Maverick Ramrod For Stefans

video range test

8 replies to this topic

#1 autonerf

autonerf

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:40 PM

After doing a cpvc barrel replacement to my Maverick, I found it could only hit 50' flat when the darts were in the back of the barrels. So I came up with this idea for a ram rod which can ram all 6 darts at once. You have to do the clip mod for this to work.

Check out the video

Supplies / tools

wooden slats and dowels (found in W-Mart craft section)
jigsaw
drill
hot glue or wood glue

First cut one of your dowels into 6 parts about 2" a piece.

Posted Image

Then make an outline of the ram rod base onto your wooden slat and mark the holes.

Posted Image

Last you drill the holes, cut out the base circle and glue in the sticks.
On mine I attached velcro to the back so it can stick to the front of my gun when not in use.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's a quick way of loading all the stefans to the back of the clip to get the 50' range.

I'll leave you with some preview pictures of the mega maverick I'm working on.

Posted Image

I have extended the pump and the air tank for more air output. It takes about 8 pumps for the air release to kick in.

Posted Image

I will post ranges after I add a coupler and longer barrel. Right now it's so powerful that the short barrel doesn't work well. It's singled because I want to compare ranges when I make another one with the turret.

#2 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:51 PM

I don't think that this has been done before, nice work.

where you live....It looks...warm.

Here in Minnesnowta it is cold and..well...snowy.
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#3 Nobber

Nobber

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:58 PM

Nice write up. Please post ranges when you have them.
-You Commie! You Fascist! You anti federalist! You anarchist! You, you Walmart...
-These days, because of the energy crisis, if Santa gave me coal, I'd be happy delighted.
I'd go emo if there wasn't nerf. - DarkShrimp

#4 L0pper

L0pper

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:08 AM

I really like the tank expanison on the mega missle. Nice work!

#5 Fome

Fome

• Banned
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:12 AM

That would have been an awesome movie if the first 55 seconds didn't consist of a maverick spinning around on a pedestal.

I'm impressed that you got that kind of performance out of a maverick.

#6 nerf mafia

nerf mafia

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:36 AM

Your barrel is way to short on the mega missle mav, especialy with the expanded tank.
THE OHIO PLAYDATE. WE PLAY WITH FORKS.

#7 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:07 AM

Your barrel is way to short on the mega missle mav, especialy with the expanded tank.

Something tells me he knows that already. What could it be...

I will post ranges after I add a coupler and longer barrel. Right now it's so powerful that the short barrel doesn't work well. It's singled because I want to compare ranges when I make another one with the turret.

On topic - I like the idea of the 6-pronged ramrod for the Mav - saves you from having to push them each down individually, and if you have short, stubby fingers like I do, you can't just use them in CPVC.

I'm also really digging the Mega Maverick, and I'm looking forward to the turretted version. (I'm guessing the poor seal and the limited barrel length will hurt you there though.)

Edited by Ambience 327, 30 December 2008 - 11:11 AM.

Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#8 Krash

Krash

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:06 PM

Does the maverick stay in place when you pump it?

Edited by Krash, 30 December 2008 - 02:07 PM.

#9 autonerf

autonerf

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:43 AM

Atomotron,

Thanks, yes the weather in MO has been warm for a while.

Nobber,

With Nerf whistlers it shoots 95 - 100 ft. flat. That's with a 12" barrel.

L0pper,

Thanks but I don't know if the tank expansion helped it or not. Now that I think about it the air tank probably has the same amount of pressure since I didn't plug the pump. O well.

Fome,

Yeah I know, it didn't seem like the rotation was that long when I was filming. It was supposed to be sort of an advertisement. I always think it's funny when people notice the spinning.

I'm going to start making all my mavericks with cpvc I think. The stock darts never shoot the same distance for me because of either a bad dart or a poor seal from those barrel caps.

Ambience 327,

The Mega Maverick is working but I have to make some adjustments before gluing it all together. I'm hoping the huge air blast will make up for the poor seal. I once saw an extra long maverick but I'm hoping I won't need to make one for this to work.

Krash,

I have to hold it by the air tank when pumping it.
After completing this mod, I don't think I will do it again. Too much work for too little of a reward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users