drum mag loading

41 replies to this topic

#1 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:49 PM

http://www.wargamecl...ma_aeg_mg42.jpg

I'm trying to make my longshot look and function with a drum mag like this gun in the picture, how could I make a side loading drum mag for my LS?

Edited by perezinthenet, 10 January 2009 - 07:50 PM.

#2 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:55 PM

Put a Mav turret into it and make so that a breech is able to enter though the back of the turret
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#3 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:57 PM

Put a Mav turret into it and make so that a breech is able to enter though the back of the turret

Due to the bolt sled, that is MUCH easier said than done.

Edited by Foamfoot, 11 January 2009 - 12:06 AM.

Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 14 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

Damn it Foamfoot. Why is it that you kill every good topic with a retarded response a few days late.

#4 Jedijoe9

Jedijoe9

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

You haven't even tried to do anything. Go try some of your ideas and come back with results.

You probably want to stick to something like this anyway. It would be horribly complicated to do what you are talking about.

Concept threads suck
"If you watch jaws backwards it's about a huge shark that throws up so many people that they need to open a beach."

I nerf like a four year old.

#5 Arconious

Arconious

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

So you are trying to make your LS have a feed like the Vulcan. I doubt that is possible with the amount of work you would be able to put in it. You would have to figure out an auto advancing belt, dremel out both sides of the LS where the breech is, create a belt that would be able to work with the breech in the LS, and have it accurate enough that when you go to close the breech the dart is situated directly behind the barrel.

Which at the very least requires some basic engineering, some advanced plastic machining, and around 10 hours to fabricate anything. Not to mention all the jamming such a system would have. Oh, and if you are trying for it to be a machine gun, you are crazy, you won't ever be able to get it to work.

It would be easier to buy a vulcan and figure out how to modify it to have similar power to the LS.

And cosmetically it would be almost impossible anyway, that machine gun is much thinner than the LS anyway.

#6 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:09 PM

Well if you want it to turn you would need a spring such as the one in a mouse trap. Other than that find the right size PVC, which is VERY large, considering what my local Menards sells. Then get another PVC pipe that will leave comfortable sliding room for the darts. That PVC will be attached to the trap spring, with a half chunk of CPVC on the outside, between the inner part of the larger PVC and the slightly smaller PVC, with the CPVC half pushing the darts up into the clip that will be attached to the mag so the darts can load. you will also need supports on the gun so the mag won't fall to the ground when you run around. All in all, you better have a large chunk of cash for this project.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#7 hapenis

hapenis

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:23 PM

Well you could just take a empty CD spindle (the cases for blank cds) and glue it to the original longshot magazine and it would look like a drum mag. Someone did that to their rfr for a shell catcher. Vid: And if you put one empty cd spindle on each side of the ls clip it would look like http://img.redwolfai...-M16EDRUM-L.jpg

#8 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

In this thread http://nerfhaven.com...l=drum magazine in the second idea by Der Exilen is what I'm talking about plus heres a diagram
Posted Image

Sorry for the large pic but it makes it easier to understand what I'm saying

Edited by perezinthenet, 10 January 2009 - 08:36 PM.

#9 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

Looks plausible to me. Though if it comes to fruition make the guide for darts going in to the clip slightly curved.

P.S. You will still have to have some sort of supports.

Edited by death by cheez, 10 January 2009 - 08:51 PM.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#10 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:50 PM

I'm terrible in paint but I intended that to be curved when actually created.

#11 boom

boom

• Banned
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

Oh man a spring for that would more than likely be custom.
I'm just the scitzophrenic clusterfuck of randomness that is me.

#12 redhog

redhog

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

Drum magazines of this style required some kind of advancement mechanism; either the ammunition is belted together so that it's dragged out by the action, or its pushed by a spring. The real MG42 relied on the former, modern C-style magazines for real-steel and airsoft the latter.

The problem with using a spring is that nerf ammo is squishy foam. Darts can't be pressed on like brass cartridges or airsoft pellets without deforming. Any spring that has enough tension to push the foam around the mag will crush the rounds.

So at best you'd have to make some kind of advancing wheel to hand turn and push new darts into the magazine well. At that point, however, you're probably better off using the normal clips and carrying a few spares to swap in and out of.

Edited by redhog, 10 January 2009 - 09:42 PM.

#13 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:46 PM

In splitlip's vulcan mod he made a drum mag that used a large pushy thing to push darts in a circle

#14 Arconious

Arconious

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:48 PM

Not to mention the spring in the clip will probably make this impossible. When you go to prime the gun the clip will advance forward with the spring, and won't let another dart into the clip. But if you took the spring out, you would need to figure out some way to get the rounds to advance against gravity and go up the clip.

#15 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

I would connect several blanks in a chain to push the darts up all the way at the end

#16 shoeshine5

shoeshine5

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:31 AM

I've always been interested in creating something similar to this by combining a maverick turrent and a longshot:

Posted Image

Please note that the pictures may not be to scale.
While you are busy reading this, I am eating your sandwich.

#17 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:20 AM

Does anyone else have a better idea for how to make it drum loading? what If I did an angel breech with the reciever sideways and attached a splitlip like drummag with slight modification and put it in through the side?

#18 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:47 AM

Well...the Raider from the N-strike game has side-loading clips. And it is a likely candidate to be released. You could wait for that, and it would be easier to make a drum clip because the breech would be on it's side.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#19 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:33 AM

Ill look into it and I think I'm just going to make a fake drum mag which holds 2 or 3 clips in it but I may still try my original idea

#20 Ner Commando

Ner Commando

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:39 PM

Perhaps you have achain running through the drum and the mag that is manually moved that comes out at the top jam door.

#21 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

This thread sucks and you should feel bad for having started it.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#22 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

What's wrong with drum mags?

#23 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

They simply aren't practical to build. They're too much work for two little pay off. You'd be better off doing a Capt. Slug double clip and leaving it at that, or do a COSMETIC mod to make it look like an MG42.

Edited by Bullet Dragon, 11 January 2009 - 04:26 PM.

Gimme back my bullets....

#24 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

They simply aren't practical to build. They're too much work for two little pay off. You'd be better off doing a Capt. Slug double clip and leaving it at that, or do a COSMETIC mod to make it look like an MG42.

The thread sucks because it's completely conceptual and full of speculation. I'd put money on that the OP will never get close to building this. The pay off is actually really nice - if you don't mind the slight range loss (in my breechless version), a 50 round clip means virtually no reloading on most guns.

In other news, I've been working on updating the drum mag plans so that they're not held together by adhesives, which is why the other broke. But they're just like angel breeches in that they need very specifically sized darts.

Edited by Splitlip, 11 January 2009 - 04:34 PM.

Teehee.

#25 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

I've decided that I'm going to make a drum mag clip holder for 2 or 3 more LS clips, as soon as I get some time I'll work on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users