Copper V.s. Brass

yes I searched

16 replies to this topic

#1 nerfer63

nerfer63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:23 PM

Can I use copper instead of brass for a barrel meaning or are they the same thing? If I can use copper which size could I nest in 1/2 pvc.

#2 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:25 PM

Well for one, Copper is much larger I.D than brass, which micro's won't have a good fit unless your foam is extremely large. You can fit 9/16" brass tape'd into 1/2" PVC, but I have no clue about copper.

#3 Darth Tom

Darth Tom

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:31 PM

Seeing as it's the standard response to these kind of topics, I'll tell you to learn to use the search function. All the information you could ever want on copper could be found that way.

However, I'll answer your question too. Copper and Brass are very different. First, all Nerf micros, homemade or not, hover around the 1/2" diameter mark. 1/2" copper has an ID that is slightly too large for the great variety of darts. The reason that people use brass is because it comes in a variety of sizes - 1/2, 17/32, 9/16, etc. They can then find a size that fits their darts. Most people use 17/32 or 9/16.

All foam is different, and you need to find a barrel size that fits it. Do some research, try things on your own. The short answer is, figure it out yourself. You're the only person who has your darts, so you're the only person who can find your perfect dart/barrel combo.

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:33 PM

"yes I searched" does not give you a free pass from criticism, because it's still obvious that you didn't actually read any of the results of the search.
This has been discussed at length and every thread ends up with the same outcome.

Copper is expensive.
Copper doesn't come in as wide of a variety of sizes.
Copper pipe is even softer than brass tubing.

Brass is used by many because it comes in such minutely incremental sizes, and each size can be nested in other sizes.

The following will always be true: USE THE BARREL MATERIAL THAT FITS THE HOMEMADE DARTS YOU INTEND TO USE. That's all there is to it.
Quit asking people what will work with what because nobody can tell you that with 100% accuracy.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:58 PM

Oh fuck, another nerfer# member...

They aren't the same thing. A penny is actually worth about three cents in copper, copper is expensive.
Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 14 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

Damn it Foamfoot. Why is it that you kill every good topic with a retarded response a few days late.

#6 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:13 PM

Oh fuck, another nerfer# member...

They aren't the same thing. A penny is actually worth about three cents in copper, copper is expensive.

Aren't pennies just coated in copper nowadays? And that coating cost 3 cents per penny? Shit. Or are you referring to older pennies?

#7 minsc

minsc

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

Aren't pennies just coated in copper nowadays? And that coating cost 3 cents per penny? Shit. Or are you referring to older pennies?

Yep, modern pennies are zinc with a copper electroplating. I don't think its worth all that much though. Older pennies are worth more, melted down.
QUOTE(Zorn's Lemma @ Jul 25 2010, 12:18 AM) View Post

You'll do a lot better if you spread the lips with the front. Trying to wriggle the back in there first seems a bit counterintuitive.

RSCBow

#8 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:28 PM

He is correct. Modern pennies still cost more to produce then they are worth. Just like every other facet of our monetary system It costs more to produce the unit of money then it is actually worth.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#9 Noob Modder

Noob Modder

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:19 AM

Yeah, the government is going to use five cent increments for everything soon because of the penny's non-worth.
--DMQ
"i gots da good grammers"
"the only thing we have to fear is if the ninjas are coming!"
"mr. macho super-hero serial killer lemur-bear."
i am ninja-pwner

#10 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:36 PM

People have been saying that for as long as i can remember.

#11 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:54 PM

I'm pretty sure that pennies from 1982 and before are made of almost 100% copper. I'm also pretty sure that it is illegal to melt down money.

#12 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:25 PM

I'm pretty sure that pennies from 1982 and before are made of almost 100% copper. I'm also pretty sure that it is illegal to melt down money.

Bronze, actually. They have gone through various iterations, however. And yes, it is now illegal to destroy money for the express purpose of selling the material it is made of.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#13 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

Bronze, actually. They have gone through various iterations, however. And yes, it is now illegal to destroy money for the express purpose of selling the material it is made of.

Not to seem like an ass, but it actually is copper. :blush: Well, actually about 95% copper and about 5% zinc for pre-1982 pennies. Source

Also, The Guide To Barrel Material has some information on copper barrels.

Edited by cheesypiza001, 19 January 2009 - 10:19 PM.

#14 Nobber

Nobber

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:07 AM

Well, actually, despite the crappy downsides of copper, if it fits your darts (I don't want to know what are your darts ;) ), you can use it, but again brass is probably more convienient.
-You Commie! You Fascist! You anti federalist! You anarchist! You, you Walmart...
-These days, because of the energy crisis, if Santa gave me coal, I'd be happy delighted.
I'd go emo if there wasn't nerf. - DarkShrimp

#15 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:33 PM

Not to seem like an ass, but it actually is copper. ;) Well, actually about 95% copper and about 5% zinc for pre-1982 pennies. Source

Well, you are still an ass, as you are not entirely correct. Nor was I , however. Read the Wikipedia article to confirm. Bronze and Brass are both alloys of copper. I was correct in stating that pennies were made of an alloy, I merely mixed up my iterations and thought that the pre-'82 units were bronze. They are in fact brass. Yes, you were correct in stating the percentages of the alloy, but you are very naive not to understand that those numbers make it an ALLOY, not an ELEMENT. Take a chemistry class.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#16 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

Not to seem like an ass, but it actually is copper. :D Well, actually about 95% copper and about 5% zinc for pre-1982 pennies. Source

Well, you are still an ass, as you are not entirely correct. Nor was I , however. Read the Wikipedia article to confirm. Bronze and Brass are both alloys of copper. I was correct in stating that pennies were made of an alloy, I merely mixed up my iterations and thought that the pre-'82 units were bronze. They are in fact brass. Yes, you were correct in stating the percentages of the alloy, but you are very naive not to understand that those numbers make it an ALLOY, not an ELEMENT. Take a chemistry class.

Ah, I see. I guess I was still being an ass. Sorry. :blush:

Edited by cheesypiza001, 20 January 2009 - 06:58 PM.

#17 nerfer63

nerfer63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for the help on the brass and copper and the nice education on pennies :D . But please stop posting. Let the topic die.

Edited by nerfer63, 20 January 2009 - 10:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users