it wont stay where I want it

7 replies to this topic

#1 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:54 PM

I'm using epoxy putty to reinforce the catch and cocking rod (I guess that's what you'd call it) on a PAS and it's giving me some troubles. It stays perfectly fine on the trigger, no problems there, been sanded, tested and works fine. The problem is the cocking rod, it just wont stay put. I've cut the appropriate notches in the plunger tube/brown cap thing and it fits fine. Whenever I shoot it more than a few times it stops staying cocked and when I open it up the putty is broken, again. It doesn't shatter or crack, it just pops off where it was before and I have no idea why. I think I've covered all questions that could be asked, so if you know why this is happening please help me out.

trans as shit because fuck you

#2 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:04 PM

Try sanding the surface a bit, then, with damp hands, apply the putty. I've found that it is less brittle when you use damp hands and is easier to work with.

#3 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

Try sanding the surface a bit, then, with damp hands, apply the putty. I've found that it is less brittle when you use damp hands and is easier to work with.

I did sand the area, but I've never heard of the damp hands, I'll probably give it a try.

#4 Skitzo

Skitzo

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

How long did you let it dry?
You might not be putting enough on.
I just did this last week, and I put enough putty on so that alot had to be sanded off, assuring that there is the most amount of putty contacting the trigger as possible.
A picture would help.
Did you wash the plastic, it most likely has some kind of residue on it even after sanding, I just used normal hand soap.

Skitzo-

Edited by Skitzo, 14 January 2009 - 09:10 PM.

If soldiers were to begin to think, not one of them would remain in the army.- Frederick The Great

#5 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:10 PM

It is because of the nature of the plunger rod. Since the epoxy gets so stiff, the slightest flex will cause the epoxy to break away from the plastic.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#6 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:10 PM

How long did you let it dry?
You might not be putting enough on.
I just did this last week, and I put enough putty on so that a lot had to be sanded off, assuring that there is the most amount of putty contacting the trigger as possible.
A picture would help.

Skitzo-

Let it dry for 24 hours, and it's not the trigger, it's the cocking bar. I can try to get a picture sometime soon.

EDIT: slowguitarman: If the putty comes away so easily, why is it recommended?

Edited by CaliforniaPants, 14 January 2009 - 09:12 PM.

#7 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:26 PM

I had the same problem. I took the piece that came off, and liquid epoxied it back on. This was 4 months ago, the PAS has seen a war since, no problems whatsoever. I would try that to see, if the wet hands idea doesn't work. Oh and let it sit 24hours before trying to cock the PAS.
EDIT: sorry ,didn't see that you did leave it for 24h.

Edited by mystefansdontflystraight, 14 January 2009 - 09:26 PM.

QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#8 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:17 PM

make a ring of putty, linked by small pieces of the stuff. It won't break, it hasn't in my cousin's PAS yet.
American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users