Newbie Prep

Newbie needs some advice for nerf war prep

24 replies to this topic

#1 L3G10N

L3G10N

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:36 PM

I'm new to the nerfing world, or at least the modding part of it. I have a about 10 guns and about half of them are modded. My favorite is my Nitefinder (minimized, spring replacement, ar removal) it gets 60-70 with taggers (don't flame me on the ranges they are angled and I measured with footsteps). That is probably my best gun. But, from what I read it classifys as a secondary at best (correct me if I am wrong). I would love if a more experienced member could tell me what I should be bringing to wars. Also another note I don't make stefans yet (I am working on the Captin Slug method). I have heard 150-200 darts are good but I only have about 100 stock darts (40 taggers 20 streamline 40 suctions) how should I prepare for my first war?

Thanks
-L3G10N

Edited by L3G10N, 23 December 2008 - 04:37 PM.

Or my personal favorite, the mini butane blow torch! That will thing will remove the gay from of Clay Aiken.
-Banshee

#2 silentsnipe

silentsnipe

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:39 PM

Bring a good primary with good ROF.

Bring a good sidearm with OK ROF. But good would be better.

Welcome to the 'haven!
And it's absolutely rated R for the violence. Also boobies. And pee pees.

Talio.

Join TheNerfFreaks.forumotion.com TODAY!

#3 L3G10N

L3G10N

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:44 PM

Thanks for the welcome. May I ask what classifys good? I have a stock longshot with a cheap foregrip and a interesting clip mod (don't have my camera working so I can't show it quite yet). I'm kind of cheap so I don't like modding my longshot and magstrike because I am so new at this. I was thinking a hornet a RF20 or a modded bbb (barrel addition that sorta thing) what do you think?
Or my personal favorite, the mini butane blow torch! That will thing will remove the gay from of Clay Aiken.
-Banshee

#4 silentsnipe

silentsnipe

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for the welcome. May I ask what classifys good? I have a stock longshot with a cheap foregrip and a interesting clip mod (don't have my camera working so I can't show it quite yet). I'm kind of cheap so I don't like modding my longshot and magstrike because I am so new at this. I was thinking a hornet a RF20 or a modded bbb (barrel addition that sorta thing) what do you think?

The BBB is a great gun. Get's great ranges. That could be a primary. But it dosen't have that good of ROF. You could mod the longshot. Then you'll own. For secondarys, probably a nightfinder or something kind of like that.
And it's absolutely rated R for the violence. Also boobies. And pee pees.

Talio.

Join TheNerfFreaks.forumotion.com TODAY!

#5 CrazyIvan VI

CrazyIvan VI

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

Never post angled ranges. And never post ranges angled with Steps.

Post ranges measured with a tape measure, or don't post them at all.

I wouldn't bother with stock darts. Unless you buy some weights and make them into Converted Dart Tag Darts, they're really no use to you at any ranges past 40', they're just too unpredictable.
I get all giddy when I see VACC browsing a stupid topic. I just know someone is going to get banned.

#6 L3G10N

L3G10N

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:56 PM

Ok thanks for the help.

I don't have the bbb yet but how easy is the barrel addition mod (adding the barrel to the bow) I also have a double nitefinder that shoots like 50s so I think that will be my secondary but we shall see (because then, like you said, no ROF).

p.s. sorry bout the ranges (its 50s flat with taggers for the mini nitefinder and 40 flat with the double nitefinder

again thanks for the help crazyIvan VI

Edited by L3G10N, 23 December 2008 - 04:58 PM.

-Banshee

#7 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:05 PM

I honestly have not been to wars other than the weekly six-people ones in my backyard.

One rule is universal: Don't shoot your teammates, especially if they aren't your friend.
Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 14 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

Damn it Foamfoot. Why is it that you kill every good topic with a retarded response a few days late.

#8 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:05 PM

They way most people play is with a Primary with one good shot (+bow, crossbow, Big Blast, bbb works here). Rate of fire doesn't particularly matter here. And then they carry a side arm for back up if they're rushing or being rushed. Your NF would work just fine. Beyond that and about 100 stefans, you don't need much. In short, 100 Slug darts, a barrel replaced bbb, and your nf and you'll be alright. After your first or second war, you can start to see your play style, and pick and mod your weapons accordingly.
Teehee.

#9 L3G10N

L3G10N

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:07 PM

Very nicely put foamfoot I am in the same boat cept I am not "6'5" but I am "fucking gorgeous"

p.s. thanks splitlip I will do the bbb mod then

Edited by L3G10N, 23 December 2008 - 05:09 PM.

-Banshee

#10 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:14 PM

What specific BBB mod are you doing? I would recommend a coupler mod + flip breech. I'm almost positive there's a writeup somewhere on this site if you look around a bit. Much better ROF once you get used to it.

#11 boom

boom

• Banned
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:30 PM

http://nerfhaven.com...&hl=bbb coupler

theres a link for a bbb mod.
I'm just the scitzophrenic clusterfuck of randomness that is me.

#12 L3G10N

L3G10N

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:32 PM

Is that an "easy" mod? Like I said in the opening I am fairly new to nerfing and I am afraid I would mess up the internals of the gun. However, I am much more comfortable wasting $20 on a bbb than $35 on a longshot especially if I can get the bow to shoot 10 feet farther and shoot more acuratly

thanks boom but it says that all the images are deleted...

Edited by L3G10N, 23 December 2008 - 05:33 PM.

-Banshee

#13 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:43 PM

Welcome to the Haven.

A well-modded NF will take you far in life (1st Gen NF's are my personal favorite), but you will probably want a more reliable primary. A good starter that's already been mentioned is a BBB. It's fairly easy to mod, spring powered, and has the capacity to do integrations further down the road if you so choose. Another decent primary is an AT2K: its small, light weight, fairly easy to mod and still packs a punch.

If you're just doing this with less than 10 people, then 100 washer-tip Slug style darts will be more than sufficient. If and when you go to a NIC-organized war, you might want to bring 150-200.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#14 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:44 PM

Very nicely put foamfoot I am in the same boat cept I am not "6'5" but I am "fucking gorgeous"

I pity your shortness.

Read this.

Edited by Foamfoot, 23 December 2008 - 05:44 PM.

Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread

Damn it Foamfoot. Why is it that you kill every good topic with a retarded response a few days late.

#15 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:44 PM

Is that an "easy" mod? Like I said in the opening I am fairly new to nerfing and I am afraid I would mess up the internals of the gun. However, I am much more comfortable wasting $20 on a bbb than $35 on a longshot especially if I can get the bow to shoot 10 feet farther and shoot more acuratly

thanks boom but it says that all the images are deleted...

It took me about 20 minutes to do. It will also depend on what tools you have though. A dremel and cut off disk will speed this up greatly.

EDIT: PM sam too, he probably still has the pictures around somewhere for that writeup. If you ask nicely maybe he will fix them.

Edited by analogkid, 23 December 2008 - 05:46 PM.

#16 L3G10N

L3G10N

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:12 PM

Thank you all

Groove: I am so happy I got a "certified badass" on my topic in a little less than 2 hours

Foamfoot: I appreciate the pity and I have read over the "read this"

analogkid: I thank you for the breech add-on

Boom: thanks for the link

Merry Christmas to all ,or Happy Holidays (don't want to cause a religous debate with those who have much more effiecent items of plastic death then myself)
-Banshee

#17 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:45 PM

I would still stick by a BBBB with a coupler.
for a decent primary

EDIT: Wait until you go to the GTA, thousands of different cultures.
EDIT 2: THE GTA is the Greater Toronto Area (Canada), Just for you Americans

Edited by k9turrent, 23 December 2008 - 06:52 PM.

QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#18 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:08 PM

Ever been to Seattle?

Edited by Foamfoot, 23 December 2008 - 08:06 PM.

Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread

#19 Shadowblade

Shadowblade

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

You could mod the longshot. Then you'll own.

I object. The good primaries have already been mentioned (BBB, LBB/BBBB, AT2K, etc.), but showing up with a longshot will get you outranged in no time. Unless you angel breech it, it will not be worth your time/money and from what I've heard, even an angel'd LS can be picky with stefans. Silentsnipe, you will not own with a LS (unless you are playing HvZ or you are the legendary messiah), trust me.
Proverbs says, "The wise man doth not shoot the Viking in the ding ding for he shall pummel thee."

But you can totally shoot Vacc there, he loves it!

~Talio

#20 Firefox551

Firefox551

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:25 PM

You could mod the longshot. Then you'll own.

I object. The good primaries have already been mentioned (BBB, LBB/BBBB, AT2K, etc.), but showing up with a longshot will get you outranged in no time. Unless you angel breech it, it will not be worth your time/money and from what I've heard, even an angel'd LS can be picky with stefans. Silentsnipe, you will not own with a LS (unless you are playing HvZ or you are the legendary messiah), trust me.

I agree with this, unless you decide to single it and smoosh it together with a titan like BlaskSunshine (as well as yours truely) did. Only then will you truly own. Oh, and if you do a RSCB clip mod to a BBBB then you will also own.
"Whats algebra? I like pudding." - My friend Luke

"We have to remember what we all have in common, and why we are here. Our shared love of shooting things, and each other with little foam darts." - Niaja Blue

#21 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:05 AM

Listen to what Groove and Splitlip said. They have been to nerf wars and have succeeded in that environment. If I see anyone else suggest a longshot for someone's first big war, I am going to make a voodoo doll of that person, and give it testicular cancer. You have been warned.

VACC

#22 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

As far as guns go, I suggest a longshot for your first war.

I feel some sort of pressure sensation in my balls...

Edited by Foamfoot, 24 December 2008 - 11:46 AM.

Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread

#23 L3G10N

L3G10N

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:15 PM

Then for lack of a better reason besides simplicity and saving my balls I'll go out buy a bbb and mod it for my primary and I'll stick with my 1st gen nitefinder as my secondary. I'll also see if I can snag an AT2K and see what I can do with that. Thank you all for the help

Happy Holidays

Edited by L3G10N, 24 December 2008 - 12:17 PM.

-Banshee

#24 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:17 PM

Then for lack of a better reason besides simplicity and saving my balls I'll go out buy a bbb and mod it for my primary and I'll stick with my 1st gen nitefinder as my secondary thank you all for the help

Happy Holidays

In all seriousness, if you can find a big salvo for $20 or less, buy it. It is very good.
Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread

#25 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:20 PM

Ever been to Seattle?

*cough* Shadowrun *cough*

Not quite to that point yet, but Seattle is getting there.

On topic: The Big Salvo is probably still my favorite primary. Barrels are easy to mod, and even without plugging the pump (which is kind of a bitch), you still get 80' ranges. With four shots. It's pretty awesome. I have four. :)
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users