GoW inspired Nerf Vulcan "Pic heavy"

27 replies to this topic

#1 kwaneazy

kwaneazy

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:06 AM

Hi everyone,
I painted my Vulcan a month or so ago for a prop in a costume party get-up. Thought I'd share some pics with the community.

Note - as a little side mod, I did the 50 belt attachment, and bought a tracer box from the disposals shop. It is held onto the vulcan with 2 pieces of rare earth magnets and some foam.

Enjoy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 boom

boom

• Banned
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:08 AM

Not backseat modding but check out the modifacation/paintjob sticky.
I'm just the scitzophrenic clusterfuck of randomness that is me.

#3 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:09 AM

I must say, that ammo box is sexy as hell. How well does the 50 round belt fit? (also, disposals shop? I've never heard that term)

trans as shit because fuck you

#4 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:10 AM

Is that box from an army surplus store?
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#5 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:16 AM

Not backseat modding but check out the modifacation/paintjob sticky.

This is an original paintjob and modification with a new ammo box idea, and he wants feedback. He did nothing wrong.

And back on topic: How well does that ammo box stay on the gun? It's metal, right? It's seems to me that those magnets might not be strong enough to hold that heavy box on when you're running around with it.

Also, with a longer belt, you need something to catch the belt on the other side, because 1. a long belt hanging off your gun is awkward as hell, and 2. the weight of the giant empty belt on the other side will put some serious stress on the rotation mechanisms, and will probably cause the gun to malfunction, break, or jam.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#6 kwaneazy

kwaneazy

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:22 AM

AssasinNF those are all valid points. For that very purpose I paid extra for rare earth magnets, I have 2 stuck on the side and each one is rated at being able to pull a 6kg load. If you put the box on at the right place, it takes some muscle to pry off. If won't fall off if you run with it ...but your arms might from the weight.

I have thought about putting another box on the side to catch the darts but I think the sheer weight will then make it impracticable to take around. As such, for now this is a display item/stationary gun.

Sorry, in Australia our army surplus stores are called "Aussie Disposals", so yes you can pick one of these tracer boxes up from there. It is a 7.62mm tracer box and it fits the 50 dart belt very well.

#7 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:00 AM

If anyone wants to buy one they're easily found for less than $20 through cheaperthandirt.com
http://www.cheaperth....aspx?catid=290

Edited by CaptainSlug, 02 January 2009 - 06:00 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#8 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:14 AM

If anyone wants to buy one they're easily found for less than $20 through cheaperthandirt.com
http://www.cheaperth....aspx?catid=290

If you live in Michigan, "Young's army navy-surplus and survival games" has ammo boxes varying in price, size, and round size/type. I got a decent sized 5.56 (armalite) box for 10 round magazines loaded with blanks for only $11. Young's also has a website. youngsarmy.com

Edited by bigred1rifleman, 02 January 2009 - 09:16 AM.

#9 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:09 AM

Very good job dry brushing. ^_^
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#10 kwaneazy

kwaneazy

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:47 AM

Thanks mate!

I learnt how to do it when my little brother was heavy into warhammer. Notice all the citadel paints I was using. Awesome stuff once you get the hang of it.

#11 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:32 AM

AssasinNF those are all valid points. For that very purpose I paid extra for rare earth magnets, I have 2 stuck on the side and each one is rated at being able to pull a 6kg load. If you put the box on at the right place, it takes some muscle to pry off. If won't fall off if you run with it ...but your arms might from the weight.

I have thought about putting another box on the side to catch the darts but I think the sheer weight will then make it impracticable to take around. As such, for now this is a display item/stationary gun.

Sorry, in Australia our army surplus stores are called "Aussie Disposals", so yes you can pick one of these tracer boxes up from there. It is a 7.62mm tracer box and it fits the 50 dart belt very well.

Those are some strong magnets.

I built a 75-round box out of polycarb, and a belt catcher out of CPVC and a pillowcase. Needless to say, it's rediculously heavy, and won't spend alot of time off of the mount I built for it. It's now just a defense turret for CTF games, but it's pretty damn fun to shoot.

You don't have to make the belt catcher another box. You just need a bag or something, like I did. It's much lighter.

And I agree with Galaxy. That is a wicked paintjob.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#12 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:32 PM

Hey, can you show me exactly how you attached the box to the gun? Because I have one of those boxes which I found for 7 bucks at a hardware store, and I modded three chains together and wanted to attach the box to it to have 75 shots (which luckily couldn't fit better in the box). And also, do the magnets slam the box to the gun and damage it when you put it on?

#13 kwaneazy

kwaneazy

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

Hey, can you show me exactly how you attached the box to the gun? Because I have one of those boxes which I found for 7 bucks at a hardware store, and I modded three chains together and wanted to attach the box to it to have 75 shots (which luckily couldn't fit better in the box). And also, do the magnets slam the box to the gun and damage it when you put it on?

Here is the pic of how I mounted the magnets and the box.

Posted Image

On the box, I also put a strip of velcro to dampen the impact during attachment.

The magnets are stuck onto the gun (very carefully) with hot glue. As you can see I have put a piece of neoprene foam under the magnets that the box can lean against.

#14 boom

boom

• Banned
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

Wow aewsome PJ I bet you could get a pretty penny on ebay with that.

#15 MrDelish

MrDelish

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:29 AM

The paintjob is decent, but isn't something to go "wow" about

If it's one of your first, good job. Otherwise, you need to put more effort into it.

#16 boom

boom

• Banned
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:05 AM

If it's one of your first, good job. Otherwise, you need to put more effort into it.

I would love to see you post a PJ better than that!Otherwise you need to shut the fuck up.

#17 serpent sniper

serpent sniper

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:35 AM

Boom - Are you serious? You haven't seen Delish's Dead Space gun, or his Warhammer Pistol, apparently.

Anyways, cool gun. You've added wear in all the right places though, looks very Gearsy. I like the milsurp ammo box, but I dunno how I feel about the rest of the OD on the gun. Personally, I would do some additional drybrushing, not to add wear, but to highlight some areas using a darker metallic color. Maybe drybrush on some of the more dynamic surfaces to break up the monotony and make it pop.

Edited by serpent sniper, 04 January 2009 - 03:36 AM.

Animus GmbH My Custom Nerf Props and Paintjobs

#18 Onewithforce

Onewithforce

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:27 AM

You do realize all the "scuffs and marks" that are on the gun are PAINTED there, right? Its not a lack of effort. I'll "wow" about it if you won't. :P Also, Brilliant job with the ammo box. Its funny how something that would seem so obvious would never have crossed my mind. Props to you!

#19 boom

boom

• Banned
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

I just looked at mr delish's PJs and they kick the crap out of this gun.

#20 kwaneazy

kwaneazy

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

Yeah Mr delish's work is very good.

Truth be told this is my first and only Nerf gun that I have/will paint.

I did it as part of a costume for a party.

Lazy? No. Rushed perhaps? Very much so.

For those interested in seeing the armour I wore this gun with -

http://photos-c.ak.f...1527178_543.jpg

*note, I made the lime green pieces of armour out of cardboard and fibreglass resin. The rest of the suit, including helmet was purchased off ebay.

#21 Betrayal

Betrayal

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:08 AM

Nice Halo costume. Nice vulcan. Nice ammobox.
QUOTE(VACC @ Apr 15 2009, 11:23 AM) View Post

Doing shit is hard work.

VACC

#22 kwaneazy

kwaneazy

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:09 AM

Nice signature quote.

Love it.

#23 Nakey Boy

Nakey Boy

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

Very nice. i've been looking for something to hold an extended belt for my vulcan. didn't think to look at Aussie disposals for 7.62 belt boxes

Obligatory "don't take this outside, aussie cops are paranoid" warning too since you've painted it.

#24 MrDelish

MrDelish

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:33 AM

Yeah Mr delish's work is very good.

Truth be told this is my first and only Nerf gun that I have/will paint.

I did it as part of a costume for a party.

Lazy? No. Rushed perhaps? Very much so.

For those interested in seeing the armour I wore this gun with -

http://photos-c.ak.f...1527178_543.jpg

*note, I made the lime green pieces of armour out of cardboard and fibreglass resin. The rest of the suit, including helmet was purchased off ebay.

That suit is so out of place and so nerdy

I am jealous

#25 General Nerf

General Nerf

• Banned
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:27 PM

Hey pretty cool just one thing do that mod too take of the front and paint your ammo box then It wold be the beastest thing ever made out of nerf. Except the nerf lancer from forsakenangel did I spell that right? anyways it would be the SECOND awesomest thing I have ever seen!

Edited by General Nerf, 09 January 2009 - 07:27 PM.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! I am Rambo Fear me with all your might! ugh nnnnnoooooo I just got shot with a nerf dart! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! eh..eh..help me...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users