Photo

Expanding Foam

14 replies to this topic

#1 xbox180

xbox180

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:57 AM

Has anyone here ever tried to use expanding foam that comes in a can, to silence a gun. This foam was seen in the "foaminator 3000" mod done to the maverick.

Edited by xbox180, 28 December 2008 - 08:59 AM.

"Congrats on Buy a Peice of Plastic thats most likely older than you, for half- a grand, your awesome man." Nerf Monkey

My Webpage
MY Youtube

#2 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:17 AM

Crossbow post #134

Sorry Renegade would not like me to link to that. I shall remove it.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#3 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:02 AM

the foam is called "Great Stuff" and it is extremely messy so be very careful with it. use a tiny tiny amount and don't get it on anything... if you clean the inside of the gun, wipe it with a damp paper towel to make it slightly wet before applying the glue, this will make the glue expand more quickly and give you less surprises later.

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#4 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:08 AM

Has anyone tried to make darts using expanding foam in a mold?
And yes I have seen people use that foam for silencing.
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#5 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:53 AM

Has anyone tried to make darts using expanding foam in a mold?
And yes I have seen people use that foam for silencing.

if you knew how messy the stuff was you'd understand.

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#6 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:24 PM

Silencers are useless in nerf. You shoot people from 20 feet away normally and they're not loud to begin with. Would you like to explain to me the point of this?
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#7 Gears

Gears

The boy who lived

• Members
  • 848 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:36 PM

Silencers are useless in nerf. You shoot people from 20 feet away normally and they're not loud to begin with. Would you like to explain to me the point of this?

I believe he means using FBR to line the inside shell of a blaster to quiet to the loud snap or thud of a plunger hitting a plunger tube, rather than using a barrel supresser. I know a lot of people do this with Pump Shotguns and Doomsayers, where there is an awful amount of dead-space in the stocks. The foam used in the Xbow above would be an example. The foam just absorbs sound.

Edited by Gears, 28 December 2008 - 01:37 PM.

WoW is destroying my life.

-Groove out.

LAWN GNOME LIBERATION FRONT

#8 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:38 PM

I'm willing to bet he knows that, but his point still stands, why does your gun need to be quite when you're 20 feet from the target

#9 nerf mafia

nerf mafia

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:39 PM

I've got a feeling that using the foam to silence your guns would be bettter for protecting your guns when there dropped, and do less silencing. Also it's cheaper to silence your guns with fbr.
THE OHIO PLAYDATE. WE PLAY WITH FORKS.

#10 Gears

Gears

The boy who lived

• Members
  • 848 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:44 PM

I'm willing to bet he knows that, but his point still stands, why does your gun need to be quite when you're 20 feet from the target

Nerf mafia got it. The foams also going to protect your internals as well. I'd feel a lot more confident in dropping my blaster to the ground knowing theres foam to absorb the shock of the fall. I'm sure the sound is also for the actual person firing the blaster.

Granted, I'm pretty sure it's just another thing someone can say they did to their blaster. I hope you can see where I'm going with this.

WoW is destroying my life.

-Groove out.

LAWN GNOME LIBERATION FRONT

#11 TheNerfLoki

TheNerfLoki

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:50 PM

If you are playing Assassins and multiple targets are around, you don't want them to know where you are.
Am I the only one who uses the sig function for a sig?
TNL,

#12 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:24 PM

You've never actually a played a real game of assassins, have you?

The point of this has yet to be explained because there is no point. First, silencing a blaster doesn't do a whole lot in the first place and you're definitely not going to get it quiet enough to make a difference in how far the sound travels. Second, there is almost no imaginable scenario in which you need to be silent after you've fired the dart. If someone gets shot with a well modified blaster, they are going to know it and make it known to everyone around you.

End of story.

#13 xbox180

xbox180

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:49 PM

Nerf mafia got it. The foams also going to protect your internals as well. I'd feel a lot more confident in dropping my blaster to the ground knowing theres foam to absorb the shock of the fall. I'm sure the sound is also for the actual person firing the blaster.

Granted, I'm pretty sure it's just another thing someone can say they did to their blaster. I hope you can see where I'm going with this.

Bingo, for my PAS this will help protect the internals and stock.
"Congrats on Buy a Peice of Plastic thats most likely older than you, for half- a grand, your awesome man." Nerf Monkey

My Webpage
MY Youtube

#14 that1dude

that1dude

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:54 AM

I would like to make my blaster a little quieter to avoid pissing off the upstairs neighbors, or any other neighbors when me and my roommates decide to have a quick war in the parking lot.

#15 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:21 AM

I would like to make my blaster a little quieter to avoid pissing off the upstairs neighbors

Bingo. I've been thinking of using expanding foam to silence my friend's longshot for awhile now. Not because it will give me any advantage in a war, but just because the thing is so damn loud. It annoys me and others.

Like Mr Wrench said, it's messy as hell - you want to put newspapers under it when you work with it. Gloves are nice too, since you can't help but get it all over your hands. It will muck up your internals badly if you don't proceed cautiously.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users