Photo

Solenoids

9 replies to this topic

#1 SnIpErX125

SnIpErX125

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 09:16 PM

When you guys make your homemades, do any of you use solenoids? If so, what kind do you need. I'm guessing that you need something like this but I'm not sure...So give me some help here.
CAUTION: These plastic BBS sting like a mother when you get hit by them, so don't go shooting at the cat with it.

www.geocities.com/darkmessenger125/NerfRetreat.html

#2 undeadtom

undeadtom

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 09:18 PM

your link doesn't work for me. can you post the exact url of the image?
I'm too sexy for my body,
Too sexy for my shirt,
So sexy that it hurts,
Too sex-y for a can of beans. YEAH!

#3 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 09:20 PM

You need a selenoid sprinkler valve, hook it up to a few 9V, depending on the specific valve, a momentary switch, the tank, and the barrel.

THIRST
ko

#4 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 12:34 AM

Your best bet is a Rain Bird or Orbit inline solenoid sprinkler valve with no flow control. As mentioned, you must run it with 3 9-volt batteries in series with a switch of some kind.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#5 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 12:42 AM

Visit Radioshack for all of your electronic needs. They have 9V battery trays for easy handling, and they have switches and momentary switches and everything else you need to wire up a series circuit for your selenoid valve.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#6 SnIpErX125

SnIpErX125

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 01:22 AM

Oh....so basically it's just like a red and white ball valve that opens ridiculously fast allowing air to enter quickly propelling the dart that is located in the barrel magnificient distances... Oh thanks for clearing this up for me.

Oh yeah and on another note:

For just the regular home made gun, you know the one where it loops and shit, how do you guys get great distances with that ballvalve? I can barely turn it fast enough to get 10 feet. Do you guys lubricate it or what?
CAUTION: These plastic BBS sting like a mother when you get hit by them, so don't go shooting at the cat with it.

#7 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 10:37 AM

Oh....so basically it's just like a red and white ball valve that opens ridiculously fast allowing air to enter quickly propelling the dart that is located in the barrel magnificient distances... Oh thanks for clearing this up for me.

I'm sorry to say, but you never asked us that directly. Try not being bitchy about it next time, and ask. It gets you so much farther.

A selenoid valve is a valve that is electronically operated. Think of a sprinkler on your lawn that does that clicking thing as it spins. That is what we are talking about using. You just make it 'squirt' air instead of water. You would remove the sprinkler parts, and leave yourself with an odd looking shape, but it will work if you leave the electonics in. You should be able to see what is needed and what can be discarded. It works with a momentary switch which is a little button. When pressed the electric current opens the valve very quickly, and cleanly, allowing all of your air out at the same time, giving your dart a great burst of air. It looks nothing like the ball valve.

As for homemades using ball valves, I made two. I worked in my ballvalve, and I can pull it very quickly. I get at least 100' with it, using the ballvalve. I don't need to lubricate it or anything like that, but I don't know if it would help much.

Good luck with your homemade if you are making one...
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#8 SnIpErX125

SnIpErX125

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 07:30 PM

I wasn't being bitchy, I just wanted to sound knowledgable. :D :lol: :P

Ok yeah and what about the tubeless tire valve? I can't seem to drill a hole through the damn PVC cap.

#9 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 01:27 AM

Put it in a clamp and use an electric drill or some other rotary tool, possibly a dremel. Or, do as the Cadmond does and drill it with your bare hands! :rolleyes:
"The 'dance goes on..."

#10 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 03:26 PM

make sure when u drill, you drill with a small bit, then with a big bit. It's hard to make a big hole right off the bat.
Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users