Photo

The Frankenfucker

Frankenfucker v3.3 (newest iteration) on page three.

41 replies to this topic

#1 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:52 PM

Taking lessons from both my Frankenfinder and the WTF series (see signature for links), I set out to devise an air-powered equivalent of the Frankenfinder. The best part of the Frankenfinder was the rate of fire; it was easy to fire off the four shots very quickly, with each one hitting an accurate sixty and an iffy eighty if I was really reaching (probably better, if I bothered to bungee it for ranges), and quick turret reloading. The WTF series should have benefitted from a smaller size with more power, but the limitations of the BS trigger mechanism (variant one) and the SMDTG pump (variants two and three) prevented the system from reaching its full potential. When the check valve on the SMDTG pump finally got cooked, I broke down and started working on a new gun.

We had a spare Nite Finder shell sitting around, but unfortunately it was missing its trigger since my room mate made a Nitemav; to create a trigger system, I decided to cut off the handle and replace it with the LSFG handle and trigger mechanism I had been using before. But, to get that to fit properly, I had to cut out a bunch more of the case, and then, to get the AT3K pump and BS/2K setup in, I was left with about ten percent of the original NF's plastic. It was really flimsy, covered in goop and epoxy putty, and very difficult to pump. It got scrapped, and I worked on the other idea I had.

Here we go: Frankenfucker version one point oh.

Posted Image

Longshot front gun handle, original SM750 pump (plugged, of course), Hornet blast trigger, chunk of SMDTG system, AT2K turret, Big Salvo tank, and Hornet tank. Fun times.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Setting everything up in the gun was surprisingly easy; the SM750 pump does not take up much more space than the one from the SMDTG, but it puts out much more air while being much easier to pump. I only had to dremel out a little more of the case to get a snug fit. I glued a bit of the 1/8" ID tubing from McMaster in place and threaded it through the hole I drilled for tubing previously. The pump tube went to a vinyl tee, which split towards the Hornet blast trigger and the two airtanks. The Hornet blast chamber is couplered in a really strange way: a 1/2" PVC coupler into 1/2" PVC, which has been shaved out just enough to allow for six inches of CPVC to be jammed all the way to the blast chamber. It's a really snug, almost completely snug fit. The BS-to-2K system is pretty simple to see; a little shaving allowed for PETG to be jammed in front of the BS tank and links it to a dremeled-out, CPVC'd (five inches) AT2K turret.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I find it a really good looking gun; there's something really beautiful about the arching tubing and the general setup I used. It looks a little unfastened but the goop has been curing for a while and it's pretty solid; version two point oh (Recon shelled) should fix the perceived unstableness.

Posted Image

Here's a quick look at the trigger setup; it's identical to the previous version except I've added another blast chamber. I unfortunately couldn't jury-rig a conceivable multi-shot system while maintaining the compact, easy to use nature of this gun, so the Hornet blast and BS shot fire at the same time. However, as I'll be using this gun as an admittedly bulky sidearm, I'm not too concerned with firing those shots separately, as it's easy to pump and the turret is wonderful.

Before posting this writeup, I managed to only get off a few range testing shots due to a sudden decompression of the BS chamber and subsequent leaking, but as I was writing this up, I realized a small plastic shard probably kept the stopper from closing all the way, and by hacking off the PETG I was able to clear it out. The problem (and nature of the subsequent fix) prevented me from getting off as large a sample as I had hoped, but here are the ranges on the fifteen or so shots I managed to get off, with CS-style darts and fifteen pumps:

Hornet tank: Average of 84 feet.
Big Salvo tank: Average of 97 feet.

I fucking love this thing. It's really fun to use and really easy to reload, prime, and aim. As it stands right now, I have about nine more weeks until I get access to my Recon shell and begin part two, but this gun is wholly adequate for the time being. However, my absolute favorite thing about this gun is the fucking kick. I've never used an airgun that's kicked before.

Edited by Ice Nine, 14 March 2009 - 07:51 PM.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#2 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:12 PM

I'd like to see a video of you shooting these things.

#3 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:21 PM

Not bad. I'm not a fan of the weight being so far forward with nothing to hold onto to steady the aim, but it's not a bad blaster. Keep fiddling with stuff and you're bound to come up with something genius.

#4 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:54 PM

Do you know anywhere else (other than Mcmaster) where you could find those Vinyl T's?

#5 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:45 PM

Do you know anywhere else (other than Mcmaster) where you could find those Vinyl T's?

I bought mine at AutoZone

Probably dead by now, or something.

#6 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:47 PM

Well, it's by no means the prettiest thing I've ever seen, but you definitely win the "coolest integration name" award in my book. And it's definitely...unique.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#7 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

That thing's so ugly it's kind of striking. Nice use of random parts.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#8 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:31 AM

I'd like to see a video of you shooting these things.

In good time. A lack of darts and a temperamental (but soon to be fixed) BS tank make it sort of difficult.

Not bad. I'm not a fan of the weight being so far forward with nothing to hold onto to steady the aim, but it's not a bad blaster. Keep fiddling with stuff and you're bound to come up with something genius.

Thank you. I've been brainstorming the next iteration, which, as stated, will use the Recon case to hopefully distribute the weight of the gun more evenly.

Ace stocks them sporadically but I've seen them at a few locations.

Well, it's by no means the prettiest thing I've ever seen, but you definitely win the "coolest integration name" award in my book. And it's definitely...unique.

-Groove

Heh, thanks. "Frankenfucker" just had a nice ring to it.

That thing's so ugly it's kind of striking. Nice use of random parts.

Also thanks. Random parts is my speciality.

Rnbw Cln

#9 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:06 AM

You are really creative in your work. See how you well you use the turret when you are firing it would be nice, as in a video. Nice work.
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#10 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:03 AM

Nice. Fugly in a beautiful way. Seems like something more along the lines of an outdoor primary than a sidearm.

How is your BS tank attached to the handle? Form the looks of it, it seems like the two corners are glued together without any reinforcement.

#11 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:00 AM

The more I look at it, the more I like it. It kind of reminds me of the book, at first it seems ugly and mean but the more you get to know it the more it seems to have feelings...
Okay, but less cheesy. After all, it is called The Frankenfucker.

Well done. The trigger system is... well.... To say the least, you've developed your own style.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#12 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:57 AM

That thing looks like it'll fall apart at your first drop or stumble. I wouldn't depend on goop as the bonding agent between the components.

But it is unique and creative. I like that.

Waiting to see v.2.0.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#13 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:31 PM

Nice. Fugly in a beautiful way. Seems like something more along the lines of an outdoor primary than a sidearm.

How is your BS tank attached to the handle? Form the looks of it, it seems like the two corners are glued together without any reinforcement.

I used a bit of hot glue to get a base adhesive, then I used goop around the points of contact. With the revisionary nature of my modifications I decided it would be best to keep only adhered a bit so I can change it on the fly. Before a war I would probably use some larger PVC pieces to cover everything and keep it protected.

That thing looks like it'll fall apart at your first drop or stumble. I wouldn't depend on goop as the bonding agent between the components.

But it is unique and creative. I like that.

Waiting to see v.2.0.

-Piney-

Yeah, it's probably not the most protected sidearm. But here's a sneak peak for what's in store for this afternoon:

Posted Image

I managed to convince my roomie to give up his Recon shell (I'm giving him my stock one after break) so I could work on it today. I still need to go to ACE and pick up some parts (for this and other projects) but I have nearly everything I need and plans for the layout. An afternoon of dremel and glue work should finish it up.

In case you're wondering, here's the contents of the picture: two 2K turrets (one barreled), one AT2K tank, one BS tank, two Hornet tanks, a Recon shell, and an AT2K pump (unplugged as of now, but that'll be fixed soon). Enjoy the speculation; it'll only be a few hours until you see the final project.

Rnbw Cln

#14 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:24 PM

I profusely apologize for the double-post, but after eight hours of work today I managed to nearly complete the Frankenfucker v2.0, which takes every issue with the first one and fixes it. The only issue at the end is the size; due to the nature of the blaster it's a decent amount larger than the original. Anyways, here it is:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The goop I used to make sure everything is airtight is drying at the moment so I don't have the opportunity to test fire it yet, but if previous experiences are any indicator it should be pretty excellent. I used a full AT2K pump, which sits where the Recon plunger tube would normally exist, which feeds air to four airtanks: a BS tank, two Hornet tanks, and an AT2K tank. The first three are connected to a Hornet blast valve, so those three fire at the same time, but the AT2K was special: I used wire and glue to adhere the pin to the Recon's cocking bar, so, to fire the AT2K, I just pull back on it. Here's a diagram I created of the internals:

Posted Image

This gun is super comfortable; the weight tends towards the front but it's not terrible by any means and everything is much more stable than it has been in the past iterations. I kept the case as clean and clear as possible, which actually turned out really nice; I dremeled very little outside of the interior and I kept everything inside as close as possible. Everything (except the Hornet tanks) are glued to exactly one side of the case, making the gun completely openable and fixable in case anything goes wrong. I got new foam today so expect ranges with fresh darts and hopefully a video by Sunday.

Rnbw Cln

#15 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:50 PM

Thats awesome.
I've always wanted to do something like this, a gun with multiple air tanks. I personally would've made it into the size of a rifle/primary. Cool mod thought!
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#16 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:22 AM

Thats awesome.
I've always wanted to do something like this, a gun with multiple air tanks. I personally would've made it into the size of a rifle/primary. Cool mod thought!

Thanks; the pictures might make the gun seem smaller than it actually is, it ends up being about the same size as a cocked Recon with the faux barrel attachment (or a littler shorter than that) when the pump is all the way pulled out.

I have class this morning and a lot of work to do but a quick pressurization test shows some real potential, even at not that many pumps. I also discovered that, if I created a holster for it, the pump is a perfect place to pump from the hip; the pump is also very easy to move.

Rnbw Cln

#17 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:17 AM

So, I'm a little curious, and critical of your trigger system. I don't see any way to fire the AT2K, and I'm guessing you're going to either connect it to the cocking rail or the regular trigger. The cocking rail would be uncomfortable to fire and make aiming slightly difficult. Connecting it to the original trigger will limit your freedom as to which tank could be fired first.

Which brings me to the other tanks. Using the hornet blast button fires all three tanks at once. That's a nice shotgun burst, but what about reload time? You're going to have to pump several times just to get your next shot ready, then you'll either waste the air in the hornet tanks, or have to spend more time loading those barrels also. The whole point of multiple tanks and barrels is to increase ROF. If all you want is a shotgun effect, just load multiple darts in one barrel.

So what do I recommend? A SMDTG trigger! Imagine having the luxury of firing only one of the tanks, or two, or all three. I'm not seeing a downside. It would also allow you to fire just the BS tank, pump, rotate the turret, and fire again.

You're really starting to come up with some interesting stuff; it just needs to be a bit more practical. Keep it up!

#18 TheNerfLoki

TheNerfLoki

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:50 PM

Posted Image

The big salvo looks like it is angled down.
Am I the only one who uses the sig function for a sig?
TNL,

#19 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:16 PM

So, I'm a little curious, and critical of your trigger system. I don't see any way to fire the AT2K, and I'm guessing you're going to either connect it to the cocking rail or the regular trigger. The cocking rail would be uncomfortable to fire and make aiming slightly difficult. Connecting it to the original trigger will limit your freedom as to which tank could be fired first.

Which brings me to the other tanks. Using the hornet blast button fires all three tanks at once. That's a nice shotgun burst, but what about reload time? You're going to have to pump several times just to get your next shot ready, then you'll either waste the air in the hornet tanks, or have to spend more time loading those barrels also. The whole point of multiple tanks and barrels is to increase ROF. If all you want is a shotgun effect, just load multiple darts in one barrel.

So what do I recommend? A SMDTG trigger! Imagine having the luxury of firing only one of the tanks, or two, or all three. I'm not seeing a downside. It would also allow you to fire just the BS tank, pump, rotate the turret, and fire again.

You're really starting to come up with some interesting stuff; it just needs to be a bit more practical. Keep it up!

I really appreciate your comments; your Arachnophobia series was a big influence on the stuff I've been doing lately. My Big Big Blast decided to fuck itself (simultaneous BBBB tank leak and check valve failure) so I harvested the SMDTG trigger for use here. I hooked up the BS tank and the two Hornets, but I felt that I was wasting a perfectly good Hornet blast trigger so I used a check valve and some SMDTG tanks to fix it. Here's version two point one:

Posted Image

There's still a few issues here and there; I need to finish revising the AT2K chamber (I'm going to link it to the Recon's trigger) and I need to clean up all the tubing since with the plethora of barrels its pretty all over the place. The goop on the Hornet trigger keeps popping so I'm going to let it sit for a long time before I try anything else. When finished, the SMDTG should be sitting on top of the Recon's cocking slide.

<v2.0 picture>

The big salvo looks like it is angled down.

No, I assure you it isn't.

Rnbw Cln

#20 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:34 AM

I'm excited for when you finish this, especially given the air output of Mk 1.

If only you'd have the patience to let goop fully cure before test firing, so you don't pop leaks everywhere :rolleyes:
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#21 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

Time to meet the Frankenfamily.

Posted Image

Here's v1.3 and v2.2. Version 1.3 is back to being a perfectly good sidearm, with two shots and no turrets. I completely fixed the leak in the BS tank which is really nice, and both guns shoot really well. Version 2.2 is nearly version 2.3, with only a few small revisions between the two. There's still one or two leaks in the tubing (somewhere, inside, probably around the 2K tank), the AT2K trigger is going to get linked to the Recon trigger, and I'm going to reorder the tubing because it seems there's some interesting links between firing X barrel and Y barrel going off (the 2K and BS, for instance). The few times I've fired it it's worked fantastically: Hornets hit seventy, Big Salvo hits eighty, AT2K hits sixty-five, and the SMDTGs hit fifty five. The BS turret has been angled downwards since my room mate accidentally knocked it off my desk, and that fix will be a part of v2.3.

And here's the 3.0:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Singled Longshot with two BS tanks and three SMDTG tanks. First order of business was gutting the internals of the Longshot; it hadn't broken or anything but I got tired with the clip system and iffy ranges of only a BBB spring. I heard good things about singled Longshots, and the shell was comfy, so I figured it would be a good starting point. I cut the bolt about half an inch from the part that sits inside the plunger tube and dremeled it out slightly so I could fit my sixteen inch CPVC barrel into it. After that was situated, I cut out the area around where the bolt tooth would be so I could fit a half-inch PVC tee (with cut down CPVC couplers inside) inside the gun and cock it with that. Since I had CPVC couplers inside I could slide it tightly over the CPVC barrel I inserted, and cock it via that mechanism. I gooped the CPVC into the cocking mechanism and let it cure for a long time, then used some foam to cushion the head to make the gun last longer. I then used an extra o-ring to improve the seal, lubed it up, put a MaxShot spring over the BBB spring, and added springs to a reinforced catch mechanism so it could take the extra force. Then, I cut off the bipod area and dremeled out part of the case so I could fit a RF20 pump on the case and feed it through to the magazine well. Since I only had two BS tanks left, I used the other SMDTG tank set on the side (rebarreled with five inches of CPVC) and hooked up the three tubes to the last firing port on the SMDTG trigger. The BS tanks are couplered and take either the ten inch 17/32" brass into SCH80 barrels or twelve inch PETG into SCH40 barrels.

Using streamlines, the singled Longshot hits one twenty five, with absolutely zero accuracy. Using a few tight-fitting CS-style stefans the gun hits one ten and is pretty accurate. The goop on the MS-SMDTG setup is still curing so those ranges should be up tomorrow.

<edit> Quick revision. I mismeasured ranges. CS-style darts hit about one hundred flat, with a few outliers (probably inconsistent pink foam) going above that. Figured I'd leave the previous message to be completely honest.

Edited by Ice Nine, 17 January 2009 - 08:10 PM.

Rnbw Cln

#22 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:02 PM

Now THAT is a Longshot I could see myself using. Almost enough to make me want to get one...
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#23 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

Now THAT is a Longshot I could see myself using. Almost enough to make me want to get one...

If you put a SNAPbow in one, I will fucking kill you! :D

Wow, Ice nine, I am impressed with all of your work with these air guns! I have to ask...where do you keep getting all of these tanks?
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#24 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:25 PM

If you put a SNAPbow in one, I will fucking kill you! :D

Now, that's just silly. Putting a SNAPbow in a LS shell would be like wrapping a shark in a bearskin. Ya don't mess with perfection... :D

#25 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

...This thread is so awesome. If only I had more time and more tubing connectors.. :D
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users