41 replies to this topic

#1 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts
  • State:California

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

I was discussing older guns with a non-Nerfing friend when he asked why the Splitfire was so expensive. I told him about the mechanism, the range, the compact size, all that stuff. He later joked that I should get the molds and recreate them to sell.

I started to brainstorm then.

I had some non-leaky Hornet barrels, a Big Salvo pump, and a fuckton of assorted parts from broken guns. I eventually settled on my AT3K, from which I then harvested the handle and the trigger. Here's the result of some hour or so of work:

Posted Image

It's, um, really strange. To get a sense of scale, it's almost identical in length to the Maverick with the pump in, and slightly shorter and narrower. I had to cut open the Big Salvo pump to situate the AT3K trigger, so while it was open I plugged it, which primes the gun really quickly since Hornet barrels are miniscule. I plugged the last two holes since that AT3K trigger pull is only long enough to actuate the first two blasts.

Posted Image

I cut apart the Big Salvo trigger mechanism and gooped it together, and then put some hot glue around the joint. After that I epoxy puttied the rod to the AT3K trigger. Visible here are the circles of electrical tape I wrapped around the Big Salvo pump so it would sit tighter inside the AT3K trigger.

Posted Image

Same thing, this is just the trigger depressed all the way.

Posted Image

To prevent air leak I plugged the last two holes on the Big Salvo pump with hot glue. It should keep it sealed.

Posted Image

Here's the front of the gun. I haven't glued down the Hornet blast chambers (they're held there with Gorilla Tape for the moment) but they've been couplered. I've found that the easiest way to de-restrict airflow in Hornet valves is cut exactly where the white part of the tank ends. That's the point where the white cover Ompa's mod has you pull out with pliers ends; once you cut it's trivial to just pull off. For the barrels I use six inches of PVC with about three inches of CPVC nested inside (I had to dremel out the inside of the PVC for it to fit).

I don't really feel the need to explain in step-by-step detail the process for making one of these. The gun is nearly stark naked and the internals are pretty easy to figure out. Instead, I'll skip that and get right to the point everyone wants to know: ranges.

Using slightly tight darts, fired in a moderately warm, dry hallway, at four pumps, the first barrel reached:

The second barrel, same conditions, same darts, reached:

Trigger pull on the AT3K gets a little sticky farther back, so I imagine the slight decrease in range is due to the valve not being opened as quickly as it should.

All in all, this is a fucking insane sidearm. Eventually, I hope to turret one of the barrels for slightly higher ROF but I'll keep at least one coupler-loading, since it's not a terribly slow system.

Edited by Ice Nine, 05 January 2009 - 06:36 PM.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#2 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:43 PM

Wow, just wow. That is like when someone gets into a car crash and needs a new heart, but the heart in this case is the tanks and pump.... I really need to stop watching house. But very nice job, quite inventive. Just one thing, how are is that thing to aim?
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#3 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:45 PM

Wow, just wow. That is like when someone gets into a car crash and needs a new heart, but the heart in this case is the tanks and pump.... I really need to stop watching house. But very nice job, quite inventive. Just one thing, how are is that thing to aim?

It's very easy to aim, since there's nothing obstructing the top of the barrels all I have to do is look down the top of the left one, and then the right one. It generally hits what it's aiming for.

Rnbw Cln

#4 perezinthenet

perezinthenet

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:45 PM

You should cover the exposed parts with a half-pipe of PVC

#5 L0pper

L0pper

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

Very cool! I like the look of it too!

#6 TheNerfLoki

TheNerfLoki

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

Wow. I will make my version, seeing as I had a hornet ready for integration, and an at2k shell. I will post it soon. I can't use my Big Salvo parts, so does anyone have any ideas how to covert the hornet shotgun button into a (conventional) trigger?
Am I the only one who uses the sig function for a sig?
TNL,

#7 slienced assassin

slienced assassin

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:08 PM

Very good. That is one of the weirdest sidearms I have ever seen. How many pumps does it need?
92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to "real music",
copy and paste this into your signature

http://supernerf.piczo.com/?cr=1

#8 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

Wow. I will make my version, seeing as I had a hornet ready for integration, and an at2k shell. I will post it soon. I can't use my Big Salvo parts, so does anyone have any ideas how to covert the hornet shotgun button into a (conventional) trigger?

Though I am not 100% sure how the Hornet's internals are arranged and function(I looked at some pics, but that doesn't compare with actually seeing it in person), I imagine this would be doable.
Posted Image

Anyway, cool improvised Splitfire. I never have had luck with blasters with multiple barrels, glad to see that both on this one fire about equally. Plus, you have a +70ft hallway? Lucky.

EDIT: Nevermind, this is probably not what he meant. I didn't realize he meant how to get each chamber firing separately with the blast button.

Edited by analogkid, 05 January 2009 - 08:50 PM.

#9 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

That + Big Salvo blast chambers + PETG = most Effeminate, amazing sidearm/primary I have ever imagined or seen.
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#10 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:24 PM

You should cover the exposed parts with a half-pipe of PVC

It works fine without it; in fact, I think covering it would hinder aiming.

Very good. That is one of the weirdest sidearms I have ever seen. How many pumps does it need?

Four pumps is great, five pumps is pushing it and exacerbates the difference in ranges between the barrels. A plugged Big Salvo pump can put out some serious pressure.

Though I am not 100% sure how the Hornet's internals are arranged and function(I looked at some pics, but that doesn't compare with actually seeing it in person), I imagine this would be doable.
<image>
Anyway, cool improvised Splitfire. I never have had luck with blasters with multiple barrels, glad to see that both on this one fire about equally. Plus, you have a +70ft hallway? Lucky.

The only way I can imagine setting up the Hornet blast valve to fire a single chamber while reserving air in other chambers would require all three blast valves and a few check valves to keep air from firing barrels unintentionally.

There are three main hallways in my dorm; two reach one twenty and the largest one is about two hundred feet. They aren't very wide, though.

That + Big Salvo blast chambers + PETG = most Effeminate, amazing sidearm/primary I have ever imagined or seen.

Unfortunately I had one non-functioning BS chamber and the other three are integrated into my Big Blast as a Marvelous Salvo. However, that would be a seriously beastly sidearm, especially with both blast chambers AT2K turreted.

Rnbw Cln

#11 CrazyIvan VI

CrazyIvan VI

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:31 PM

Wow, my school would freak the hell out of they knew I had a nerf gun on campus.

We're not allowed to have guns of ANY type on campus. Kent's very picky about that.
I get all giddy when I see VACC browsing a stupid topic. I just know someone is going to get banned.

#12 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

Wow, my school would freak the hell out of they knew I had a nerf gun on campus.

We're not allowed to have guns of ANY type on campus. Kent's very picky about that.

Seriously? That's pretty weird. I know that the dorm rules dictate that we're not supposed to have airsoft, paintball, or BB guns on campus, but I've seen people here (UChicago) with them in the past and one of my resident heads (a physicist at Fermilab) actually joined in the shit with us.

In other, more pertinent news, I've been trying out different barrel systems. I have some scraps of CX's PETG left, and nesting them into about seven inches of PVC adds about five to ten feet of range to dart travel. A welcome improvement, I must admit.

Rnbw Cln

#13 amerikanidiot154

amerikanidiot154

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:01 PM

Very cool, nice use of spare parts.
You'll laugh your dick off

He'd make a great candidate for smear the queer. Give him an eliminator and set him free.~BladeMaster:NHQ

#14 nerfer9

nerfer9

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

I just watched that episode. Gregory House FTW!!! You guys just reminded me of my Big Salvo. I am going to go plug it now.

#15 TheBolt

TheBolt

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:05 PM

That is the best looking Frankenstein side arm I have ever seen. I don't know why, but it's strangely hypnotic.

#16 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:45 PM

you should have connected to the first and last ports on the BS pump/trigger..... otherwise A+

Don

Edited by Mr BadWrench, 05 January 2009 - 10:46 PM.

NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#17 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • State:Washington

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:05 AM

Dammit... I was already in the parts stage of building something like that.
*applauds.*

I think now the trick is getting it as small, compact, and sexy as the real thing. ;o)
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#18 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:40 AM

you should have connected to the first and last ports on the BS pump/trigger..... otherwise A+

Don

That was my original goal, but the problem is the AT3K trigger pull isn't long enough to hit that last valve.

Dammit... I was already in the parts stage of building something like that.
*applauds.*

I think now the trick is getting it as small, compact, and sexy as the real thing. ;o)

Now that would be impressive.

Rnbw Cln

#19 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:08 AM

Don

That was my original goal, but the problem is the AT3K trigger pull isn't long enough to hit that last valve.

there has to be a way to extend your trigger travel.

I have a BS pump and 4 hornet chambers on my workbench as leftovers, I was talking in the NHQ chatroom about building a pistol from it. I do not have any decent shells so It will have to wait.

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#20 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:57 PM

Nicely done. From my work on the original Arachnophobia, I know how much of a pain it can be to get the trigger to work just right, though yours seems to not be as much of a challenge as mine was.

Also, I have something very similar to this that I need to post. Hopefully tomorrow!

#21 Redmark

Redmark

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:12 AM

Awesome use of spare parts. I would like to see that thing with some paint. All in all great mod. Is the trigger hard to pull?
Non-Expanding Recreational Foam

#22 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:41 AM

Nicely done. From my work on the original Arachnophobia, I know how much of a pain it can be to get the trigger to work just right, though yours seems to not be as much of a challenge as mine was.

Also, I have something very similar to this that I need to post. Hopefully tomorrow!

I honestly can not wait to see what you have in store along these lines. This should prove interesting.

Awesome use of spare parts. I would like to see that thing with some paint. All in all great mod. Is the trigger hard to pull?

The trigger is a little harder to pull on the second shot but it's not any more difficult than, say, a plugged AT2K at five pumps. A firm trigger pull goes a long ways.

Rnbw Cln

#23 Gyrvalcon

Gyrvalcon

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • State:Ontario

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:49 PM

I have to say, this looks pretty fucking clean for this kind of hackery. Perhaps to increase the trigger pull you could turn the pressure release valve around and then use a lever to operate it. The lever could both reverse and change the length the pull.

Anyways, I like how good it looks.

Edited by Gyrvalcon, 07 January 2009 - 03:51 PM.

-Knowledge Is Power-

#24 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

Here's my version:

Essentially a Marvelous Salvo with only two barrels instead of three attached to a Maverick grip. Pretty straight forward. Here are some pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Construction is solid and this is one durable blaster.

#25 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

Here's my version:

Essentially a Marvelous Salvo with only two barrels instead of three attached to a Maverick grip. Pretty straight forward. Here are some pics:

<pictures>

Construction is solid and this is one durable blaster.

Mad classy. I only managed to find one boxed set of SMDTGs so I thought it would be best to save for Marvelous Salvo integrations, but that trigger mechanism looks so much easier to deal with than the mess I came up with.

I noticed you're using the SMDTG pump, which, after dicking around with the two I have lying around, don't seem to put out a lot of air. How many pumps does it take to bring the MS up to decent pressure?

Rnbw Cln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users