Mustang Six Modification.

Cosmetic and range improved.

23 replies to this topic

#1 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:45 PM

So I went to TRU hoping to find a MS or LS. Instead I found this.
Posted Image
I tested it out and the range was pretty good. Indoors I got around 33-39 feet with this thing stock! I opened up the gun to see its guts but came across two problems.

The red lip (fake barrel) is glued on and so is this little yellow nub.
Posted Image
The nub came off with pliers and twisting I had to cut though the orange part though.

I was finally able to pop her open and I found this.
Posted Image

I then took out the plunger tube and found there was some air restriction at the end. A dremel made short work of that.
Posted Image

I then put some hotglue in the shell of the gun where the spring would rest against. This causes the spring to compress about 1/6" more creating a bit more force.
Posted Image
I didn't have any springs that would fit this gun so this worked well enough.

Then I realized I could cut down the goofy looking shell giving it a more respectable look. You can even do this first and you wont have to deal with the orange thing and yellow screwy nub. (I wish I knew that before hand.)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now I wanted to see what I could do with stefan in this thing so I took a buzz bee shell. I hammered out the back from the inside and removed the pole. I then sanded down the inside of the shell lip and jammed a 17/32" peice of brass in there that was 3" long.
Posted Image
The old darts used to hit the floor before the wall and now with stefans they hit the wall at the end of a 42' kitchen/living room gap. I am assuming they get at least 50' with a BB weighted stefan. I think this gun has alot on the maverick. Much better air seal,range,shell ejection. There are only two thing about this gun that bother me.
1. How freakin goofy it looks when you buy it.
2. The small handle. Its not AT2K small but its small.

Well theres my write up. Hope you guys enjoy.
Got another one for ya kirby!

EDIT: Here is a video of how the gun works and how it looks after mods.Click here stupid!

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 05 August 2006 - 01:17 AM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#2 Vyperaeon Omega

Vyperaeon Omega

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:46 AM

Excellent job modding this thing, it's the first write-up I've seen for this particular gun. I agree the Mustang looks a bit strange, as though Dr. Suess designed a sidearm. With your improvements, though, I think the gun looks more respectable. Do you intend to replace the spring eventually if you find one that fits, or are you happy with the current setup? 50 feet is awfully impressive for a weapon with such a potentially high rate of fire, and it kicks the crap out of the Maverick with stock ranges alone. How much was it? I might have to pick one up...

By the way, you said you like the shell ejection. Do you appreciate realism, or the challenge of picking up and reloading all those shells? Sounds like a pain in the ass to me, but maybe I'm just sore over the Double Shot disappointment. Oh, one more thing: what purpose does the orange button on the right side serve? It appears to assist in opening the breach door for loading and unloading, but I could be wrong. Great job though.

EDIT: Spelling and grammar.

Edited by Vyperaeon Omega, 04 August 2006 - 01:47 AM.

May you find in death what eluded you in life: a purpose greater than yourself.

#3 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:57 AM

I agree the Mustang looks a bit strange, as though Dr. Suess designed a sidearm.

I laughed when I saw that.

Anyway, great write-up. I saw one of these but I didn't even bother buying knowing it would suck. After this I might reconsider. 50' isn't bad at all. I would probably take it over the maverick but I don't like the whole clip system. Maybe there could be a way to eliminate using clips.

Just a thought.

#4 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:33 AM

Oh, one more thing: what purpose does the orange button on the right side serve? It appears to assist in opening the breach door for loading and unloading, but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure, but it seems to be an ejection button. It looks like to load a shell you open the breech cover, insert a shell, turn the cylinder, insert a shell, etc. Then when it's loaded, you cock the gun, fire (Which turns the cylinder when you pull the trigger) and if you so choose, when a spent barrel is lined up with the ejection port you push that button and a shell is ejected.

At least I think that's how it works. Maybe Forsaken_Angel24 can shed some light on this matter.

Sincereley,
Pat
QUOTE(euphemism) View Post
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

It gave the site a sort of 'homy' feeling.

Did you know that "m" can sometimes look like "rn" when read quickly?

#5 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:17 AM

Nice mod. Is the Mustang better than the mav? It seems to get better range. Anyways, the Mav still looks better. I might have to think about getting one of those...
NEW Write-up of the DTG/At3k:
Click here
Credit to Carrtoon for the mod.

"The mother of invention is need... Who doesn't have to pelt people with foam?"

#6 Black Blade

Black Blade

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:21 PM

Looks really good. So the cocking handle is on the top of the gun simalr to the Maxshot?

#7 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

Any way that you see that this could be modded to be shell-less? I assume that one could completely take the shells out of the mechanism and try to fit brass or some barrel material in the turret. Would that work?

TS

#8 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

I am going to make a video on this gun and all its functions. Coming soon.

V.O. I payed around $7 canadian but I think the guy at TRU fucked up.
The cool part about this gun is that the shells dont need to come out. You can just put the darts through the opening into the shells. The orange button on the side is held when you want to release a shell from barrel.
You can also hold an extra loaded shell in there if you wanted. You open the breech door by hand. it snaps in and out of place. I am happy with the ranges it gets now and with a stronger spring I can realisically see this thing getting high 50's. The spring they put in was actually fairly decent.

Black blade. Yes the handle on the top is similar to the maxshot. The gun has 3 catches. The last catch is when you pull it back the farthest and this one is the strongest. The first catch does nothing.

TS.This thing could be modded to be shell-less but it would sacrifice air seal because the shell are pushed up against the plunger tube by the same spring that ejects the shell.

I forgot to mention this gun rotates its barrel not by the trigger but by the maxshot lever. It rotates half way to the next barrel when you pull all the way back and the other half way to the next barrel on the way back down.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#9 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:20 PM

Oh okay, thanks for the clarification. So I'm guessing the reload time isn't bad at all, right?

TS

#10 Master Yogurt

Master Yogurt

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:23 PM

Looks to me like the reload time beats out the Mav, since you could load from the front or eject shells. Interesting buy, glad to know that a BBT gun is actually worth purchasing over its Nerf counterpart, though while the Mav oozes "cool", this simmers with pure "WTF?"
Come to PANO!

You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back. The Trooper

#11 trogdor65

trogdor65

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:55 PM

It's not as sleek as the Maverick but still looks like a good gun.

#12 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:16 AM

The reload time with shells takes a bit longer because the suction part of the darts sometimes gets caught on the ring that pushes the shell out after. This gets kind of annoying but a little practice makes perfect. With a stefan there is no problem at all loading. I have uploaded some visual aid here and another link in the first post.
Visual aid on how the Mustang six works and how it looks after modifications.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 05 August 2006 - 01:20 AM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#13 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:56 AM

Is the spring inside the Mustang comparable in both size and strength to the one found in the NF? I am new to modifying guns and it gave me an idea for both the LS and the NF.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#14 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 12:46 PM

The spring is small but strong. It is maybe half the size of a NF spring but has just as many coils and is very strong. I was thinking of doing a spring replacement but I didn't know where I would be able to find something just as small and stronger. Don't quote me on those specifics because I am going on memory here.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 20 August 2006 - 12:47 PM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#15 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:37 PM

Wait, is the ejection spring the same as the doubleshot ejection spring?

#16 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

Kind of, The mustang six has six ejection springs. The mustang six's ejection springs seems slightly stronger than the double shots.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#17 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:00 PM

Kind of, The mustang six has six ejection springs. The mustang six's ejection springs seems slightly stronger than the double shots.

Cool, I'm totally buying it to mod with static barrels, the ds springs work perfect for my clips.

#18 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:26 PM

1. Shell ejection sucks, and I'm not going to buy it and mod it with static barrels when I have three perfectly good mavericks.

2. It looks unbelievably stupid, ungainly, and bulky.

3. I have an undying hatred for buzzbee.

Good job on modding this, but I'll stick to my mavericks. They're cooler, they can fire 2 dps (darts per second), they are much more comfortable, they don't have shell ejection, they're easy to mod, they're easy to reload, and they're not buzzbee, so in my opinion, they're perfect.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#19 NerfWarMaster329

NerfWarMaster329

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:15 AM

Mavericks may look cooler and less bulky to most people, but I for one happen to love the design of the buzzbee Mustang Six. I'm looking forward to buying and modifying one in the near future. Thanks Forsaken_angel24! :lol:
Yes im weird, so what?

#20 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:25 AM

Are you Fucking kidding me?!?!?!?!?!?
Check the date!
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#21 NerfWarMaster329

NerfWarMaster329

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:17 PM

Ignore this post.

Edited by NerfWarMaster329, 15 August 2009 - 10:26 PM.

Yes im weird, so what?

#22 BustaDartInYOurAss

BustaDartInYOurAss

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:33 PM

"Just being registered" doesent give you the right to be ignorant, either you follow the CoC or leave. Besides, what you posted was not anywhere near relevant to the modification itself.

#23 NerfWarMaster329

NerfWarMaster329

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:41 PM

"Just being registered" doesent give you the right to be ignorant, either you follow the CoC or leave. Besides, what you posted was not anywhere near relevant to the modification itself.

I am sorry I just re-read the CoC and I will be sure not to do this again.
Yes im weird, so what?

#24 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:42 PM

Just for the record the priming handle needs to be reinforced.
This gun broke at its second war.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users