Photo

Scorpion Bow Mod Help

12 replies to this topic

#1 m14

m14

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

Before anyone asks I have searched, and haven't found my answer. I can't get any pictures up either. I'm working on a mod for my Scorpion Bow, but even after putting a new barrel on, removing the air-restrictor, and adding a Recon spring it's only get around 20ft. My barrel is made out of two pieces of copper with a small coupler to prevent the dart from going into the plunger. Can anyone help me.

Edited by m14, 04 January 2009 - 09:19 PM.

I believe in the true lord Joseph Stalin. Problem?

#2 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:43 PM

I don't own a scorpion bow, but there's a basic troubleshooting checklist that works for most guns.

Barrel: Could be too tight or loose for your darts. And what do you mean it's made from two pieces of brass?

Plunger Seal: Goldilocks scenario. Too loose and you're not maximizing the output of air. Too frictiony and you're slowing the plunger head down.

Dead space: This one's a killer. If there's a huge gap between the end of the plunger tube and your barrel, the volume of air being forced out is wasted on this gap instead of pushing out the dart. Minimize dead space by cutting it down or filling in awkward spaces with hot glue. Also, if your brass barrel is nested in PVC and held in place with tape or something, there can be a huge air pocket if the tape is too far from the bottom of the barrel.
"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#3 Rover

Rover

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:04 PM

I am actually having the same problem. I modded my scorpion bow the same way I did my BBB, and that got around 90 feet. On my Scorpion bow the dart fails to even leave the barrel. I used hotglue to eliminate all dead space in the front part of the plunger tube, as well as making a 100% airtight seal with teflon tape and o-ring lube. I think barrel fit is key in this case.

#4 m14

m14

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:14 PM

There's a gun called the Professional. I'm using the darts from that in my gun, and they get me 20ft. Those are the darts that work the best. I tried taggers, buzz bee suction cup darts, and screamers they work fine. I try CDTS and streamlines, but they don't even make it out of the barrel. My barrel system is only about 11 inches.

PS: I'll try to get some pictures of my barrel up as soon as possible.

#5 orogomi ninja

orogomi ninja

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:31 PM

I think it is your choice in barrel material; Copper pipe Doesn't have a very tight fit for most darts. Blasters that have been fitted with copper pipe, usually prove to be worse than stock.

At least, the ones I've seen
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 23 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Thats the way I do it. Use a rag with some light fast rubbing.

Sometimes I hate my uncontrollable imagination....

#6 m14

m14

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

I thought I was getting brass tubing. I didn't find out until a few minutes ago that it was copper. Plus I wasted $25 on it and the coupler.

#7 bamblack2000

bamblack2000

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:06 PM

I'm thinking it's either the dart fit in the barrel or its the weights in the darts. What weight are you using?

#8 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

I'm thinking it's either the dart fit in the barrel or its the weights in the darts. What weight are you using?

And Im thinking you're a dumbass...

m14, first thing fire the gun so the spring has no tension... make a seal and blow down the barrel... there should be very little air escaping... if you cannot build enough pressure to puff your cheeks up you have a poor fitting barrel... if you put your thumb over the end of the barrel and fire the gun, will the piston move slowly and can you feel it building pressure?

Second thing... there's nothing wrong with copper as long as it fits your darts if you can push your darts into the barrel without too much effort and turn the gun barrel down and shake it without the darts falling out then your barrel is ok...

IF you used copper, what did you cut it with? did it crimp the end of the copper and that crimp is the only thing that is holding your darts? can you put your finger in the barrel and feel a sharp edge? I used 1/2in type M red copper is several guns with decent results so don't let anyone tell you you cannot use it.... its just not practical.

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#9 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:26 PM

Copper is horrible for stock darts. So far, the only thing I found that works with copper is log home foam. If I use a stock dart in my NF, it will shoot 20 ft. But if I use the white log home darts I bought from Split, they shoot 70.
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#10 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

Woah, Echn, My b-day is 1 day before yours. February 1st! Weird.

Something happened with my BBB. I thought the copper was brass, anticipating an awesome fit. I lucked out because Taggers can actually have a tight fit in there (Their heads, not the foam.) That gets around 30ft, fairly good for copper on taggers.

Edited by Merzlin, 04 January 2009 - 10:32 PM.

#11 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

There's a gun called the Professional. I'm using the darts from that in my gun, and they get me 20ft. Those are the darts that work the best. I tried taggers, buzz bee suction cup darts, and screamers they work fine. I try CDTS and streamlines, but they don't even make it out of the barrel. My barrel system is only about 11 inches.

If you are only using stock darts do you really need an 11 inch barrel? I use stock darts on everything, and there's no reason for a long barrel because the dart has to sit at the end of it anyways. Even if you are able to stuff them down in there wouldn't the rubber on the dart head be creating a lot of friction? I would try taking the barrel off and making it a lot shorter, or just put a marker barrel on instead.

I'm a little surprised this hasn't been mentioned already, so I hope I'm not missing something that everyone else here sees.

Edit: I guess I was.

Edited by VelveetaAvenger, 05 January 2009 - 12:20 AM.

"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#12 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:14 AM

If you are only using stock darts do you really need an 11 inch barrel? I use stock darts on everything, and there's no reason for a long barrel because the dart has to sit at the end of it anyways. Even if you are able to stuff them down in there wouldn't the rubber on the dart head be creating a lot of friction? I would try taking the barrel off and making it a lot shorter, or just put a marker barrel on instead.

I'm a little surprised this hasn't been mentioned already, so I hope I'm not missing something that everyone else here sees.

he said he tried CDTDs and streamlines.
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#13 m14

m14

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:42 AM

The weights in my CDTS are just .12g bbs, and I only use one of them. The actual length of the barrel that the darts go in is only slightly longer than a stock Longshot barrel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users