Pc Virus Problem

Problems booting up

4 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowblade

Shadowblade

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:57 PM

Last night, as I was working diligently on my essays for class, my desktop PC froze. Whoopdeedoo, so I restarted it and it got all the way to loading the wallpaper and stopped...I shut down and tried again a few minutes later but it would not get any further than loading the wallpaper. However, the task manager does pop up when I hit CTRL ALT DEL. There are no tasks shown and the processes look normal. What the mess is going on???

I have narrowed it down to two possibilities:
- my hard drive crashed (which I doubt...)
- a virus (probably a trojan) attacked

Does anyone have any experience dealing with such a problem? I plan on running it on safe mode when I get home to check it out and running an anti-malware (suggestions?).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Proverbs says, "The wise man doth not shoot the Viking in the ding ding for he shall pummel thee."

But you can totally shoot Vacc there, he loves it!

~Talio

#2 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

If its a virus, you need to boot to safe mode and install antivirus now. I don't see why people don't use it and run weekly scans like they should. It would also fix most of these problems.
QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#3 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

I would do Just some bob's idea first. If you don't know how to run anything in command codes I'm pretty sure I or bob could help you out there. I know for a fact that it is not a virus problem since most of them would have been detected or it would give signs like slowing down your computer or problems with the Process Manager.

Just because it's Winblows doesn't mean it's always a virus. Most likely an issue with your start up.exe package or corruption in an other major file.
We hang our flags and banners of victory off of your dead bodies.

#4 TheNerfLoki

TheNerfLoki

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

Sounds like Conficker. I would recommend if you can get on to your computer sometime, use Spybot S&D. Also upgrade your firewalls.
Am I the only one who uses the sig function for a sig?
TNL,

#5 Shadowblade

Shadowblade

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:58 PM

I've had AVG 8.0 Free Edition for a while and updated it consistently, but apparently that program sucks. I ran SpyBot S&D and managed to find a good amount of malware. However, my desktop is still screwy. At this point, I'm fairly sure it is an infection, but I'm not ruling out a HD malfunction.

I am unable to get Windows Explorer to open (actually, it opens for a second then closes). I'll run some commands from the prompt next if MalwareBytes doesn't help.

UPDATE: I think I figured out and fixed the problem. Thanks everyone who helped me out!

Edited by Shadowblade, 29 January 2009 - 08:17 AM.

Proverbs says, "The wise man doth not shoot the Viking in the ding ding for he shall pummel thee."

But you can totally shoot Vacc there, he loves it!

~Talio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users