RoseArt Barrel Firefly + Paint

21 replies to this topic

#1 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts
  • State:Kentucky

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:01 AM

(My apologies in advance for a lack of pics. My camera was acting very temperamental and I was short on time. As soon as I get a chance to get back home I will take lots of detail shots of the painted and assembled 'cat.)

I found a first-gen Firefly at the thrift store for $1, so I thought to myself, why not. I've always liked how the Firefly looks and how the stock feels in my bent arm, and for that price I just couldn't pass it up. It was in good working condition (though the outside screws were rusted and needed to be replaced, and the light didn't work; I yanked that out). Stock it was getting around 35-40 feet flat with just pegs and air restrictors removed. Not good at all, but I thought a barrel replacement might do it some justice.

Internals, minus ARs and posts:
Posted Image

Modified Barrels:
Posted Image

I got a pack of RoseArt markers from Target ($3 for a set of 12). I find them easier to work with than Crayolas because they don't have the dart-scarring ridges on the insides and they don't taper on the insides. They fit my foam quite well. The bottoms of the markers come off without cutting (You'll need pliers, a clamp, or a good set of teeth), and you can just toss the spongy reservoir inside, but you'll need to cut the tops of the markers off as well to form three-inch tubes. The tops of the marker tubes have ridges that will keep darts in place, but won't bruise or scar them during firing.

After sawing down the stock barrels, I wrapped electrical tape around the bases of the new RoseArt barrels until they fit firmly inside the holes of the base of the turret. (It's a solid white piece that attaches to the rest of the internals). They held fast and didn't rattle; I didn't need to glue them down. The difficult part, though, was getting them to fit neatly into the clear housing for the barrel stubs. I used my trusty Dremel rotary tool to clean out the spaces where the stock barrels used to be in order to get the new RoseArt barrels to fit cleanly. Truth be told, the duct tape was more cosmetic than anything. I had to peel it away in some places for the barrels to fit cleanly.

I also replaced the stock spring with a spring from a Tek 6 I gutted previously.
Posted Image

On to the painting...

After gutting the internals and sanding down the insignias on the outside of the shell, I sprayed the it with two quick coats of Testors Enamel grey primer, then two even coats of Krylon Camo Ultra-Flat Black.

Posted Image

This gave me an even surface on which to paint. From there I started dry-brushing acrylic paints to the shell, beginning with the largest areas first.

Posted Image
Colour 1 is Red Oxide mixed with Mars Black.

Posted Image
Colour 2 is Metallic Silver (Aluminum - PM1) mixed with Mars Black.

Posted Image
Colour 3 is Yellow Oxide mixed with Raw Sienna and a touch of Mars Black.
At this point I gave this beast some teeth, free-handing the open jaws graphics onto the turret housing with a white coloured pencil after sketching it out a couple times. I forgot about those vents molded into the shell, though, so no eyes.

Posted Image
Here I have started on painting the jaws using a mix of Red Oxide, Burnt Umber, Mars Black, and Raw Sienna. I didn't want to make it look too pasty or too thick, so I used a touch of acrylic matte medium.

Posted Image
And here is the finished shell, seven hours later. To seal the paintjob, I applied three coats of Krylon Matte Finish (since a glossy coat would take away from the battle-weathered paint job I was going for).

This is where my camera died, unfortunately, and I didn't have time to replace the batteries and get good shots of the whole blaster reassembled before I left for campus. However, I did have a chance to do some range tests outdoors with foam-and-washer stefans on a cold day. This blaster averaged around 50' flat, but with better (warmer) conditions I would make a conservative estimate of around 55 feet. Not impressive by any means, but serviceable as an indoor primary and absolutely intimidating in close-quarters settings such as an office or a classroom.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#2 Salindin Naz

Salindin Naz

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:15 AM

Very nice. I love the teeth, gives it an old school bomber feel. Great job on the paint, can't wait to see the rest of the pictures.

Salindin

#3 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:33 AM

That PJ is SICK. I'll definitely dry-brush my next gun.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#4 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:35 AM

Nice details on the paint job.

The yellow tone on the bottom really helps to accent the whole blaster. Had it remained constant, it wouldn't be as interesting.

Edited by aetherguy881, 23 January 2009 - 01:36 AM.

--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#5 CrazyIvan VI

CrazyIvan VI

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:43 AM

DAMN.

That's the best firefly I think I've ever seen.

Original too.

Great job.
I get all giddy when I see VACC browsing a stupid topic. I just know someone is going to get banned.

#6 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:14 AM

That is one of the nicest FF I've ever seen for sure. Great job on the paint really taking it to the next level. perfect name for it.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#7 Eliboom

Eliboom

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

wow, that is an amazing paint job...ill try to get some of my paint jobs posted up soon
"...(small whisper)..."
"what was that?"
"I SAID BOOM HEAD-SHOT!"
"oh, i see"

#8 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

That is the best FF I have ever seen in my life. Really love the dinosaur effect around the top part of the gun head. No questions are really need, just really nice work. Can't wait to see more come from you.
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#9 Drew is nerfing

Drew is nerfing

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:24 PM

that pj is SICK! I'm gonna go out and buy a firefly just to attempt a paint job like that! awesome!

#10 General Nerf

General Nerf

• Banned
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:47 PM

Are you doing any sick mods to the gun itself or just the same old same old?
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! I am Rambo Fear me with all your might! ugh nnnnnoooooo I just got shot with a nerf dart! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! eh..eh..help me...

#11 lazer371

lazer371

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:56 PM

Same here i love the paint job! Its better than anything I can do... The teath make it look like a mustang (The best fighter plane in WW2)
I aint plannen' on unlearnin' no grammer.
(makes you think....)

They say, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." What?!?!?!?!
I say, "Screw that! Give me a bigger gun!"

#12 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

Did you get the brush marks out of the paint or not? Either way nice job.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#13 General Nerf

General Nerf

• Banned
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:59 PM

WELL ANY SICK MODS

Edited by General Nerf, 23 January 2009 - 07:01 PM.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! I am Rambo Fear me with all your might! ugh nnnnnoooooo I just got shot with a nerf dart! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! eh..eh..help me...

#14 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:04 PM

WELL ANY SICK MODS

Dude, shut up. This is a firefly. It's getting 50ft. What do you think. The thing is the awesome PJ.

DBAD.

And to the creator of this beast, Great Job.
QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#15 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:49 PM

Wow, thank you for all of the compliments! I appreciate the feedback.
To answer a couple questions:

General Nerf - I did replace the barrels in the turret and replace the spring, as shown in the write-up. Even with those modifications I couldn't get anything over 50 feet during my range tests. My results seem to be consistent with what I have seen from other Firefly mod write-ups around the NIC. The plunger tube of the Firefly is not particularly large, even for such a menacing-looking blaster, which is my best guess as to why it doesn't get more force behind its shots.

Longshot Wielder - Acrylics tend to level as they dry, reducing the appearance of brush marks and strokes. Even then, the three coats of matte finish would have evened out the surface of the painted shell.

(Quick edit for format)

Edited by dizzyduck, 23 January 2009 - 07:50 PM.

Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#16 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:22 PM

Now add a sweet arse red flash and with such a magnificent paintjob you'll have a true hellcat!
SoothSayer-

"Just adding some lube and twisting it back and forth for a while should make it easier"

Subscribe to my Music page and mods >> http://www.youtube.com/user/OnyxMP312

#17 General Nerf

General Nerf

• Banned
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:02 AM

WELL ANY SICK MODS

Dude, shut up. This is a firefly. It's getting 50ft. What do you think. The thing is the awesome PJ.

DBAD.

And to the creator of this beast, Great Job.

Yes it looks awesome. Im just saying if he is going too try too make it go very far. So just lay off.

Edited by General Nerf, 24 January 2009 - 08:02 AM.

#18 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:42 AM

Yes it looks awesome. Im just saying if he is going too try too make it go very far. So just lay off.

He already talked about the mods in the original post, so it's a waste to keep asking.

On topic: When I saw a crazy name combined with roseart barrels, I didn't think I had anything to see here, so I have been putting off looking at this topic, but I wish I wouldn't have. Wowzers. I expected the paint to stop after the flat black, but this is totally awesome. Dry-brushing is a great technique, and you totally pulled it off. I also really like the wolf jaws, but I wish it had eyes. Should you have realized that beforehand, you could have bondoed over the vents and painted the eyes. Either way though, it looks fantastic.

Edited by slowguitarman, 24 January 2009 - 12:03 PM.

Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#19 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

The only things I could think to improve ranges are replacing the Tek 6 spring with an even stronger spring (which I would probably have to custom order) or to take out the spring mechanism entirely and integrate something like an AT2k into the shell.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#20 scorpinox

scorpinox

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:32 PM

shall i compare thee to a beauty among the gods
"For those who think guns get the job done, I beg to differ, if we do this my way just blow the place up."

#21 neonpistols

neonpistols

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

I took out the Ar's and pegs, added an nf spring, and sealed up the plunger and my distance didn't change one bit. I guess a barrel swap might do the trick. Nice paint job by the way.
"All I'm gonna do is just go on and do what I feel" - Jimi Hendrix

#22 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:18 PM

I took out the Ar's and pegs, added an nf spring, and sealed up the plunger and my distance didn't change one bit. I guess a barrel swap might do the trick. Nice paint job by the way.

Added in addition to the stock FF spring or replaced the FF spring with a NF spring? I believe the first-gen FF spring is stronger than the current-gen NF spring, but I could be mistaken.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users