Photo

The How-to Of Nerf Wars (and Some Game Ideas)

Also details on a SW FL War

21 replies to this topic

#1 Norflark

Norflark

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:35 AM

Okay, so first off, who the hell am I and why should you listen(read)?
Basically, Im a new member to Nerf Haven, just joined, not really sure about this nerf haven stuff BUT almost a year and a half ago I started Nerf Wars. At the time we had about 16 people and we had battles around the outside areas of our school. Over time we have grown, and we've had wars in plenty of places from parks to giant back yards that we spent about an hour dragging everything from boats to grills to washing machines out into to use as cover, but most of them do occur at our school. Like i was saying, we've grown, we now have 25-35 people coming to each one, and usually have at least a war a month (in our december war, we had about 34 people attend, while in an early January war we only had 26). So yeah, basically i have no idea how much im going to type but some things im going to cover (i'll list them now so you can decide now if youd like to continue reading or not) are how our Nerf Wars club started/works and how we've grown, types of games n ideas to make wars more interesting that we do, and I guess finally some quick details about the next war if you're interested (these will be in that order so if only one interests you, skip to that paragraph now).

How does our Nerf Wars operate that we've grown so successful?
Alright, so when we REALLY started was just me and about 3-4 of my friends shooting each other and having little matches in my house, and eventually outside. I found out that i could get "creativity" hours (for my IB classes we need certain sets of hours, and planning crap, really anything, can count as creativity) for planning a Nerf War. So I had about 200 darts or so, a couple guns, and a couple friends, and we needed chiefly, more people and more darts. So what i decided that we would do, and still do now, is this: The "Nerf Wars" group will provide everyone with a water and all of the darts we will be using, if you do not have a gun and would like to come, we can lend you a nightfinder or something. To afford this, we (i just realized ive been saying "we" a lot, when until more recently, it was more just "me," but whatever) decided to charge people to attend. For a mere $3 they could get a water, and the enjoyment of a nerf war without the worry that they might lose any of their darts. So we bought darts, (i feel that i should note here that we dont really use any fancy or custom darts, just the taggers, the loser darts(streamlines), and more recently (with vulcans being introduced) the whistlers (whatever vulcans come with), but we only buy the taggers and streamlines, if people bring vulcans and lose darts, i just let them take taggers to replace what theyve lost cuz they work the same) and we bought water (you can get 24 for $4 and sometimes $3 if its on sale) and we went out to the back of our school where we had the bleachers, a couple concession stands, and the concrete posts descending from the back of the bleachers, and these huge dirt mounds underneath the back of the bleachers too(but those are no longer there), and we just sort of winged it. We did a couple death match rounds of one team vs the other (picked teams b4 hand obviously), and a couple ctf rounds using the vests we had as flags(for how our battles specifically work, see next paragraph), and it took a couple hours. Afterwards we had to find darts, so i just offered a prize of $10 to the person who could find the most darts at the end, and as people compete and several people bring you a bunch, you get your darts found and its well worth the $10 because thats about 100-200 darts you dont have to rebuy. You also obviously find more if you have everyone searching.
Alright, and then I was done, I had my hours, I had a fun Nerf War, etc. But then apparently EVERYONE had fun at the Nerf War and demanded future wars. And well, I made it happen, we did the same process with the $3 so we would basically build up a stockpile of darts, and had another war with 16 people, and another war with 18 or so (Damn im typing a lot (just realized it (sorry if youre reading it all but i hope its helpful))). Simply put, at this point we needed more people, so I did this thing where if you brought somebody new to nerf wars you would get $1 back for yourself, and yes, technically if they brought like 10 people they could come in for free and get $7 profit but would nerf wars care cuz we would get $30 from the people (and nobodys ever done that). Either way it helped and over time we got a couple more people here and there, and as we got bored made some new games and chaged some of them around a little bit (see below) and now we have like 30 people.
This year when school started I wrote up a Club Constitution and we got a teacher sponsor so that we could become an official school club. This definitely helps with a meeting place to determine the next war's location and date, suggest new ideas, etc. This also makes it easier to get approval for playing outside the school so we dont get yelled at or whatever. Now we are making club shirts and have a pretty good dart stockpile and everything. As we began to have more and more darts we started to offer a 2nd place $5 award for finding them too. If you have some money and plenty of darts you can also decrease the price slightly. Also give at least one week of school to collect the money and (what we do) make it so that the price is $3 starting the day before and the day of, but only $2 if you before that. This makes sure that people will pay earlier and thusly be more likely to come since they made the investment beforehand.
Also, what I think is a big of part of why we've grown is how casual we are about it, I handle the meetings loosely and just approach everyone with a laidback tone at the wars themselves. Nobody really takes it THAT seriously. I mean i look at some of you guys and all these crazy mods and everything but nobody at any of ours has ever modded a gun, i mean i tried and failed like twice but just gave up and didnt even bother trying again (although i might sometime in the future). One time though one kid had a paintball gun that could screw a pvc on the end and he was using it as a loser rifle. He could shoot clear across the football field and then some with the gun held flat with no problems and perfect accuracy. We ended up having to make him stop though because people complained that, lets face it, it hurt. He ended up unscrewing the pvc and using it as a blowdart, and it shoots just as good as a maverick (and can shoot multiple darts as a a makeshift shotgun thing). Either way, we are just looking for people to have fun, and the first time people come, they dont even need a gun. As i said, we lend them some of ours, and almost always, they have a good time and go buy a gun of their own for the next time.

What types of games'n'crap do we do?
Alright so we of course have the regular deathmatches and ctfs. In case there are variations I'll explain our ctf, we also do VIP, and are gonna try a conversion type game next war. We also have so odd things we do that make the regular games more interesting and fun.
For the ctfs we set out the vests that come with the tegger sets as flags, and set respawn points a little ways behind each flag, you cant grab the other team's flag if yours is not in place, and when you got shot carrying a flag you must just drop it right there and someone else can pick it up. You win by having a member of your team, while holding the opposing team's flag, touch your respawn point.
As for VIP, what this is is where we pick leaders, (could be 2 teams or whatever, but we usually to 3 or 4 because it's more fun) and each leader picks a respawn point for his team. If the VIP of a team is shot, that team gets no more respawns but each person still has their last life and CAN win but must play conservatively (or not, depending on your mood, you could just rush the VIP that killed you for revenge and die). Either way, last team standing with nobody else on any other teams left wins.
Now for interesting random crap that we do. I first want to say, swords. We've been doing this from the beginning, if you have a plastic or foam knife or sword, you can use it to kill people also to conserve ammo (also helps in rushing). I also think it's funny that today i saw in target that nerf actually came out with Nerf brand swords for people to use, but they are like 13 or 14 dollars, i dont remember exactly, so i wouldnt get them. We also allow people to block darts with their guns, and deflect them off of things, as long as its not the ground. Yes this does mean that if you combine these two rules you CAN in fact use your gun to bat people's own darts back at them. More recently, as in the past 2 or 3 wars, we started this thing that works really well and i would at least suggest giving it a try. What you do is say that you can be revived. Sort of borrowing from the principles or Army of Two or Gears, when you get shot once, you must sit down and can continue shooting, and a teammate can come over and pull you up to "revive" you, but if you are shot a second time while sitting you are completely out and must go respawn. You also have to go respawn if you just get shot twice even before you sit down. The rule that you actually have to sit down is there so that two people cant just cling to each other so they cant die like some sort of autorevive crap.

Wow Jack, that crap sounds really fun, but I'm too lazy to make my own Nerf Wars club, can I just come to your next war?
Sure! There is no age limit and we've had people from ages 7-22 at our wars (little kids make good ninjas), it is January 24th at Noon. Each war lasts until we get tired, but usually ends somewhere around 3 or 4. The next one will be at Cape Coral High School, in SW Florida, and we will be meeting by the bleachers, its $3 to come.

You can read all the info and if you would like see some pictures of past wars (we have a lot of pictures, but havent taken pictures at all of them), you can do so at the Nerf Wars myspace, myspace.com/capenerfwars. If you want, you can also check out our commercial for our school news if you click on videos from the myspace.

And yeah, thats about it, damn i typed a lot, hopefully you got something out of it, tell me what you think?

#2 Norflark

Norflark

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:44 AM

Okay, i was rereading it and for some reason every time i meant to say "loser" i said "loser" and i have no idea why. I guess i subconsciously hate losers or something. lol

#3 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:46 AM

Was that an intro thread? But that's a nice way of running a war. Pay to play. My school would never go for something like that. At my Junior High, anything that can propel a projectile is bad. And you get suspended. You don't know about the filter? It changes Sn;per to "Loser".
Examples
eat shit (Sn;pe)
loser (Sn;per)
losing (sn;ping)
There is NO nerf Sn1ping. Ever.

(Off Topic- I can type without looking at the keyboard now!!)

EDIT- NO DOUBLE POST!

Edited by Echnalaid, 14 January 2009 - 12:54 AM.

There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#4 Norflark

Norflark

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:50 AM

Was that an intro thread? But that's a nice way of running a war. Pay to play. My school would never go for something like that. At my Junior High, anything that can propel a projectile is bad. And you get suspended. You don't know about the filter? It changes Sn;per to "Loser".
Examples
eat shit (Sn;pe)
loser (Sn;per)
There is NO nerf Sn1ping. Ever.

(Off Topic- I can type without looking at the keyboard now!!)

EDIT- NO DOUBLE POST!

I have no idea, intro thread, no intro thread, whatever, and we do it on saturdays so nobody else is there, football is more violent, and if you act like its legitimate, people believe you and will go along with it, even administrators.
lol, interesting filter i guess, and there is no nerf sn;ping but trust me, if you incorporate paintball guns and nerf darts, there is nerf sn;ping.

#5 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:54 AM

Converted paintball guns are stupidly dangerous. Also, the long-range standoffs they would create would just suck the fun right out of everything. Congratulations on your initiative; it's always nice to see new members whose primary interest is in shooting their friends, rather than showing off their super sweet all-black Longshot.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#6 Norflark

Norflark

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:58 AM

Converted paintball guns are stupidly dangerous. Also, the long-range standoffs they would create would just suck the fun right out of everything. Congratulations on your initiative; it's always nice to see new members whose primary interest is in shooting their friends, rather than showing off their super sweet all-black Longshot.

Very true, but only one on each team would make it interesting, and thank you, shooting my friends in the face makes it all worth-while.
And every now and then, you get it, the oh so sweet eyeball shot with a tagger, and you as the shooter feel oh so good because it even appears as if you really got a headshot when they yell out in pain.
lol (Ive gotten 2 personally and had one on me.)

#7 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:04 AM

No. No dangerous guns, ever, period. It only takes one accident to ruin the whole delicate construct that is a nerf organization's relationship with the public. And eye protection is a must, especially if you're playing with modded weaponry.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#8 Norflark

Norflark

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:16 AM

No. No dangerous guns, ever, period. It only takes one accident to ruin the whole delicate construct that is a nerf organization's relationship with the public. And eye protection is a must, especially if you're playing with modded weaponry.

But we DID ban his paintball gun and nobody has modded weapons so getting shot in the eye only makes it hurt for like 5 minutes even at close range and then your fine, besides its only happened a couple times in the totality of Nerf Wars

#9 Avatar of WoeBrian

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • State:California

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:12 AM

Eye Protection is a must with modded nerf guns. This one time my friend and I tried to sneak in on one of my friends (we only had unmodded nitefinders). When we busted into his room, he had armed himself with his modded Longshot, and all I saw was a barrel in my right eye before my vision went blurry in my right eye (and lots of pain too). Yeah... I had internal bleeding on my retina and was out of school for three to five days to let it heal. We normally use unmodded weapons when we play, but my friend overreacted when we snuck into his house and shit just had to happen. :Eye Protection for modded weapons is a must:

#10 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:30 AM

It's good to see new nerfers interested in getting their friends together to nerf first and foremost. The florida nerf scene seems a little light recently, but maybe you can change that up and organize some solid nerf wars.

As far as modded blasters go, don't worry about it too much. Stock is a good way to start off, and if your group has interest in nerfing in some larger areas slowly introducing modded weapons isn't too big of a deal. I would advise against giving one or two people high powered weapons to "even" things out (as you suggested with the paintball guns). This will generally discourage the other nerfers from being aggressive and can really alter the pace and fun factor of your wars going forward. Try to keep everyone on the same page. If you have any questions feel free to ask, but be wary of people who know less than yourself dishing out advice. The more tenured members will try to steer you in the right direction.

VACC

#11 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:25 AM

I live in central Florida near Orlando, I might be interested in coming to some of these wars, could they occur any closer to Orlando?

#12 Shadowblade

Shadowblade

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

Sweet, another southern nerfer!

I'm with rork about the paintball gun and eye protection, just for safety reasons (although shooting other things with it....). At the last SENO, we were already wary about a converted watergun let alone a converted marker. Good to see a new member with enough common sense to ban the marker and kudos on getting the nerf scene active in your area.

I'm glad to see the SouthEast becoming more and more active in nerf. I'm Shadowblade, the co-host of SENO in Augusta, GA, along with Zaxbys. I hope there will be some great Southern war where all of the SE nerfing groups will be able to come together and rain foamy death upon each other (foreshadowing?). Keep up the good work and nerf on! Oh, and welcome to the Haven. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Shadowblade
Proverbs says, "The wise man doth not shoot the Viking in the ding ding for he shall pummel thee."

But you can totally shoot Vacc there, he loves it!

~Talio

#13 Norflark

Norflark

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:29 PM

Eye Protection is a must with modded nerf guns. This one time my friend and I tried to sneak in on one of my friends (we only had unmodded nitefinders). When we busted into his room, he had armed himself with his modded Longshot, and all I saw was a barrel in my right eye before my vision went blurry in my right eye (and lots of pain too). Yeah... I had internal bleeding on my retina and was out of school for three to five days to let it heal. We normally use unmodded weapons when we play, but my friend overreacted when we snuck into his house and shit just had to happen. :Eye Protection for modded weapons is a must:

True true, but like i said, nobody there has modded weapons, so we're good.

#14 Norflark

Norflark

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:38 PM

I live in central Florida near Orlando, I might be interested in coming to some of these wars, could they occur any closer to Orlando?

Unfortunately no, not at this point. All of the people that do go live in my area and/or go to that school, moving it very far at all would lose most of the crowd i've built up.
HOWEVER, as i go to college next year, i'm passing this club on so that it will continue here, and i will probably start another one wherever i go to college. Because of bright futures most of the seniors in my club will be staying in florida going to various colleges. Im hoping to start them in several florida colleges and i know several of our main people are planning to go UCF (Im sure that they will be open to anyone who wants to come and not just those attending the college).

and HOPEFULLY if we get it going in two or three colleges, we could have like championship battles that are one college vs the other once a year, idk.

So yeah, maybe in the future?

#15 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:40 PM

^All I can say is, it's an exciting time to be a nerfer...

#16 Norflark

Norflark

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:48 PM

Sweet, another southern nerfer!

I'm with rork about the paintball gun and eye protection, just for safety reasons (although shooting other things with it....). At the last SENO, we were already wary about a converted watergun let alone a converted marker. Good to see a new member with enough common sense to ban the marker and kudos on getting the nerf scene active in your area.

I'm glad to see the SouthEast becoming more and more active in nerf. I'm Shadowblade, the co-host of SENO in Augusta, GA, along with Zaxbys. I hope there will be some great Southern war where all of the SE nerfing groups will be able to come together and rain foamy death upon each other (foreshadowing?). Keep up the good work and nerf on! Oh, and welcome to the Haven. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Shadowblade

Thanks,

Nice to meetcha,

Perhaps, but most of our people are lazy and unwilling. MAybe if i drove somewhere i could convince a couple people to go, but definitely not 20. How many people go to these SENO's? and how motivated towards traveling are they?

and Thanks(again).

#17 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:53 PM

Thanks,

Nice to meetcha,

Perhaps, but most of our people are lazy and unwilling. MAybe if i drove somewhere i could convince a couple people to go, but definitely not 20. How many people go to these SENO's? and how motivated towards traveling are they?

and Thanks(again).

Hi, I would say that even if you come up by yourself, it is totally worth it!

Veggy and I come up twice a year from Savannah (about a 3-hour drive) and have a blast!
For attendance, I would say that it is greater in the summer when more people are eager to travel and I believe the farthest an attendee has traveled is from Virginia..

Glad to see more southern nerfers!
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#18 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:21 PM

Hey what month is the next SENO comin' up? (I know summer). Always good to see the the SE has another nerfer. I hope I'll start something like that in high school.
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#19 nerfkid22310

nerfkid22310

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • State:Illinois

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

I am new to NerfHaven, and I want to make a nerf club at my high school. I just don't know what to say without embarrassing myself. What should I do? All the ideas you guys have said are great, but I still don't know what to do. What should I do?

#20 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:30 AM

I am new to NerfHaven, and I want to make a nerf club at my high school. I just don't know what to say without embarrassing myself. What should I do? All the ideas you guys have said are great, but I still don't know what to do. What should I do?

I'll tell you what you should do...you should avoid necroing three year old threads. Please read the Code of Conduct.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#21 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,073 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

While this is not the right place to ask it, the question has merit. Nerferkid, you should go ahead and re-post this as a standalone thread in the general nerf forum.

I'll tell you what you should do...you should avoid necroing three year old threads. Please read the Code of Conduct.

Dammit Carbon, you gotta moderate with MORE HATE!
LET THE HATE FLOW THROUGH YOU!

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 24 August 2012 - 11:18 AM.

#22 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

You're not groove, do not post image macros. No exceptions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users