Guns In The Cold

11 replies to this topic

#1 venom213

venom213

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

I know people have been asking this a lot lately, but I want to take precautions before I go to a war in below freezing temperatures on Saturday. Now, questions:

1. Is using a pump-plugged gun with a reasonable number of pumps considerably risky in the cold? I would be using an At2k, At3k, or a SM750. I would most likely be using 5-6 pumps on the 2k, 3-4 pumps on the 3k, and 5-7 pumps on the SM750 (mine has always required more pumps than a usual SM750).
2. Would an unplugged air gun be fairly safe to use in the cold? I would be using a NGG, BBBB, and a LBB.

I have nerfed in the cold before, but this is considerably colder than any of my previous experiences.

Edited by venom213, 15 January 2009 - 07:14 PM.

#2 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

We used to find that air guns generally worked worse in the cold. It probably has something do with the density of air in different temperatures, but I would stay with the safe number of pumps you've been using.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#3 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

I would use an unplugged BBBB or the like with CPVC. Darts shring insanely in the cold, so if your darts fit PETG like mine do, they will fit CPVC quite nicely. I wouldn't pump any gun more than 5 times plugged, to reduce your chance of making a short range mortar out of it. Also, do not use hot glue to glue the CPVC/coupler onto the gun, because hot glue breaks off REALLY easily in the cold (when I have hot glue on something and I want to get it off, I stuff it in the freezer).
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#4 Heedfulkiller

Heedfulkiller

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

In my experience ( what little there is) is nerfing in the cold is just a bad idea the plastic gets brittle and the pressure in the tank just makes it worse. But that's below freezing, since liquids freeze.

Edited by Heedfulkiller, 15 January 2009 - 08:32 PM.

"THEY RUN AROUND, PLAY AROUND, AND EAT PEOPLE!"
my little brother explaining a small dinosaur

"I BUILT A TACO, A METAL TACO!"
another quote from my little brother

#5 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

Head, we are Nerfing in below freezing for sure.

Venom, get yourself some good lube. I picked up a can of White Lithium Grease for this war, as it doesn't freeze. If you wanna use some, I'll bring it.

Just don't be stupid with your guns, and if Crazy is coming, tell him to leave his Crossbow at home.

So spring guns wont loose that much range? Good for me. Im all springers here.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#6 sonnysonny

sonnysonny

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:39 PM

well, my plugged at2k works fine with 10 pumps in the cold, but it looses like 20 feet. and same with my unplugged, or my plugged bbbb. they all just loose about 10-20 feet
This is a signature. Cool aint it.

#7 Arconious

Arconious

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:41 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the problem with springer in the cold isn't the loss in range. Its the fact the plastic is brittle in the cold. With the force the springs exert on the gun, it'll be easy to break the gun.

Edited by Arconious, 15 January 2009 - 08:42 PM.

#8 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

well, my plugged at2k works fine with 10 pumps in the cold, but it looses like 20 feet. and same with my unplugged, or my plugged bbbb. they all just loose about 10-20 feet

I used to pump my at2k up that much, it killed the check valve. Seriously, no need to pump that much.
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#9 sonnysonny

sonnysonny

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:46 PM

well im not sure if its just that i got a weird one, but it doesn't get hard to pump till' about 10. no i didn't half plug or anything, i filled the entire frigging hole with hot glue :P
This is a signature. Cool aint it.

#10 UpperHand

UpperHand

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:34 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the problem with springer in the cold isn't the loss in range. Its the fact the plastic is brittle in the cold. With the force the springs exert on the gun, it'll be easy to break the gun.

I think this is right. Also something to add; stefans break quite easily in cold weather, regardless of the gun, air or spring (so long as it's powerful enough).
My SCR-6
My Homemade Sidearm
The least you could do is tell me some advice. geese!

-- Headshot 21

#11 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:01 PM

I better get my waders, because the bullshit is getting deep in this thread.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#12 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/LukeKoboJobo on Reddit

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

well im not sure if its just that i got a weird one, but it doesn't get hard to pump till' about 10. no i didn't half plug or anything, i filled the entire frigging hole with hot glue :(

He said check valve, not over pressure valve. Read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users