The Gremlin

CPVC Coupler TTG + Paint

10 replies to this topic

#1 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:13 PM

I found a second-gen TTG at my local thrift store for $1.00. I always liked the TTG, especially since the oversized grip fits in my walrus-flipper-sized hand comfortably. Anyway, here's what I did with it.

Modding Materials:
---
Tech Target Gun
1 RoseArt marker (Crayola works too)
2 1/2" CPVC couplers
4" length 1/2" CPVC (2" required, the rest is optional for a barrel extension)
Pipe cutters, hacksaw, or other cutting tool
Electrical tape
Plumber's Goop, epoxy, or other high-grade plastic adhesive

The stock TTG was in good working condition, though the priming handle was a bit faded from light exposure:
Posted Image

The internals are pretty straightforward.
Posted Image

The cap at the back end of the plunger tube was a pleasant surprise. The whole orange barrel assembly in front of the plunger tube came right off. The air restrictors weren't glued in, which was another pleasant surprise, but the hole in the barrel in front of the AR's was a bit of a downer. I wasn't planning on using any of the assembly, so I just set it aside in my bin of random stuff.

I widened the aperture of the plunger tube to allow more airflow, then took a 1/2" CPVC coupler and stuck a small length of 1/2" CPVC (about 3/8", enough for the coupler to fit over the plunger tube without any gaps) into one end. This reduces the dead space inside of the coupler.
Posted Image

That coupler is what attaches to the plunger tube. A 1-1/4" length of 1/2" CPVC goes into the other end of the first coupler, and a second coupler attaches to the length of CPVC. I glued all of those together with Plumber's Goop, making sure the assembly was straight.
Posted Image

I had to trim the shell so that the couplers would fit inside.
Posted Image

I also replaced the O-ring and wrapped electrical tape around the base of the plunger head for a much improved seal.
Posted Image

The ammo holders were a good fit for stock darts, but I found that stefans had a tendency to slide into them and get lodged inside. (in fact, I found a Streamline jammed into one of them when I got the blaster from the thrift store). Since I didn't want them to go to waste, I constructed new ammo holders to fit inside the stock ones. I got a RoseArt marker and cut the tube into two 1" lengths, then drilled a small hole with a hobby drill and strung a short length of fishing line through it. This keeps stefans from sliding back, and it keeps them nested firmly in the ammo holders.
Posted Image

I glued the blue rings on top of the RoseArt barrel holders, then wrapped electrical tape around the base of the assembly, both to secure the fishing line and to make sure the fit inside the shell was snug.

Here are the modded internals:
Posted Image

(I'll post the painting writeup in the first reply, since I have gone over the image limit in the initial post.)

Quick edit for format and corrections in the Materials list.

Edited by dizzyduck, 26 January 2009 - 05:33 PM.

Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#2 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:15 PM

Since I couldn't get outside to paint (long story), I had to do all the painting by hand. Before painting, though, I sealed the "NERF" decal gap with acrylic modeling paste (Squadron putty is probably more ideal, but I used what I had). I primed the shell with a coat of gloss-finish Mod Podge (an acrylic emulsion sealant and glue) before applying a base coat of black acrylic paint.
Posted Image

Here's the shell with an even coat of black and another coat of Mod Podge, ready for me to start painting.
Posted Image

And here I have started painting, dry-brushing acrylics onto the primed surface.
Posted Image

I added graphics to the space where the NERF decal used to be.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Finally finished, about five hours later.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I noticed the blaster fires somewhat loudly, so I added some spare foam backer rod to areas of dead space in order to silence it. Now it "thumps" rather than "bangs" when firing.
Posted Image

Range tests were somewhat limited to indoors (it was late and cold outside), averaging around 50 feet with a two-inch barrel extension and 1-3/4" split shot stefans. I am planning to do a spring replacement when I get the chance, which should improve ranges, along with bands or bungees.

If you have questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#3 loni

loni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:44 PM

off topic: For some reason the paint-job reminds me of a rebel blaster from starwars.

on topic: Nice clean mod, especially helpful for those with oversized hands, :). 50 Feet from a TTG is a solid modification, definately a worthy secondary, for indoor wars at least.

-Loni

Edited by loni, 26 January 2009 - 05:45 PM.

"I don't nerf to see who is the best, I nerf to see who is the biggest bitch"

#4 Poseidon

Poseidon

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:49 PM

Very impressive for a newish member. Well done; I've never seen someone silence a TTG like that. Normally used on larger guns, but effective all the same.
Faith is a living, daring confidence in God's grace, so sure and certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times.
-Martin Luther

In Soviet Russia, Mudkipz liek u.

#5 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:01 PM

Haha, when I saw the first part of this mod, I was like great... a redundant waste of bandwidth. Then I saw that paint job and you blew me away, great job man!
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#6 BustaDartInYOurAss

BustaDartInYOurAss

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:25 PM

Nice mod overall, I am in love with the claw. It for some reason reminds me of a Zombie more or less then a Gremlin.

#7 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

Dude...you make everyone here look bad. You're probably the best painter since Direct Threat. Not that they're aren't many, many other talented painters here, but I love the little graphics bits you add to stuff. It just takes it that extra mile. I don't really like those colors, but it fits, and it looks great. Very nice work.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#8 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:36 PM

As guitarman said, you make everyone else here look bad. I like the coupler system itself, but the paintjob is incredible. If you'd be so kind to enlighten us or me alone through PM, on your painting techniques it would be much appreciated. Again, beautiful.

#9 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:35 PM

Nice work mate. I like the claw the best.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#10 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:56 PM

Thanks! Again, I really do appreciate the feedback! I don't mean to make anyone look bad, though, so if I do I'm sorry even though I'll take it as a compliment!

slowguitarman - I was kind of stumped as to what colours to use, and I didn't want to use the same brown/red/tan scheme I had used for the Hellcat and the Rebel Trooper Blaster. Good to know it came out alright.

NerfOnFier - I don't really have any "secrets" to share. I use acrylic paints, mostly artist quality (the expensive stuff). It's what I use for my illustration painting as well. To get the worn and weathered effect, I build up colours from dark to light with drybrushing and scumbling. It takes some practice to get the hang of it.

FA24 - Thanks! I wish I could have done a bit better job with the blood.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#11 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:05 AM

I love your paintjobs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users