Temperature Question

Does Temp. affect airguns adversely?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:08 PM

I was range testing all of my guns last week, and I pulled out my Titan with a triple shot attachment, and put three taggers in it. When I fired it with about 17-18 pumps, it got like 10 ft. It was about 30 degrees at the time, and I was wondering if either cold weather really affects a titan that much, or does my titan just suck?

Thanks
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#2 BustaDartInYOurAss

BustaDartInYOurAss

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:11 PM

First were your barrels tight on the taggers, because if so...then im afarid to say your titan has something wrong with it. If they werent tight it might just be that no pressure was built up behind them. Also was there a headwind?

#3 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

Yes, cold temperatures do effect the blasters. colder air is more dense, you'll have to pump more to get the same pressure. However, the cold makes parts brittle, so if you want to keep the blaster intact, don't do that.

I don't think the cold should effect a titan that much, but I haven't gotten to play around with a titan. That's someone else's call.
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#4 loni

loni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:16 PM

What were your ranges before you fired it in the cold? If your ranges were in and around 75 feet, and now are only 17-18 feet, there is something wrong with your titan, the cold shouldn't affect your Titan that much, especially at 30 degrees. Also, it could have sprung a leak since the last time you used it?

-Loni

Edited by loni, 26 January 2009 - 07:18 PM.

"I don't nerf to see who is the best, I nerf to see who is the biggest bitch"

#5 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:18 PM

I used a triple shot titan for close to two hours in 20 degree weather at Minnesnowta and wasn't losing any range. The day before though I left a sm750 in my car for about 3-4 hours, and when I tried it later it shot about ten feet like your titan (although it was considerably closer to zero that day, if not below it.). If your titan has been sitting outside or close to a window that might explain it.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#6 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:28 PM

Taggers aren't that tight in my barrels so that might be the problem. Also the pump is not plugged, so that could be another decrease in power.
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#7 MoonMaster

MoonMaster

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:12 PM

The taggers will also not have much travel as the head prevents them from entering the brass. I think your titan is fine.

5. Protip: sarcasm is good for making someone else look like more of an idiot than they already do. However, if you are an idiot to start with, using sarcasm just makes you look like a COLOSSAL idiot.

#8 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:49 PM

Taggers aren't that tight in my barrels so that might be the problem. Also the pump is not plugged, so that could be another decrease in power.

I really think you might have another problem somewhere. My titan is unplugged, and still puts out enough air that loading 2 darts and leaving the 3rd barrel empty will shoot further then ten feet. The barrels are just Rose Arts with stock darts too, so its not like they have an amazing fit either. You definitely have a pressure problem, but I don't think its the darts.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#9 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

Your losing power because the cold air is compressing the air in the tank and not in a good way either. The way cold air works is that it compresses all gas and limits its movement. This is called an Ideal Gas Theory for Chemistry nerds (it can also be figured out with PV=nRT but that doesn't really help in figuring it out). Its some weird stuff to explain so I'll try my best.

When cold temperature is compressing the gas it limits its ability to provide movement in the container which in turn reduces the effective power. In this case your titan was drawing in cold air that was compressed and wouldn't be able to fire the dart or provide enough power to shoot it far. Its just one of those things that you have to deal with in cold climates. Next time you go to shoot it pump it up inside your house where the air is warm and then shoot it outside and you might get better results.
We hang our flags and banners of victory off of your dead bodies.

#10 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

The Ideal Gas LAW can be used here in that you need to build a certain pressure so you can make an inequality of that statement. Or, you can just put some TIGHTER BRASS IN THE DAMN BARREL and start USING STEFANS.

Also, my NF which usually gets about, 70-80 feet (Revolver) gets about 40-50 in the cold with cpvc. Not a porblem with your Titan.

It's a problem with 1. The environment(air) 2. The seal(barrel to dart) and 3. The shortness of the seal (stefans will fix that).

Fix 2 and 3 and you MIGHT get a decent gun.
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#11 twenty4

twenty4

• Banned
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:57 PM

The air seal could be the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users