Ls/recon Question

faux barrels

12 replies to this topic

#1 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:53 PM

I was wondering how the faux barrel's on the ls/recon actually reduce range. I get that if the dart bounces off the inside it would kill it, but otherwise how?
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#2 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:12 PM

You have the answer right there, but aswell... the air can go around the dart aswell, reducing range. This is the reason BPSO86 put in the smaller diameter barrel inside of the faux barrel.
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#3 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:44 AM

Rokor, that might be true, but I tried putting PETG in my Recon faux barrel and it actually decreased my ranges. Unless you stick the tighter barrel material all the way into the plunger tube, your going to have a horrible seal.
Consequently, with extra springs in the stock of my recon, the faux barrel actually makes the dart go straighter.
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#4 delta99

delta99

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

ya ya most of what you say is true but what i do i leave all old barrels! Yes I know then i go in and seal all leaks and take out all air restrictors. Then with a few more springs its pretty good. If you do still want a new barrel i cant help you...contact a guy named ninjamods for help on barrels
if you dont like my quote i dont like you

#5 minsc

minsc

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:16 PM

ya ya most of what you say is true but what i do i leave all old barrels! Yes I know then i go in and seal all leaks and take out all air restrictors. Then with a few more springs its pretty good. If you do still want a new barrel i cant help you...contact a guy named ninjamods for help on barrels

Delta99 please capitalize your I's.

I too would like to know the answer to this, because I don't own any gun that has a faux barrel, like a LS, Recon, or Vulcan. What Rokor said doesn't make sense to me because if you just remove it, the air will still go around the dart while in the air. Maybe the dart hitting the barrel and slowing down is the only factor.
QUOTE(Zorn's Lemma @ Jul 25 2010, 12:18 AM) View Post

You'll do a lot better if you spread the lips with the front. Trying to wriggle the back in there first seems a bit counterintuitive.

RSCBow

#6 MoonMaster

MoonMaster

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:46 PM

Nope. There is also more air resistance forcing the dart through a tube than through open air. Turbulent forces and such.

5. Protip: sarcasm is good for making someone else look like more of an idiot than they already do. However, if you are an idiot to start with, using sarcasm just makes you look like a COLOSSAL idiot.

#7 TheBolt

TheBolt

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

The LS and recons are springers. Springers tend to be weaker than pump blasters because pump blasters have more air volume. If you placed a barrel with a good seal through the whole length of the faux barrel, there is not enough force or volume to well over come the friction caused by the barrel and the dart rubbing together. So instead of benefiting from a longer barrel by using all of the air, you lose a lot of energy in the barrel.

When using the stock barrel the dart has to travel farther before leaving the gun. During this journey the dart, as already stated, bounces around losing energy. The next part is just a theory, but when the dart moves in the barrel it pushes air out of it's way and around the head. The air the moves back, hits the inside of the barrel, then hits the dart around the middle. The air moving against the dart causes the dart to loses energy because the unbalanced forces caused by air hitting the ridges on the inside of the barrel are pushing it. The pushing of the dart causes a slight change in direction so the dart wastes energy on a different direction other than straight forward.

#8 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:38 AM

That is a gross simplification, but it is a reasonably appropriate way to mentally picture what happens in boundary layer airflow.

Here are a couple of references for anyone seriously interested in the physics of why the dart does not actually have to touch the faux barrel to be adversely affected by it:

http://www.grc.nasa....e/boundlay.html

http://en.wikipedia..../Boundary_layer

You and your science. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the rebel's hidden fortres!

......what were we talking about?

#9 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:58 AM

That is a gross simplification, but it is a reasonably appropriate way to mentally picture what happens in boundary layer airflow.

You and your science. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the rebel's hidden fortres!

That hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good Nerf blaster at your side, kid.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#10 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

That hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good Nerf blaster at your side, kid.

*picks up purple lightsaber*
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#11 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:41 PM

*picks up purple lightsaber*

General Pineapple, you served my father during the foam wars...

Seriously, you guys are awesome.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#12 canadiannerf

canadiannerf

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

the reason why these faux barrels decrease ranges is because as the dart races throw the air inside the barrel the dart pushes the air back into the walls of the barrel wich rebound those walls and hits the dart wich slows down the dart. So if you shoot your gun when it has a shorter faux barrel the less air will hit the dart thus giving you less resistance thus giving you better ranges

Edited by canadiannerf, 15 January 2009 - 04:16 PM.

Plus, the regular cocking slide (Can't sig me now bitches! ) is much faster.

Muker

92% of teens would cry if Miley Cyrus was about to jump off a building.
If you are part of the 8% who would say "Jump B****, JUMP!!!!" . . .
Copy and paste this in your signature.

#13 Heat Signature

Heat Signature

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:04 PM

Actually, it's quite simple. The reason that the fake barrels slow the darts down is that the darts don't have a tight enough seal to the walls of the barrel. The air flows around the dart, and actually slows it down by getting in the way and disrupting proper airflow.
"I'VE GOT A BONE IN MY LEG!!!!!"-My great grandpa.

My Friend's blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users