Photo

The Zip Weapon

7 replies to this topic

#1 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

Here is my ZIP Weapon, the Zephyr Inline Projectile Weapon. It was designed with ease of use and production as well as low price in mind. It's my first homemade spring (my pneumatic one is beastly), so don't start yelling at me because it sucks. BTW: this is the prototype. It has a range of 25' flat. The barrel is mostly inside of the gun (I'll probably cut off the front because it decreases in power and increases in length). I call it the zip because zip gun means (not literally/technically) a gun easily made out of cheap/common materials. The O ring is just an O ring I had lying around, so are the springs (one crossfire and one maverick).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here's Mk.2. Mk.2 has the barrel stub cut off, a reinforced (with a boat load of hot glue) catch, and screws holding it together instead of hot glue, so I can take it apart.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I might add a video link sometime soon.
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Dare I ask, flames? ;)

Edited by bigred1rifleman, 20 January 2009 - 04:46 PM.

#2 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/LukeKoboJobo on Reddit

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:40 PM

It's a fucking FrankenSnap! Is that a carved stick for the plunger rod!? Hard-fucking-core!

Edited by TantumBull, 19 January 2009 - 08:40 PM.

#3 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:46 PM

Yes, it is a carved plunger rod, the original one was to large so I took my Dremel to it. Part of it just broke because it was a very old piece, but I'm about to fix it.

#4 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

I actually made something a lot like this a while back. It's a fun way to put a gun together, if not terribly practical. (The resemblance was mechanical only; no wooden plunger rod (!?) to be seen.)
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#5 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:50 PM

It's a boomstick!

That's pretty much what my very first SNAP prototype looked like, before I got a handle on it or anything....right down to the wooden plunger rod:
Posted Image

Although it looks like you used 1" thinwall for the plunger tube, and got it a lot smaller. I nver got o-rings to work right...I only managed to glue my fingers together when I tried.

What's the draw on your plunger? If the barrel is mostly inside the main tube, it has to be pretty short...and 25' isn't bad for a compact little piece.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#6 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:36 PM

It's a boomstick!

That's pretty much what my very first SNAP prototype looked like, before I got a handle on it or anything....right down to the wooden plunger rod:
[Image Removed; DON'T QUOTE IMAGES!]

Although it looks like you used 1" thinwall for the plunger tube, and got it a lot smaller. I nver got o-rings to work right...I only managed to glue my fingers together when I tried.

What's the draw on your plunger? If the barrel is mostly inside the main tube, it has to be pretty short...and 25' isn't bad for a compact little piece.

Do you mean the draw weight? If so, I'm not sure. It's a fun gun for it's size though. I essentially made this to learn more about the trigger system.

#7 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

Not so much the weight as the length. How many inches does the plunger pull back?
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#8 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:45 PM

It sticks out of the back of the gun about 2 7/8" when it's cocked and 1 1/8" when un-cocked. I'm surprised at the ranges for this size.

~Br1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users