flat land while yelling tactical orders at no one. Demon Lord is the most legit ballsy nerfer of all time.

#12 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

YES! YES! THIS IS DELICIOUS! Although i won't be able to go if it's the 18th or the 4th, I'm almost certain I can come (dad has a marathon in Chicago). Could you be so kind, however as to post the end time? i know you'll probably say "when everyone's tired" or something like that, but i kinda wanna know.

It appears as if everyone so far is down with the eleventh, and I said in the first post on the second line that it'll end at four.

Rnbw Cln

#13 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

Now I know that this is an EXTREMELY LARGE request, but is it possible for it to be on Feb. 27, 28, or Mar. 1?

Edited by bigred1rifleman, 01 February 2009 - 09:39 PM.

#14 Salindin Naz

Salindin Naz

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:55 PM

I've never been to a war, and would love to go to this one. Through me down as a maybe. I'll make every effort to go, but I have a 5 month old baby, and work for a masonry company that will be getting very busy about that time of year.

Salindin

#15 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:59 PM

Now I know that this is an EXTREMELY LARGE request, but is it possible for it to be on Feb. 27, 28, or Mar. 1?

Sorry, not finals week, it's midterms for UChicago students. Not good times.

Edited by Ice Nine, 01 February 2009 - 10:02 PM.

Rnbw Cln

#16 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

Awesome, Chicago area Nerf.

I'm a maybe for now. The weekend is clear for me right now, but it's the weekend before a big event for me, which often requires a lot of prep work. Here's hoping, though.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#17 JurassicPark

JurassicPark

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:39 PM

I'll consider it, provided I'm free, which is likely. And as for IL in general if you can make it to the suburbs we host about 2+ wars a year in wheaten.
"Why can't we see shit? Thats not a good sign."

-My Dad

#18 neonpistols

neonpistols

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:18 PM

Finally, A nice big war in a place I can get to! Count me in! :D

Edited by neonpistols, 06 February 2009 - 04:50 PM.

"All I'm gonna do is just go on and do what I feel" - Jimi Hendrix

#19 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:14 PM

After a bit of planning today, ZL and I came up with a really cool instance using the tunnel underneath Lake Shore Drive. When it warms up a bit more we'll drag some people out and test it out to get a feel and decide whether or not it's war-worthy.

Forgot to mention: PLEASE do not bring any all-black guns. Colorful ones work just as well, look just as cool, and DON'T run the risk of getting an overzealous CPD (or UCPD) officer mad at us.

Rnbw Cln

#20 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

After a bit of planning today, ZL and I came up with a really cool instance using the tunnel underneath Lake Shore Drive. When it warms up a bit more we'll drag some people out and test it out to get a feel and decide whether or not it's war-worthy.

Forgot to mention: PLEASE do not bring any all-black guns. Colorful ones work just as well, look just as cool, and DON'T run the risk of getting an overzealous CPD (or UCPD) officer mad at us.

Put me down as a maybe. I don't like the idea of nerfing in the city though.

#21 Snake51886

Snake51886

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

Yay a war in my backyard...

I'm in +1 person. I'mm 99% positive as well just have to make sure I'm off work.

#22 hummer

hummer

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:16 PM

Ah crap, soory to disappoint, but something else came up, I can't go soory.
Maybe next time
Into the fires of battle!
Onto the anvil of war!
QUOTE(BustaNinja @ Nov 23 2010, 04:09 PM) View Post

He parkours over flat land while yelling tactical orders at no one. Demon Lord is the most legit ballsy nerfer of all time.

#23 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:18 AM

It's not really "in" the city. We'll be in a large park, just north of the Museum of Science and Industry. Hardly an explicitly urban setting.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#24 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:23 AM

It's not really "in" the city. We'll be in a large park, just north of the Museum of Science and Industry. Hardly an explicitly urban setting.

Still...Chicago cops are assholes primarily. I'd check with the park and the city first to see if it's okay before I go running around with things that shoot projectiles.

#25 LiterSize

LiterSize

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:58 PM

Lemme just chime in...

Personal experience here. I had a couple of skirmishes a bit farther north when I nerfed more regularly, and that was up by Oz Park in Lincoln Park. We didn't have anyone actually call the cops on us, and we even had spectators now and again. The Museum Campus might not be so bad, actually. Some friends and I battled near the end of Snake Way close to Millennium Park without any trouble and there were park people around keeping the peace. That day we even used a wildfire which was the loudest sounding blaster we had that day. Make it APPARENT you are not some paramilitary group looking for trouble. I don't know the full law though about projectile weapons within the Chicago city limits (seeing as how openly carrying a paintball gun is illegal I've heard) I just consider myself lucky thus far.

Quick bit: I think I know the park you're talking about and isn't that whole bit (especially with such proximity to the MSI) really heavy with people traffic? That could be problematic with attracting police attention, although you would know the patterns of the area better than I.

Quicker bit: Would crossfire shields be allowed for blocking attempts? I guess you can strike me down as a maybe at this point.

Edited by LiterSize, 04 February 2009 - 05:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users