The "tactical Shot"

Disc Shot / Tactical Light mod

24 replies to this topic

#1 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:25 PM

**NOTE** I'm not going to bother with a write-up to this, it took too many tiny details and pieces from various things to get to the end product. If you're willing to attempt this, then just go by what you see like I did.

Now a write-up.

So I was messing around one day with my disc shot and i ended up just taking it apart. Took out the plunger tube and noticed i had a spare Tactical Light laying around. I then took that apart and saw what space it had inside it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I got to working.

Posted Image
I took about 3 or so hours cutting out and removing any pieces inside that were just taking up space, and kept the parts that i could use to help fit the plunger tube with more snugly than just having it sitting inside.

Posted Image

Posted Image

EDIT: This is how I went about cutting all the internal shell pieces in order to fit the tube & such:
Posted Image

This was my original plan for the internals:

Posted Image

Turns out the PVC wasn't doing any good, so i took it out.

Another angle (with PVC):
Posted Image

Barrel stabilization was simple, just trim the hole up where the light used to be so the end of the plunger would fit. Barrel would be added on later.

Posted Image

End product:
Posted Image

I used a roseart barrel instead of anything heavy, mainly due to the fact that i've never seen a piece of brass in my town or anywhere near where i live.

EDIT: I ended up having the original hot glued barrel come off, so i gooped it on later.

Top View:
Posted Image

I didn't do anything fancy with the trigger mech. Just pressing down the catch plate was enough to function as a trigger.
EDIT: Working on a trigger of some sort.
Posted Image

Ranges:
Flat: 40-50 ft.
Angled: 1,000,000 ft. (I kid, i kid..)

It fits just like any other accessory with the tactical rail on it. Thats the beauty.

Other stats:
-Used a slightly stretched Sharpshooter II spring
-Will most commonly be used with my Mini Stefans™ for burst shots. Works very well for close-ranged fire fights, great addition to a long-range gun.
-Wrapped plunger head with teflon tape, then e-tape. Glued down with hot glue.
-Lubed up with silicone spray.

Videos:

First Test Shot:

Integration with guns:
Posted Image

Edited by Norther_of_Heaven, 18 August 2008 - 12:21 PM.

"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#2 marriedmynitefinder

marriedmynitefinder

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:28 PM

Useless add on turned useful. Nice job in my opinion.
I prefer apple bottoms. Yeah, I said it.
-direct threat

#3 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:40 PM

Very nice. This has been done before, but with something a little larger and alot less parts to remove. I am unable to find it, but someone had integrated NF internals into the LS scope.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#4 Nova

Nova

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:40 PM

Yeah that is cool, Post the videos and i might try it myself.

Props anyways.

Nova
I need a life..

#5 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:43 PM

Great idea. I will defiantely maybe try this. Integrating one into a longshot or something would be pretty sweet. It's like a small NF minimized into an even smaller shell. Nice work

Edited by AJ.Z, 17 August 2008 - 03:44 PM.

#6 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:47 PM

I would've used NF guts, but i didn't have a spare one.

This kind of started out with me being afraid to really integrate anything with anything else permanently.
But now i can equip and un-equip as i please.
I beat my wife."

#7 CrazyIvan VI

CrazyIvan VI

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:19 PM

This kind of started out with me being afraid to really integrate anything with anything else permanently.

The Discshot and NF are pretty much exactly the same.

Don't quote me on the springs, but the internals are the same. I prefer the Discshots because of the better looking shell and more ammo holders.
I get all giddy when I see VACC browsing a stupid topic. I just know someone is going to get banned.

#8 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:29 PM

Don't quote me on the springs, but the internals are the same. I prefer the Discshots because of the better looking shell and more ammo holders.

The main difference is price.

For that reason alone I would rather do this with an NF than a DS.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#9 Brunta

Brunta

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:26 PM

Very well done. I really like seeing these awesome integrations into the tactical rail things. This way you can just slap one of these on the tactical rail and you have an instant integration. And whats better is you can switch them from gun to gun easily. Nice work.

#10 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:06 PM

Very nice modification, makes me want to buy another tactical light for that reason. Also, what rail was on your BBB when you attached it onto the BBB, it doesn't look familiar.

#11 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:11 PM

Very nice modification, makes me want to buy another tactical light for that reason. Also, what rail was on your BBB when you attached it onto the BBB, it doesn't look familiar.

I cut up the barrel extension for the Recon, just the bottom rail.
It fit pretty well, I also took the rail connection piece (whatever you call it) that holds whatever onto the rail. This way i can put a NF or something on the other side.
I beat my wife."

#12 CrazyIvan VI

CrazyIvan VI

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:32 PM

The main difference is price.

For that reason alone I would rather do this with an NF than a DS.

Ah yes. My local target had a large clearance on DiscShot Expansions, I got them for 6$.
I get all giddy when I see VACC browsing a stupid topic. I just know someone is going to get banned.

#13 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:46 PM

Well, I did have a spare tactical light (ripped it off of my BBB 2 or 3 days ago) and I did have a spare Nite-Finder (ripped it off that same BBB 2 or 3 days ago...after the barrel fell off). SOOOO, I got to work, what happened was I gutted the crud outa everthing in the tac. light, crayola (yes crayola, no roseart for me...but it's the same color, yellow...) and hot glued the plunger in. Now I just feel like I wasted a perfectly good Nite-finder and Tactical Light. Why you ask? Well it's almost done, and since we're leaving for vacation tommorow I won't be able to work on it for 4 days. My only problem is the catch, it's just there, loose, so then gun is uncockable, and whenever you do try to cock it, either 1 of 2 things happen:
1. The entire plunger rod flies out along with the spring and cocking mechanism.
2. You bend the catch spring, you are able to pull the plunger rod back, yet it doesn't cock
because the catch spring isn't firmly mounted on the bottom so you just have to slide the
plunger rod back to the uncocked position.
I did take pictures but I haven't uploaded them yet.

EDIT: (here are the picture[s]!) sorry for the bad quality
Posted Image
Posted Image
Just to see if I gutted anything extra, from your pics, it looks like I gutted alot more then I should've.
Posted Image
I DID TAKE THE HOT GLUE OFF (well actually when I cocked it the hot glue ripped off)
Also, the light is upside down, if you look closely you can see that

Edited by Watari, 17 August 2008 - 10:57 PM.

#14 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:55 PM

Well, I did have a spare tactical light (ripped it off of my BBB 2 or 3 days ago) and I did have a spare Nite-Finder (ripped it off that same BBB 2 or 3 days ago...after the barrel fell off). SOOOO, I got to work, what happened was I gutted the crud outa everthing in the tac. light, crayola (yes crayola, no roseart for me...but it's the same color, yellow...) and hot glued the plunger in. Now I just feel like I wasted a perfectly good Nite-finder and Tactical Light. Why you ask? Well it's almost done, and since we're leaving for vacation tommorow I won't be able to work on it for 4 days. My only problem is the catch, it's just there, loose, so then gun is uncockable, and whenever you do try to cock it, either 1 of 2 things happen:
1. The entire plunger rod flies out along with the spring and cocking mechanism.
2. You bend the catch spring, you are able to pull the plunger rod back, yet it doesn't cock
because the catch spring isn't firmly mounted on the bottom so you just have to slide the
plunger rod back to the uncocked position.
I did take pictures but I haven't uploaded them yet.

EDIT: (here are the picture[s]!) sorry for the bad quality
Posted Image
Posted Image
Just to see if I gutted anything extra, from your pics, it looks like I gutted alot more then I should've.
Posted Image
I DID TAKE THE HOT GLUE OFF (well actually when I cocked it the hot glue ripped off)
Also, the light is upside down, if you look closely you can see that

I'm sorry to say sir.. but if you'll look at my modifications to the inside of the light's shell, i did not cut out ALL the pieces of the inner tactical light shell.

**Posting a picture edited to explain how i put every thing in**
I beat my wife."

#15 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:48 PM

I added a trigger!

And it comes from the battery pack cover off the original tactical light, so it looks even more like the light did without modification.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just hot glued on to the top of the catch plate with the little notch at the end of the cover. Works just by pressing down, and is now MUCH more comfortable. Now maybe i can USE it! :P
I beat my wife."

#16 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:02 AM

I did something like this when I first joined but it was with a 2k. Nice job anyways. Also I didn't have a tripod at the time nor did I have my camera settings correct. My text got messed up and I have been trying to fix it sorry to all who this annoys.

#17 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:22 AM

Its fine.
Well im assuming that you now do have a camera, so do you have plans on posting it? I've been hearing about all these other mods like this but no one can ever find them! I'd like to see what others have done with the tactical rail.
I beat my wife."

#18 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:34 PM

I posted it a while ago, here it is. I tried fixing the font and size last night and made it worse. ;)

#19 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:36 PM

I posted it a while ago, here it is. I tried fixing the font and size last night and made it worse. :ph34r:

Thats really cool, i've never had any of the ATXKs before to try anything with them, but this looks really good. Nice job.
I beat my wife."

#20 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:39 PM

great effort..... What I find is that you just built something nerf already has..

http://www.entertain...number=HNR66755
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#21 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:51 PM

Sooo... the actual gun slides out of the controller? Is it on a tactical rail?
I beat my wife."

#22 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:21 PM

Sooo... the actual gun slides out of the controller? Is it on a tactical rail?

dont know..... been on waiting list for a long time
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#23 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:26 PM

Then i don't really see how that is anything like my mod.
Other than how the "gun" in the controller slides out like it says.
I beat my wife."

#24 colonel mcscurvey

colonel mcscurvey

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

Very nice. This has been done before, but with something a little larger and alot less parts to remove. I am unable to find it, but someone had integrated NF internals into the LS scope.

Actully I think it ws at2k internals in the scope.

#25 rbtying

rbtying

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:32 PM

Don't necro, please. The last post is from August...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users