Photo

Bows And Arrows As Nerf Weapons?

23 replies to this topic

#1 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:39 AM

No one believed me when I said bows are effective Nerf weapons. This isn't proof, and it isn't exact, but it's essentially why we use bows. This actually does work. As long as you're more than 20 feet away, it actually won't hurt. We use our lighter bows for this, 20-35 lbs (A 35 lbs bow will leave a welt if you're less than 20 ft away though). We can get 150' flat range (with bows 2 and 3, bow 1 is angled) without pain at 20 ft though, that's why were using bows.

I was the test dummy for 3 different kinds of bows with 3 different kinds of arrows.

Bow 1: Wooden long bow, 20 lbs
Bow 2: Aluminum recurve, high 20 lbs
Bow 3: green camp bow recurve (Boy Scout), 35 lbs

Arrow 1: Foam container on carbon fiber filled with foam pellets, fail with bow 3, pass with 1 & 2
Arrow 2: Break away arrow made of 4 insulation pieces on a handmade wooden shaft. Pass with 1, 2, and 3.
Arrow 3: Various sizes of foam padding for an extremely soft and durable tip on carbon fiber. Pass with 1, 2, and 3.

I may put up instructions for a bow and the arrows in the homemade section, if the moderators/admins say it's okay.
~Br1

#2 NerfGrassHopper

NerfGrassHopper

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:46 AM

That is really dangerous to use real bow's.
Punch your mom right in her stupid face.

-Groove

HeretiCorp "We got sued for the Recon, better make all our guns wussier"
- From Nerf IRC Chat.

#3 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:48 AM

This was posted at NHQ, and shot down there. Generally, if it isn't accepted there, it won't be here. This is a dangerous and stupid idea, and NO ONE would participate in a war with you shooting arrows tipped with foam at them. LEt this thread die.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#4 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:54 AM

Bow 1: Wooden long bow, 20 lbs
Bow 2: Aluminum recurve, high 20 lbs
Bow 3: green camp bow recurve (Boy Scout), 35 lbs

I'm pretty sure it wasn't about effectiveness, more about safety and the intelligence of such a move, being as it's pretty much a padded arrow, which isn't really nerf.

Of course when you started talking about bows I immediately thought of my 100lb compound and well... No amount of foam is going to make it safe to get shot by that thing.

Good luck with this, but I seriously doubt that it'll be allowed at any war. Safety concerns, not to mention the fact that police can actually take action if real weapons are being used.

ETA: Sorry, my memory is faulty, it was an adjustable 50-100lb draw compound, I was thinking of something else when I said 175.

Edited by hereticorp, 29 December 2008 - 01:19 PM.

#5 TheNerfLoki

TheNerfLoki

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:59 AM

I may put up instructions for a bow and the arrows in the homemade section, if the moderators/admins say it's okay.

That aside, this is a dumb idea that will get you hurt. Plus, it's just a little too much like something a LARPer would do, so you're out.

In case you don't know. OMC posted it.
Edit: hereticorp, is the 175 pound compound bow a typo or joke?
Edit2: Two last things:
1.Bows and arrow were created to hunt game or to be used in battle.
2. If we let bows in, we would have to let airguns in, seeing as bow are more powerful. No one will want sm 5000s, titans, and big blasts in wars, so why would we want bows?

Edited by TheNerfLoki, 29 December 2008 - 12:20 PM.

Am I the only one who uses the sig function for a sig?
TNL,

#6 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:21 PM

Apparently no one believes me still. Hereticorp said that a 175 lb crossbow or 75 lb compound bow would be dangerous, I SAID 20 lbs TO 35 lbs. IT IS ONLY DANGEROUS WHEN USED OR MADE INCORRECTLY. Stop flaming me because you guys don't know basic safety skills.
~Br1

#7 TheNerfLoki

TheNerfLoki

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:22 PM

Can someone close this. Please. He isn't getting the message.
Am I the only one who uses the sig function for a sig?
TNL,

#8 Arconious

Arconious

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:30 PM

What happens if the foam comes off in mid flight and you put an arrow through somebodies kidney. To put this flatly, it is a very stupid idea that has been posted here before, hell, the old topic is still on the first page. It was shut down because of the same reason this will be, it is very unsafe, and very stupid.

#9 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

What happens if the foam comes off in mid flight and you put an arrow through somebodies kidney. To put this flatly, it is a very stupid idea that has been posted here before, hell, the old topic is still on the first page. It was shut down because of the same reason this will be, it is very unsafe, and very stupid.

It's extremely hard to pull the foam off letalone have it come of in mid-air

#10 Arconious

Arconious

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:41 PM

Well, when you put an arrow through your buddies kidney, just remember that I told you so.

Bows and arrows are meant to kill, no amount of foam will change that.

Time for you to get gutted like a fish by the efficient modding crew.

#11 Applefury

Applefury

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:41 PM

I think you are just trying to get out of modding a gun. Regardless of how much foam you put on an arrow I nor most people on this forums will let you shoot us with your bow. End of story.
QUOTE(Gamefreak @ Sep 29 2008, 07:03 PM) View Post

Since you're too young to get a hotel, you should look around, maybe check some aim chatrooms.
Theres alot of really friendly, nice people out there, that'd be more than willing to accomodate a young boy.

#12 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:46 PM

The problem with this is fairly simple. Bows are weapons, nerf guns are toys. None of the organizers I know, myself included, would ever allow an actual weapon at a nerf war.

That said, while a topic about bows as nerf weapons is somewhat dangerous, a topic about bows themselves is not something so offensive as to need to be closed. I'm going to move this to the off-topic section and request that you not encourage anyone to shoot other people with these things. If you'd like to post a topic in homemades about creating them as target weapons, I'm fine with that.

#13 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:00 PM

Edit: hereticorp, is the 175 pound compound bow a typo or joke?

EDITED: Typo, the last bow I owned was an adjustable compound that could be set anywhere from 50-100lb draw.

There's really no way to make that safe, even the 45lb recurve that I had as a kid wouldn't have been safe.

Apparently no one believes me still. Hereticorp said that a 175 lb crossbow or 75 lb compound bow would be dangerous, I SAID 20 lbs TO 35 lbs. IT IS ONLY DANGEROUS WHEN USED OR MADE INCORRECTLY. Stop flaming me because you guys don't know basic safety skills.
~Br1

1. I said nothing about a fucking crossbow. I said a 175lb draw Compound bow. EDIT: Memory Fault, 50-100lb Draw Compound. NOT 175.

2. I said that when you said "Bow and Arrow" that was my immediate thought, not that you were using it.

3. A 25-35lb draw bow is still dangerous no matter how much you want to delude yourself about it not being.

4. NO WAR IS GOING TO ALLOW A BOW AND ARROW. Like previous posters said, they ban Singled Titans and BBBBs, why the fuck would they allow a Bow and arrow?

5. "Basic Safety Skills" means not bringing real weapons to a nerf war. The police can get involved at that point and you'll be seriously fucked. I don't care how much foam you put on an arrow, it is a REAL WEAPON. Nerf guns are TOYS.

6. "Basic Safety Skills" also means not pointing a deadly weapon at someone unless you intend them serious harm. I don't give a fuck if it's a 10lb draw bow, I had a 10lb draw bow pointed at me with a target arrow knocked and drawn when I was at boy scout camp about 16 years ago, it scared the shit out of me. A bow and arrow is a deadly weapon, period. Shooting it at someone else is stupid, dangerous and a seriously bad idea.

7. On that subject, a gun loaded with rubber bullets is supposed to just cause pain and not death, so is a shotgun loaded with a beanbag instead of shot or a shell. They're both deadly in the right circumstances. So is an arrow covered with foam. No matter how you pretend it's not, an arrow covered with foam is a potentially deadly weapon. Period.

Edited by hereticorp, 29 December 2008 - 01:20 PM.

#14 Arconious

Arconious

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:07 PM

That must have been a bitch to pull back. It must have had something to reduce the force you need to pull back. Very few people I've ever met could even pull back 90.

An arrow at that velocity will blast itself into dust if it his plywood. So, Yeah, I don't think you could ever get enough foam with that.

Still got it?

#15 Vistagecko

Vistagecko

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:17 PM

I've had screw on arrow tips fly off in mid air. I doubt any amount of glue or whatever your using to secure the foam down will hold up shot after shot.

We understand that 25-30lb is weak, but keep in mind 45 lb is enough to take out small game. Hell I even killed a squirrel with my 35 lb compound bow. If you want to use bows to fire foam arrows, do it with your friends, because no sane nerfer would let you shoot them.

Edit: Hereticorp, 175 lb cmpound bow? My crossbow is a 150 lb and that is a workout t pull back, when I'm standing on the steel limbs and pulling up with all my might.

Edited by Vistagecko, 29 December 2008 - 01:22 PM.

QUOTE(The Kart Racing Nerf Man @ May 6 2009, 07:31 PM) View Post

I lubed it again and again, I don't see what an extra 2 centimeters does. I don't think I will cut it off.
BMX Forum

#16 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:18 PM

That must have been a bitch to pull back. It must have had something to reduce the force you need to pull back. Very few people I've ever met could even pull back 90.

An arrow at that velocity will blast itself into dust if it his plywood. So, Yeah, I don't think you could ever get enough foam with that.

Still got it?

It was a compound, so the max force was only required for a very small amount of time. I had it set around 70 for most of the time I had it, I only cranked it up when I was in my weightlifting phase and had the arm strength to do it.

Yeah, I bent quite a few arrows, never used fiberglass or wood for obvious reasons. Punches through bone pretty good though.

Nah, I sold it a while ago when I stopped going out with it, just don't have any interest anymore.

#17 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:25 PM

This is pointless. He'd been told that further discussion of a bow being shot at another human being is not going to be permitted. At this point in time I'd be closing the topic not because of his persistance, but because of everyone elses'. That's not really fair. I'd be more equitable to just start muting people.

#18 Arconious

Arconious

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:26 PM

Still, that would be a bitch. I might be able to do it if I get in shape, but right now, it would be insane to try. Usually when I see somebody try to pull back a 90 they get about halfway before they can't go any more.

When I was younger my dad was shooting his 90 lb compound at a target that was backed in plywood. He thought the arrows were going through when they were just becoming very small peices. He only did that once. XD.

Well, thats the point in life isn't it, enjoy things while you do, then move on when you don't.

#19 Gunhaver

Gunhaver

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:13 PM

Well I guess the next logical step would be to use firearms, but replace the metal bullets with foam ones; thus making it completely safe.

/Sarcasm.

I once took an old compound bow and stuck a foam rocket on the end of an arrow and went out to the archery range just for fun. After a couple of hits on the target the aluminum arrow shaft began to force its way through the front of the rocket. The lesson is that bows transfer a lot of kinetic energy into a projectile and even if you were using a blunt or soft tip, the shaft itself still carries energy and could do damage to what ever it hits.

Some hobbies were never meant to be combined; like Skeet Shooting and Surfing.

#20 UpperHand

UpperHand

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:28 PM

Wait, you're padding real arrows? Really? That's retarded. The only thing you might be able to do with a bow is somehow use it to pull back a plunger, which would work like a springer.
My SCR-6
My Homemade Sidearm
The least you could do is tell me some advice. geese!

-- Headshot 21

#21 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:52 PM

I think you are just trying to get out of modding a gun. Regardless of how much foam you put on an arrow I nor most people on this forums will let you shoot us with your bow. End of story.

I am not trying to get out of modding a gun, I've modded quite a few guns, I just like archery more than firearms, or guns, or blasters.

#22 Gunhaver

Gunhaver

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:14 AM

I am not trying to get out of modding a gun, I've modded quite a few guns, I just like archery more than firearms, or guns, or blasters.

Sorry buddy go do archery if you want to use your real bows or as the parallel thread is showing us a nerf bow and mod it a bit. But no one in their right mind is going to want to be on the receiving end of what you are describing it. What you do with your own time is your own business but don't expect us to play with you.

#23 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:24 AM

Wow you are an extreme jackass. You are going to get someone killed when the foam comes off of one of the arrows.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#24 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:55 AM

Wow you are an extreme jackass. You are going to get someone killed when the foam comes off of one of the arrows.

You seem to feel compelled to post pointlessly in every topic you see. It's fucking annoying. This situation was handled 6 posts ago.

Just slow down. Don't post unless you have something novel or useful to add to the conversation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users