Recon Breech Write-up

I Dub Thee "Poly Breech"

17 replies to this topic

#1 SorrowX

SorrowX

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:31 PM

Hello NIC,as many of you know, this is my first write-up, so please go easy on me.

This write-up is for the Recon CS6, and will hopefully provide a standard mod for this blaster. This mod requires basic-moderate modding experience.

Materials Required:
1/2' brass
17/32' brass
9/16' brass
19/32' brass
5/8' brass
Plumber's Goop or other adhesive(your going to need to have one that at least similar consistantcy)

It is recommended you do the following mods first:
http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=10472
http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=10498
http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=10436
http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=10444

Now, on to the goods.

remove your dart tooth and clip lock. you wont be needing them. See those screws under the bolt sled? take them out and take out whats inside that little box. you wont be needing these either.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now its time to get to the main part. Take your 1/2' brass and cut it down the middle about 3.5 inches. Mine isn't that long, i know, i screwed up. when your done cutting, clean up the cut that way the dart will be undamaged. now shove the uncut end into the breech. make a mark and measure. DO NOT CUT THIS MARK! from the front where the halfway cut ends, cut the distance from there, but leave some room.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now coat the end of the brass in goop and shove it into the stock breech as far at it can go.while we let that sit, we work on the other end of the breech.
Posted Image
Posted Image
this is the part where my camera died, so your going to have to work off of words from here until i get some pictures. Take a 6 inch section of 17/32' brass and put it into a 2 inch section of 9/16' brass with about 2 inches of nothing but 17/32' brass and keep it that way. now take this and stick it into a 4.5 inch section of 19/32' brass.now take that heavy thing and stick it into your 5/8' brass. now the the end with the 17/32' brass exposed and put it in the stock breech receiver. it didn't work out too well by itself, so i ended up permanently attaching the barrel extension to the receiver and gooping it into that. Make sure that the breech fully closes into the receiver before gooping. this is critical, and It absolutely sucks that I have no picture to show you how to do this. Let the goop dry, then assemble your new weapon and be amazed by its weight. Then be amazed by its ranges.

I didn't have time to accurately measure ranges before I had to return it to my friend who asked me to mod it, but by estimating, it got about 85-90 ft. flat with a cdtd. I really don't know how accurate those estimates are, so don't trust your judgment on that. this is my first write-up, so of course there is bound to be errors.
You may have the balls, but I have the lack of morality!

#2 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:46 PM

Wow, that's a good first write-up! Hopefully you can get some pictures, anyways is that the same breech you used for Forbidden Valley?
EDIT:
Galaxy613, I agree with you yet...

There are no off-the-shelf stand-alone valves you can use as a trigger for a pneumatic nerf gun that will fit inside the Recon shell. In fact even a 2k or 3k blast chamber won't fit inside one without hindering the breech.

Edited by Watari, 07 October 2008 - 10:55 PM.

#3 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:50 PM

I didn't have time to accurately measure ranges before I had to return it to my friend who asked me to mod it, but by estimating, it got about 85-90 ft. flat with a cdtd...

Get out your tape measure and start counting. No one will believe a Recon that gets 85ft without the internals being replaced with a AT2k. :P
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#4 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:55 PM

EDIT: Wrong thread. What are the odds?

Edited by Norther_of_Heaven, 07 October 2008 - 11:00 PM.

"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#5 SorrowX

SorrowX

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:07 PM

I didn't have time to accurately measure ranges before I had to return it to my friend who asked me to mod it, but by estimating, it got about 85-90 ft. flat with a cdtd...

Get out your tape measure and start counting. No one will believe a Recon that gets 85ft without the internals being replaced with a AT2k. :P

each mod works in conjunction with each other. without the spring in the stock, range is dead by so much.

#6 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:11 PM

Wait a sec, how are you getting CDTS's to shoot out of 1/2" brass?

#7 SorrowX

SorrowX

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:24 PM

its pretty much a stefan made with the foam of a tagger dart. it fits just fine.

#8 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:55 PM

its pretty much a stefan made with the foam of a tagger dart. it fits just fine.

I know what they are, they are my primary source of ammo. I don't understand how in the hell they are getting into your breach without jamming, because they have such a tight fit in 1/2" brass.
Oh wait, I just remembered that the darts that come stock with black tips are thinner. So if you're using converted taggers made out of those than nevermind.

Edited by TantumBull, 07 October 2008 - 11:56 PM.

#9 mocky

mocky

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:06 AM

1/2" brass is the outer diameter of the brass tube, so if a tagger is 1/2" in diameter how is meant to fit into a hole with a diameter less than 1/2"?

Also in Angel's breech mod he explicitly states the 1/2" brass is to push the dart forward from the breech into the 19/32" brass barrel (with tightenging rings). I have 30 taggers and 3 x 12" lengths of 1/2" brass tube and none of them fit, actually none of my darts will fit 1/2" brass tube, even my 10mm FBR won't slide into a 1/2" brass tube. Using vernier calipers, foam from regular 30pack of nerf dart taggers are 0.4830" and I.D. of 1/2" brass is 0.4710". Explain yourself.

#10 Guest_Killakit_*

Guest_Killakit_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:02 AM

Thats great. Just get up pictures soon just because this is a great modification it is just that, some people can't do writeups without pictures. I am somewhat one of them. But great job. That looks good.

#11 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:34 PM

why is it, that this post triggered my security program? why are there external links embedded into his pics?
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#12 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:47 PM

why is it, that this post triggered my security program? why are there external links embedded into his pics?

Because that's the way ImageShack rolls. The copypasta code for images they provide includes a hyperlink in return for their free services.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#13 SorrowX

SorrowX

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:18 PM

1/2" brass is the outer diameter of the brass tube, so if a tagger is 1/2" in diameter how is meant to fit into a hole with a diameter less than 1/2"?

Also in Angel's breech mod he explicitly states the 1/2" brass is to push the dart forward from the breech into the 19/32" brass barrel (with tightenging rings). I have 30 taggers and 3 x 12" lengths of 1/2" brass tube and none of them fit, actually none of my darts will fit 1/2" brass tube, even my 10mm FBR won't slide into a 1/2" brass tube. Using vernier calipers, foam from regular 30pack of nerf dart taggers are 0.4830" and I.D. of 1/2" brass is 0.4710". Explain yourself.

All of the breeches I make for my guns use 1/2" brass, it seems to work just fine, as far as I can tell. its a very tight fit, I understand, and the main reason i use 1/2" brass as the main breech is because I have a hard time finding 9/16" brass in any hobby shop or hardware shop that sells K&S Brass. Also, the main reason I prefer 1/2" brass is because it holds in the dart really well, which allows more pressure to build up before the dart exits the breech and continues into the barrel. It also nullifies the need for tightening rings, but you could have them on anyways. Ask Falcon, or anyone else in so-cal that designs and makes their own breech for primaries, and the majority of us will admit to using 1/2" brass. Plus, 17/32" brass can't be jammed into the recon stock breech that well without sanding down the inside. :D

#14 mocky

mocky

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:44 AM

I've got all this 1/2" K&S brass I bought since I was given the impression it could be used as a barrel material, it was also more available than the other sizes of K&S brass. I can push a tagger about 15mm in 1/2" brass before it buckles. Since I've measured tagger sizes with calipers, I take it that you guys must heatgun your foam or compress it to get it to fit.
Nice writeup for those who use 1/2" barrel too bad it doesn't take larger sized barrels. Are there accurate measurement of ranges for this mod yet?

Edited by mocky, 10 October 2008 - 04:07 AM.

#15 SorrowX

SorrowX

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:29 PM

I've got all this 1/2" K&S brass I bought since I was given the impression it could be used as a barrel material, it was also more available than the other sizes of K&S brass. I can push a tagger about 15mm in 1/2" brass before it buckles. Since I've measured tagger sizes with calipers, I take it that you guys must heatgun your foam or compress it to get it to fit.
Nice writeup for those who use 1/2" barrel too bad it doesn't take larger sized barrels. Are there accurate measurement of ranges for this mod yet?

Yes, actually. average ranges are 73 ft flat. It might appear different for others, but my testing range is indoors, and the only problem is that it occasionally clips the tail of the dart. 1/2" brass makes good breech material, not good barrel material(unless you have a super soaker nerf gun).

#16 Chris is cool

Chris is cool

• Banned
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

Can you still use the average Recon clip with this mod?

#17 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

Yes you can,

However, you posted in a topic that has been dead for 2 1/2 months. Next time just PM for a question from an old topic.
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#18 Chris is cool

Chris is cool

• Banned
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

Sorry, I'm new :(, its not an excuse its a reason for condolences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users