Mod gone wrong?

9 replies to this topic

#1 kwaneazy

kwaneazy

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:32 AM

Hi guys,

I've been coming here for ages for various mods and such but have never needed to post till now. I have finally come up against a problem with a modded blaster that I cannot solve. So I seek input, as however many registered heads on this forum are better than one.

I had recently purchased a Nerf Maverick.
Of course, the first thing I did when I bought it home was to take out the AR's and to do the barrel mod (the one that allows more of the barrel to come out).
Everything was working fine until the AR removal, and now I get 3 misfires per load, and the rest barely make it 3 metres away from me...

I then rechecked all the internals and they looked fine. God knows how many times I have taken the blaster apart and re-assembled it now. I even went as far as to do the straw mod for the maverick (except I used blu-tac instead of expandable foam for the chambers). This, to my great disappointment, did nothing for me.

Is there something I missed completely? Everything inside the gun looks super tight to me and there shouldn't be any air leakage as far as I can see.

I will try get some pictures up here soon when I get home so you can all take a better look of the gun.

Input would be very appreciated.

Cheers,

Kwan

#2 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:15 AM

I await pics.... put the mav together with the shell open and take some clear closeups.

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#3 Applefury

Applefury

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:12 AM

Yes I await pics as well, but from what you've told me, I ran into some similar problems.
1.) Make sure the plunger tube is pressed tightly against the turret pull that part sticking out of the plunger tube out a little and put it back then try again.
2.) Make sure your turret is rotating properly, It might be that you've somehow damage the rotational mech and sometimes the turret rotates and others not. Or not enough.
3.) Check that the remains of the A R's you cut out are in proper position.

That is all I can say without pix.
QUOTE(Gamefreak @ Sep 29 2008, 07:03 PM) View Post

Since you're too young to get a hotel, you should look around, maybe check some aim chatrooms.
Theres alot of really friendly, nice people out there, that'd be more than willing to accomodate a young boy.

#4 kwaneazy

kwaneazy

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:01 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.
Here are the pics I promised.

To Applefury, I have checked your suggestions and everything you have mentioned is as they should be. The plunger tube head is poked out a little and touching the turret and the turret rotation works fine. I have even hot glued sealed the sides of the remains of the ARs to make it airtight.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please let me know if you guys see something wrong here.

Cheers

#5 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:06 AM

Absolutely.

There has to be a clean seal between the orange used-to-be-AR plates, and the barrels.

Otherwise, there won't be any air pressure.

The hotglue on top of the plates is preventing all of them from being completely sealed.

Test: plug one end with your finger, and blow in the other side. If you hear it escaping somewhere else, you didn't make a good connection.

PS: Yes I am aware, that sounds dirty to some minds. *shrugs*

Edited by AJAQ, 02 January 2009 - 01:08 AM.

~AJAQ~

#6 kwaneazy

kwaneazy

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:26 AM

Thanks Ajaq, I took your advice about the seal on the AR plate and the barrel and cleaned the hot glue off the top. Secondly, I also put a ring of blu tac around the perimeter of each hole to even better seal the connection.

This worked quite well, and now all darts leave the barrel and I average 6-7 metres on the maverick.

I still remember this gun firing better stock though (10 metres average) ...perhaps an AR removal on the maverick is actually counter-productive?

Any other theories welcome on how I can make this blaster perform better.

#7 your worst nightmare

your worst nightmare

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:42 AM

You do need a airtight seal and your darts maybe getting stuck on so hot glue at the end of the barrel
Rule 37: There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.

#8 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:03 PM

Hot glue is notoriously terrible as a sealing agent, it's a good thing you ripped it off. I don't know what this Blue Tac is, but from my experience with the Maverick you need a relatively thin glue to seal the gap, like a small amount of Plumber's Goop or a liquid cyanoacrylate adhesive (like Krazy Glue or Super Glue).

EDIT: I found out what Blue Tac is, and unless I'm wrong it is relatively similar to epoxy putty. FYI: I don't think that stuff will hold a seal for long or if there is even a complete seal if it is indeed like epoxy putty.

Edited by Blasphemy, 02 January 2009 - 12:10 PM.

When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#9 bamblack2000

bamblack2000

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:36 PM

This worked quite well, and now all darts leave the barrel and I average 6-7 metres on the maverick.

I still remember this gun firing better stock though (10 metres average) ...perhaps an AR removal on the maverick is actually counter-productive?

Any other theories welcome on how I can make this blaster perform better.

Meters? We measure using feet mostly but a maverick getting 10 meters, which is roughly 30ft, isn't that bad.

Edited by bamblack2000, 02 January 2009 - 06:36 PM.

#10 kwaneazy

kwaneazy

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:50 AM

Hot glue is notoriously terrible as a sealing agent, it's a good thing you ripped it off. I don't know what this Blue Tac is, but from my experience with the Maverick you need a relatively thin glue to seal the gap, like a small amount of Plumber's Goop or a liquid cyanoacrylate adhesive (like Krazy Glue or Super Glue).

EDIT: I found out what Blue Tac is, and unless I'm wrong it is relatively similar to epoxy putty. FYI: I don't think that stuff will hold a seal for long or if there is even a complete seal if it is indeed like epoxy putty.

Yeah blu-tac is a putty like all rounder we use here in Oz. So far It has been doing a decent job. Today I am going to be removing all of the hot glue from the remains of the AR's and looking for more ways to seal it.

Thanks for all the input, I will let you know once I finally solve this problem.

To bamblack2000, when it was stock it did fire quite well. And the mods I have done to it have actually significantly decreases performance. I am gonna try turn that around now!

Wish me luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users