Photo

Schoolwide Nerf Tournament

22 replies to this topic

#1 Awesomeness101

Awesomeness101

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

A couple weeks ago, I posted a thread about our plans to have a school Nerf team. Anyways, our first meet went so well (8 pm - 5 am of pure nerfing) that we're having a school tournament. We're charging an entrance fee of $20 for a 4 person team. Proceeds go to the school (and a little for us too). We have 20 teams of 4. I don't really know why I'm posting this here, and I'm sure it doesn't belong, but I am just so excited.

#2 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:18 PM

I stand corrected.

Edited by chefdave, 25 January 2009 - 07:35 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Jul 21 2009, 08:13 PM) View Post
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

Talio likes to eat his own shit.
It's a distinct possibility. But seriously, that's all you could come up with? You are a terrible Troll.

#3 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:31 PM

Where is this being held?
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#4 Jedijoe9

Jedijoe9

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:39 PM

I call bullshit, most schools don't even allow nerf because they are "guns" and to my knoledge(correct me if i'm wrong) colleges don't even have HvZ clubs with over 50 people.

Eh. A guy that posted about a high school nerfing league a couple weeks ago mentioned 30 man games that were fairly common. Ohio University HVZ had over 500 people signed up on facebook. Perhaps a better barometer was the message board, but even that had 270 people register.

Doesn't mean Awesomeness101 is telling the truth, but you CAN get large groups of casual nerfers mobilized for a concentrated event.

Edited by Jedijoe9, 25 January 2009 - 05:39 PM.

"If you watch jaws backwards it's about a huge shark that throws up so many people that they need to open a beach."

I nerf like a four year old.

#5 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:30 PM

We have 20 teams of 4.

I call bullshit, most schools don't even allow nerf because they are "guns" and to my knoledge(correct me if i'm wrong) colleges don't even have HvZ clubs with over 50 people.

Our teams allows senior pranks, as long as they are limited to water guns and baloons, and Nerf guns. Too bad we don't even have that many kids per grade.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#6 BRF726

BRF726

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:25 PM

Goucher College, the birthplace of HVZ, has over 160 members playing each game. However I would say it is more of a cult not a club. Colleges often do not sponsor such groups, as they "promote violence and disturb the learning atmosphere, but Goucher College President Sanford Ungar did participate in a mission during the last HVZ game. So it is not unheard of that a school official would allow or even endorse such a game.

Also, a nerf tournament is by far the sickest idea for a fundraise that I have ever heard of

#7 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:28 PM

We have 20 teams of 4.

What point would one have to lie about something like this? There is at least logic behind lying about ranges and stuff like that, but why lie about a school nerfing thing?
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#8 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

We have 20 teams of 4.

What point would one have to lie about something like this? There is at least logic behind lying about ranges and stuff like that, but why lie about a school nerfing thing?

Alibi, he's planning to murder someone.

I'm suggesting the tournament to my school... even though getting suspended for asking is a possibility.
Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 14 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

Damn it Foamfoot. Why is it that you kill every good topic with a retarded response a few days late.

#9 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

even though getting suspended for asking is a possibility.

That sounds like a great idea.
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#10 Oni Kadaki

Oni Kadaki

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:14 PM

even though getting suspended for asking is a possibility.

That sounds like a great idea.

I for one would love to see how much he'd get in the ensuing lawsuit.

#11 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:18 PM

There are pretty strict government guidelines for what you can and can not get suspended for. Though I tried to take up that on one of my many high school suspensions (sophomore year was tough.), and they basically pulled out some bullshit in a loop hole.

I would like to hear more details about this though, if the OP ever comes back. How many people, what kinds of guns and what not. Where did you play especially.
Teehee.

#12 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:20 PM

That's just ridiculous. Why would they have grounds to suspend you just for asking?
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#13 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

Alot of schools freak out at the word "gun". They don't want to be held liable(lawers theses days...)if the kid turns into some psychopath.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jul 21 2009, 08:13 PM) View Post
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

Talio likes to eat his own shit.
It's a distinct possibility. But seriously, that's all you could come up with? You are a terrible Troll.

#14 TheBolt

TheBolt

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

There's a simple way to get around the fact that schools freak out when you say gun.
Say "blaster". The word gun triggers a automatic sense of danger, but blaster doesn't.
If someone walked into a bank and said, " I got a blaster, fork over the cash!", would you be immediately frightened?

#15 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:15 PM

There's a simple way to get around the fact that schools freak out when you say gun.
Say "blaster". The word gun triggers a automatic sense of danger, but blaster doesn't.
If someone walked into a bank and said, " I got a blaster, fork over the cash!", would you be immediately frightened?

Yeah, and I hate it when people call darts bullets. What the fuck? No Mil-Sim! People around us usually walk away very scared.
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#16 Awesomeness101

Awesomeness101

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:26 AM

This isn't college, it's high school. I go to a private high school in Minnesota. We play in our Gym building which has 2 levels, and intricate hiding spots and locker rooms. I'm not lying, I can bring up the post I made like 2 weeks ago about the first one with just 20 people. And here would be the photo from the first one. I'm the one lower left with the Tornado.

Posted Image

The guy in the gray in the back is a teacher. Proof enough? We had a 20 man school nerf war. Now we're aiming for a 4 on 4 tournament with a gym floor full of obstacles. We want like 30 teams and we're close already.

Edited by Awesomeness101, 26 January 2009 - 01:26 AM.

#17 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:57 AM

You owned everyone in this thread, Awesomeness101.

Heck yes. Proof that Nerf is great exercise, great team-building training, and a whole lot of fun. The education system of our country could learn something from you guys.

Keep up the good work.

-Piney-

PS; teacher with a Longshot? Tell him us old guys go air-power.... get the man a SM1500. :lol:
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#18 Awesomeness101

Awesomeness101

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:07 AM

lol the teacher joined at the last minute, so he had to borrow some of our extra guns. I actually don't use the Tornado in the field anymore. I retired it for a firefly. Vulcan is a strategic weapon placed in the field. But yeah, this is proof that Nerfing CAN be accepted by schools as an actual sport. But yeah, it was 8pm-5am. The principal was there watching it and everything. Hell, she even videotaped it. Best part was where someone tanked it over a table set up in the middle of the gym for cover.

There's kids from all 4 grades in that group. I just feel good that we've started a huge trend that will continue to be a part of the school for years to come.

Oh, on the topic of guns:
1 Vulcan placed in the middle of the map. You get to it, it's yours. 3 full chains.
3 people had Magstrikes. We thought they sucked until we got slaughtered with them.
I think like 4 had Fireflies
2 Longshots
3 Mavs (one kid used my clear one which you can see in the lower righthand corner of the pic. He got cut off)
2 Recons
6 people used NiteFinders or dual NiteFinders

I use a Buzzsaw for intimidation. People think you're out of ammo and crowd a door to rush you. You start grinding, they start running. It's all indoors, so the only modding we really do is Maverick Barrel mods.

Edited by Awesomeness101, 26 January 2009 - 02:11 AM.

#19 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:48 AM

Congrats on getting this going. It sounds like you guys are having a lot of fun. I am also really digging the list of blasters being used - most of those are the blasters that get knocked on this board all the time, but when you get them indoors, fighting in close quarters like that, they tend to come into their own. In CQ, range is a secondary concern, ROF is king. Thus - the Mavericks, Fireflies, MT20's, Magstrikes, RF20's, Longshots, Recons, Vulcans, etc. all have their place.

(I'm really digging the dual NF's the one kid is sporting. Makes me want to find an effective way to carry a full N-Strike Attack unit set around. Six single-shot blasters, primed and loaded? Yes please. :lol:)
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#20 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:16 AM

I'm know thinking of doing this for my school, but what did you use for cover?
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#21 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:41 AM

It's shit like this that makes me happy to read. That's pretty cool, Awesomeness101. Any chance we could get some more pictures or a video of this indoor mayhem?

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#22 Awesomeness101

Awesomeness101

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:28 PM

It's shit like this that makes me happy to read. That's pretty cool, Awesomeness101. Any chance we could get some more pictures or a video of this indoor mayhem?

-Groove

We'll see what happens to the video. I'll try to get it on youtube and show you from there, but no promises since it might be for school use only. The only pictures we have are between rounds and group pictures like that. I think.

As for what do we use for cover: The gym is huge, and there's 2 levels. We had mats and tables and chairs and all sorts of things set up on the gym floor. But on either side of the gym, there's an upper level with a railing. It's very hard to shoot all the way to someone on the other railing, so some people do some *gasp* losing. Yeah, I know that comes up as losing. Anyways, the 2 locker rooms full of lockers and other obstacles are where we had the flags for capture the flag. The upper areas in both sides both had mats and other stuff set up. And there are 4 sets of stairs for people to guard as well. It was nearly the perfect indoor spot. And we always knew how many people were alive and dead because when someone got eliminated they would go to the scoreboard in the middle of the gym and mark themselves dead so there'd be a number of how many dead per team.

#23 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:49 PM

That seems like the most organized nerf event I've seen with the team colors and teams.
It's cool that you got this started and you guys look like your having a blast!
Things like this make me want to post less and go start something like you did.

Props,
-A side of nerf

Edited by A side of nerf, 26 January 2009 - 02:49 PM.

Southeast Nerf Contingent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users