Photo

Daft 09

Formerly SOF Dallas

184 replies to this topic

Poll: Dallas Nerf War Poll (84 member(s) have cast votes)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Indoor/Outdoor

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Gametypes

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:30 AM

DAFT Was a great success. I hope Darkside's war this winter works out and that DAFT 10 will be just as good.

Date: Thursday, August 6, 2009

Gametypes:
Deathmatch:
Played with a variant of 3/15
You take 4 hits and you're out of the round. One hit, you hit the deck, count to 15, and you're up again. This means 4 lives.

CTF:
Same as Deathmatch, except you've got unlimited lives. Again, hit the deck, drop what you're doing, and drop the flag. Your gun can stay in your hand, so as to protect it from fall damage. My friends and I played around with this, and it's a lot more fun than walking off to the staging area, like indoor paintball.

Bomb:
Same as CTF. Except, it's a "bomb", not a flag. You, also, don't need both bombs at your base. You need both flags, but as long as the enemy bomb is not at your base, it's 'kay.

This is my first attempt at organizing something like this, and I'm new to the forum, so please don't be an asshole. I'll take advice, not rude comments. Thank you, and good night.

Attendance List:
SchizophrenicMC
Thedarksideofnerf
Salmon
Wing'd Man
Francesca
Jackal
LNL + LS = FAIL
Fatnerfer
Several Unidentified

Banned Blasters:
No sense in having this anymore.

To the Parents:
Ok, listen, I know you're worried about your baby, your little snookie-wookums, your pumpkin. All parents are. It's natural. In fact, please, do try to protect them.

That said, Nerf is a great way for a kid to get exercise, safely vent aggression, build team skills, and have fun, not to mention it's something they can be doing on a summer day with their friends, instead of trying the new drug on the street. Nerf, unlike its contemporaries, Airsoft and Paintball, is not a painful experience. Since the toys are made of plastic, they can't hold the pressure or the potential energy to launch anything fast enough to break skin.* Also, the projectiles are made of a Non-Expanding Recreational Foam (Ahem, NERF), which is soft and yielding. A paintball assuredly leaves a welt. A BB can pierce skin. A foam chunk can hit with enough force to alert someone they've been "shot" by a member of the opposing team.

The above is made especially true at the ranges we'll be seeing at this "war". This will take place on a high school campus. It is very large, and no Nerf dart from any Nerf Blaster, no matter how it's been modified, can fire even half of the way across any two edges. The highest range I've ever seen in a Nerf toy was a modified N-Strike Titan ASV-1, which is designed to fire a large rocket with a collapsing cap slowly at people, to shoot a single dart. It went 200 feet. This is less than a football field. The campus is about 3 acres wide. And, even then, that type of blaster is banned from this "war".

If you would like to contact me to talk about this matter, my email address is Slovak423@yahoo.com.

With all due respect,
SchizophrenicMC

PS: There are a few that can launch at such speeds, but they're heavily modified and banned from this activity. If I see someone carrying one, I will ask them to put it away. If they continue, I will make sure they leave. And thanks to all of you who drove a million miles for this.

Other:
Eye protection required.
This can be anything from the Dart Tag goggles to snowboarding masks to paintball helmets.
Bring plenty of fluids. I can't keep water for 20 people cool and at the ready. Especially if we're all running in 100 degree Texas heat.
Prepare to lose most of your stefans, due to heat wear and, of course, normal stefan loss.
Don't bring guns that can't survive being heated, overall, to over 130 degrees. This isn't a problem for stock guns, but with some of the adhesives in modded guns, the heat can break them down. Left in the sun, a gun can easily reach temperatures that high. If the gun doesn't feel right, stop using it and put it in the shade. I will not be held responsible for damaged blasters.

Salmon knows that well, but luckily, Darkside brought stuff to fix it.

Finally, the list of gametypes:

Deathmatch
Team Deathmatch
Capture the Flag
Bomb

Edited by SchizophrenicMC, 07 August 2009 - 01:20 PM.

QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#2 Vimes

Vimes

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:17 AM

Sounds great dude! What kind of time frame are you considering?
The path of my life is strewn with cow-pats from the devil's own satanic herd!

#3 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:09 PM

Sounds great dude! What kind of time frame are you considering?

Probably this summer. That'd probably work out best for everything. Maybe early-mid July?

#4 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:36 PM

Maybe early-mid July?

That would definitely work best for me.
If I attended, assume I'm bringing 2-5 others with me.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#5 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:22 PM

Maybe early-mid July?

That would definitely work best for me.
If I attended, assume I'm bringing 2-5 others with me.

Golden Rule: Cover is EVERYTHING... Wait...

Wrong tape.

Golden Rule: The more the merrier!

Now, can we get some actual planning here? :angry:

We can't just have this out of nowhere.

#6 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:51 PM

Well....
What are the possible venues?
Are you positive we will be able to use the facility?
What general size will the war be?

Etc....
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#7 themilkman

themilkman

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:54 PM

I'm totally in!!!
"I am The Milkman, my milk is delicious"

I had a long hiatus from nerfing from '09-'13

#8 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

If you can give me a war location address, you can consider yourselves on the Season of Foam trip map as the final stop on our way back to So Cal. We'd be coming through sometime during the first week of august. Doesn't mean you need to change this war's schedule, but it DOES mean you should keep your eyes open for the Season of Foam planning thread in the next day or two so you can see what day we're planning on being at your location that week. Due to our scheduling constraints, we won't be able to change our date once it's set save for with FAR advance notice (like, before the end of February) but since there's 5 months' notice, everyone should be able to plan ahead accordingly.

For the time being, I'm putting Dallas, Texas onto the map without a specific address. SchizophrenicMC, for the time being, I'm going to look to YOU for keeping in contact with me about further details, etc. Post the location address currently being discussed (the address can be changed much further down the road if we need to, so long as it stays in the dallas area) here in the thread, but I need you to email me personally so we can keep in touch about this at tripmap@seasonoffoam.com

Edited by Falcon, 30 January 2009 - 06:02 PM.

----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#9 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:59 PM

Falcon, if MC drops out, contact me instead.

taylor.cambre@gmail.com

or via Facebook.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#10 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:48 PM

I can talk to either of you about it. Shoot the tripmap@seasonoffoam.com email address a reply, and we'll keep in touch. Anyone have a location ADDRESS yet?
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#11 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:07 PM

I'm still trying to get an adress together.

I'm trying to think of any place in Dallas where such a war could be held.

So far, the Apartment Complex at 3500 Portland Street in Irving, Texas have come to mind for an outdoor war, simply because it's fairly expansive, has cover, and my best friend lives there, so it'd be easy and free to get to. No tellin' how management would like it, though if it was on a Saturday... ;)

As for an indoor war, I can't think of anything. Can someone from Dallas think of anything? I live in Tarrant county, currently, and I've forgotten much of the lay of the Dallas land... :P don't kill me...

I wish it could be Saturday, July 25th. That's my birthday :D

Can the war be pushed to the 8th of August? That's a Saturday, so more people can get to it, and it's only 2 days past what you've scheduled.

I'd love to have my war in the Season of Foam tour. I'll keep you posted, Falcon.

-With all due respect, SchizophrenicMC

Edit: The location is no longer suitable. It would seem security has tightened up. My friend says they monitor who all's there, and each person can have 2 guests. Well, I only got one guy, and he says he's probably gonna be in Korea that month. So... We're back to square one.

Edited by SchizophrenicMC, 01 February 2009 - 01:37 AM.

#12 thedarksideofnerf

thedarksideofnerf

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

i think it would be awsome if someone finally held a war in the texas area i live right outside DFW and i could definatly attend i probably could bring a friend to
<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#13 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:40 PM

Look for playgrounds, empty lots., etc.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#14 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:12 PM

Sorry to DP, but Salmon, P.C. III, saxynerfer, Vimes, and Uncle Hammerm you guys HAVE to attend this.

We gotta put Texas on the nerfing map.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#15 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

Sorry to DP, but Salmon, P.C. III, saxynerfer, Vimes, and Uncle Hammerm you guys HAVE to attend this.

We gotta put Texas on the nerfing map.

Damn straight.

I keep thinking of Irving, since I lived there and it's kinda central in DFW, but I can't think of anything.

Sputnik, you're from around here. Can you think of anywhere?

Same for you, Darkside. If you can think of something, please tell me. What city do you live in? Maybe I can think of something there or surrounding.

#16 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:00 PM

PLEASE get this war to work. A war in Texas would finally get some attention to this state for nerfing, especially if it's in the Season of Foam travel list. If it's all figured out, I'll go. As for organizing a place, the only place I can think of is somewhere in Austin, where the Maker's Fair is, but I doubt using the place is free, as it is HUGE. It'd be perfect though because it has one huge indoor building, and tons of outdoor space. I'll try researching some more places.

#17 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:00 PM

PLEASE get this war to work. A war in Texas would finally get some attention to this state for nerfing, especially if it's in the Season of Foam travel list. If it's all figured out, I'll go. As for organizing a place, the only place I can think of is somewhere in Austin, where the Maker's Fair is, but I doubt using the place is free, as it is HUGE. It'd be perfect though because it has one huge indoor building, and tons of outdoor space. I'll try researching some more places.

It'd be preferred if it were in DFW. Austin's kinda 6-8 hours away, and all... :ph34r: Thanks, anyway.

PM me, though, with the details, and I'll put it (And any others you come up with) into consideration.

#18 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

It'd be preferred if it were in DFW. Austin's kinda 6-8 hours away, and all... ;) Thanks, anyway.

PM me, though, with the details, and I'll put it (And any others you come up with) into consideration.

Yeah, but it'd be super convenient for me! :ph34r:

Just kidding.
But seriously, Austin has some pretty awesome venues. Nerfing in Zilker Park would be truly Effeminate.
But it's your war. I could come either way, most likely.

Edited by Salmon, 01 February 2009 - 10:09 PM.

Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#19 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:51 PM

Sputnik, you're from around here. Can you think of anywhere?

I'm from San Angelo, its about 4 hours away.

I nerfed once in a small park, I'll try to get a google image up...
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#20 Vimes

Vimes

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:52 PM

I'm coming. Unless something really big comes up I'm coming.
The path of my life is strewn with cow-pats from the devil's own satanic herd!

#21 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:25 PM

It would seem I'm the only Dallasite/Tarranter in this...

I appreciate that you're all okay with Dallas, and such, and I do wish I could have it in Austin, but there's no way I can get down there. I'm only 14 (15 then), for one... I'll try, though, to get something as far south as possible, as a means of compensation. Arlington's looking much better now. It's right there at the bottom, and the big plus: I live here.

Cravens Park won't do, the forest next to it's too packed with trees to move, and there's all kinds of shit on the ground. I only wish one of the High Schools would let us in... Hmm...

If it were in Arlington, it'd have to be in South Arlington, since North Arlington's all industrial buildings and Six Flags. I can't think of too many things, though. I know absolutely nothing about Mansfield for that matter.

GRR... There are no suitable parks in Arlington. (Sad, that's the name of the mall...) Mansfield keeps a tight eye on their parks, so it'd have to be rented and that's WAY out of the budget. (I checked it, and DAMN.)

Well, we want an indoor war, anyway, right? Hehe... :D

I'm out of ideas. Anyone?

#22 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:30 PM

I know that this is just barely even planning stage, but the Season of Foam thread lists this war as August 6th. I'm kind of confused there. Is that the final, decided-on date (assuming we want this war in the documentary) or is the SOF-T 5 holding a war here on that date?

Anyway, I looked on Google StreetView and I found one or two parks, namely Fair Park and Old City Park in Dallas. Fair Park looked okay if we really wanted an outside war, and Old City Park looked kind of fancy for a nerf war... It looks like an indoor war might be our best bet. But finding a suitable location might be even harder than finding a good outdoor one. I'm not sure about Arlington though. Maybe I'm missing something.

EDIT: Here in Arlington doesnt look too bad.

Edited by Salmon, 02 February 2009 - 12:41 PM.

Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#23 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:46 PM

Look into public schools if you end up having this thing on a weekend. Otherwise almost any park can be made suitable. As long as you have a variety of cover and open terrain in an area that will be more or less deserted (as most parks should be on weekdays) you can throw a nerf war there.

#24 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:05 PM

Look into public schools if you end up having this thing on a weekend. Otherwise almost any park can be made suitable. As long as you have a variety of cover and open terrain in an area that will be more or less deserted (as most parks should be on weekdays) you can throw a nerf war there.

VACC has spoken.

Anyway, don't be afraid to ask some adults for help.

If they doubt the safety of Nerf, let them shoot a modded NF, or something similiar.

In my experience, most adults rather enjoy the feeling of shooting someone with foam.

P.S. if you use washer stefans, MAKE SURE they are completely covered.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#25 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:19 PM

I know that this is just barely even planning stage, but the Season of Foam thread lists this war as August 6th. I'm kind of confused there. Is that the final, decided-on date (assuming we want this war in the documentary) or is the SOF-T 5 holding a war here on that date?

Anyway, I looked on Google StreetView and I found one or two parks, namely Fair Park and Old City Park in Dallas. Fair Park looked okay if we really wanted an outside war, and Old City Park looked kind of fancy for a nerf war... It looks like an indoor war might be our best bet. But finding a suitable location might be even harder than finding a good outdoor one. I'm not sure about Arlington though. Maybe I'm missing something.

EDIT: Here in Arlington doesnt look too bad.

I just wanna point this out: You'd find it best to stay the hell away from Randol Mills. It's not a good street, traffic constantly pours down it, it's next to Six Flags, both sports arenas, and a GM Plant.

VACC hath spoken!

Actually, knowing the area public schools, none of them have good cover. In fact, they're just boxes with the occasional skinny tree at the edge of the campus. Also, there's always someone there. I don't know why, but there's always someone. :ph34r: :lol:

VACC has spoken.

Anyway, don't be afraid to ask some adults for help.

If they doubt the safety of Nerf, let them shoot a modded NF, or something similiar.

In my experience, most adults rather enjoy the feeling of shooting someone with foam.

P.S. if you use washer stefans, MAKE SURE they are completely covered.

It's sad, actually, I was gonna say "No Stefans". I nearly got my eye put out once because of a Stefan. For that matter, I'd prefer not using taggers. I nearly got my eye put out TWICE from those... From my cousin's stock maverick all the way across the living room... :ph34r:

If your aim is steady enough AWAY from the head, and you can prove it, I'll have no qualms with you bringing Stefans/Taggers.

On that note, I have no qualms against any sort of mod to any nerf gun. That includes singled Titans... :ph34r:

I had an epiphany: Juan Seguin High School, 7001 Silo Road, Arlington, Texas, 76002. It's got a weirdly-shaped main building, several portables, and an exapansive campus. It's the smallest High School, but it's got a damn large campus.

Tell me what you think!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users