3 replies to this topic

#1 Axle-Gear

Axle-Gear

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

First of all, word to the wise:

Windows Vista + trying to transfer pics via bluetooth = BAD

Moving on, I will try to show what pictures I managed to upload and explain the steps as best as possible. Sorry if they are all huge; I forgot to shrink them down before uploading them, and I have no wishes of wrestling with Photobucket to take some down and put others in their place.

That being said, Step One:
Posted Image

Cut off the turret along the visible seam. I reccommend a coping saw for this. After everything above the seam is gone, you may need to take a knife to what's left of the barrels to cut out the rest of the AR's.

Step Two:
Posted Image

Take your favorite Rose markers, pry off the backs with a good pocket knife, and empty those suckers out. The smaller part at the marker end should b e left on, as this will help you line up the new barrels.

Step Three:
Posted Image

Now take one of the caps from those Rose markers, and notch it like so. This will help it straddle the middle strut of the turret. Be sure to remove the middle part of the cap!

Step Four:
Posted Image

Take your notched cap and some epoxy putty, and glue down the middle of the turret. This will become the part where the removable barrels attach. I just eyeballed my centering job on it, which seems to work well enough.

DO NOT RESPOND YET, STEPS 5-8+ COMING WHEN I CAN GET THE PICTURES WORKING.

#2 Axle-Gear

Axle-Gear

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:23 PM

Alrighty then. From now on, I'm going to use a more conventional method of taking photos instead of using my camera phone and transferring via bluetooth.

Step 5:
Posted Image

Next up, take one of your rose markets, and cover it in enough tape (I used masking tape, but electrical tape should be ideal) to space the surrounding barrels enough from the center that they will sit nicely in the holes when the center marker is attached to the cap on the gun.

Step 6:
Posted Image

More Epoxy! I reccommend using a bit of putty epoxy between all the barrels to hold them in place, but allow you shift them around and space them evenly. I also used some of the excess epoxy to sure up the cap in the center of the turret.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT glue the marker in the center to any of the others. It will need to be able to slide to make sure it is at the right level to attach to the cap while letting all the barrels nest in their holes.

Step 7:
Posted Image

When your putty has dried enough, shove the whole assembly over the cap, and push it down until each barrel is resting the the right spot. You can eve do this in advance to use the gun itself as a rig to hold everything in the right place. Note that the center marker is protruding; we can cut that away when everything it glued down properly.

Step 8:
Posted Image

HOT GLUE!!! Use as much as necessary to hold all the barrels together. The epoxy putty is just there as a place-holder for this step. You can see that I am using the gun again as a rig to hold everything togther. Be careful not to glue your barrels to the gun, however; that would defeat the purpose of this mod.

Step 9+
(No pictures yet until I find a REAL camera)

Let the glue dry, cut away the excess from the center marker, and you should have an easily removable turret! To fill in the dead space between the hole and the back of the barrel, I cut apart some darts and stuffed them in there. You will need to make the sections long enough that the back of the barrel just barely presses into them, but short enough that they don't push the whole turret back off.

I will have some more pics up soon dEffeminateting how to fill in the dead space, the work I did on the internals, and the whole gun itself. Maybe I'll even get some ranges; so far, it seems to fire with a bit more power than my modded NF, which I use as the benchmark for any war-worthy weapon.

And there you have it! An effective way to add a removable turret to an at3k with common modding materials.

Edited by Axle-Gear, 13 January 2009 - 09:25 PM.

#3 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:42 PM

Cool, so hows the range on that thing because marker barrels give bad enough range much less ones who are still half intact. Like measurements if you can because I have 4 nite finders that all shoot different ranges.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#4 Drew is nerfing

Drew is nerfing

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:09 PM

Interesting idea. I asume that the ranges will be a little less than average because of the seal, but...definately good to improve rate of fire. GOOD JOB!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users