Prototype Air Powered Longshot

Yes, it does work.

6 replies to this topic

#1 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:26 AM

The Prototype Air Powered Longshot. In general, the internals consist of a Big Salvo air tank, a Hornet blast button, 1/4'' OD Vinyl Tubing, and a Nightfinder plunger chamber capped with the Hornet's extra check valve.

Posted Image

BACKSTORY/IDEA (If you don't give a care about how or why I came up with this crazy idea, then skip this section)

Ever since I got my Longshot I've been messing around with it's internals... it was all going pretty well until.. my bolt sled snapped. I tried to repair it but it wasn't working. It was because I didn't properly JB weld it togeather, so it was under constant strain even when I wasn't firing my gun... I fixed it temporarly using Ice's no-boltsled method. But I was not satsified with that.

So I have been having ideas of making the longshot into a compressed air gun for awhile. I first thought about using a AT2k or SM1.5k air tank, but that wouldn't work because I wanted the air tank to move with the bolt sled for POSSIBLE usage with clips. Though I never intended this first prototype to use clips, mainly because I have no way of replicating the parts needed that I screwed up. ;) But I wanted to make this idea so you could adapt it to use clips eventually. So I thought about my lone BS airtank that was lonely in my parts bin, the airtank I chose NOT to include into my Maverlous salvo. At first I thought about putting it into the LS plunger tube, because I found that it fit inside nicely. But then I didn't want to scraifice ANOTHER LS part, so I decided to work without it.

So I got the air tank... but what about the trigger and air pump? I definetly was not going to use my SMDTG trigger for a single airtank gun, and I recently have torn apart my Hornet's internals to get at the nice complex bits and I was able to get the extra check valve and 3 blast triggers from it. Those hornet triggers are what make it all possible.

THE MOD

Please, only do this mod if you have alot of time to kill and have a Longshot, and/or a dissassembled Hornet and/or the crazies like I have. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Ok, so here's the overview of the internals of the beast:

Posted Image

As you can see from left to right, the CPVC coupler connecting the air tank to the barrel, the NF pump, extra tubing I had to buy to connect the pump to the trigger, the Big Salvo air tank, and the trigger itself.

I REALLY wish I got pictures of how I constructed the NF plunger-pump. Basically I had this NF plunger that was beyond repair, I rather not talk about it, and I had a extra plunger chamber to go with it. I found out that with one of the NF's plunger tube head rings the Hornet's extra check valve, which I REALLY wish I got a pic of it alone. It's the check valve in between the Hornet's pump and the firing control system in the front. So I gooped it all togeather and it's been working wonderfully as pump.

I drilled the back of the plunger rod to accept the orange LS stick-cocker thing I forget the name of.

Posted Image

Crap, that pic turned out worse than I expected... anyways. That's the plunger I am using. You can almost see the hole in the back..

I'll finish the rest of this later..

*Explain why the hose sticks out the back/top*

*Explain the Hornet's Blast Trigger Dohicky, and also how you don't know why it works*

RESULTS

The NF-Pump isn't working as well ergonomically as I hoped. It's REALLY annoying to pump FORWARDS instead of the normal BACKWARDS. Plus you really have to use two hands for it also. A better idea would be to use a regular-style pump in the front which would also free up the magazine well for magazine usage.

I have NOT been able to get accurate ranges, I haven't even been outside with this gun yet. But it's definetly not war worthy yet. If it ever will is yet to be seen also.. but I'm optimistic. It does clear 30' decently.

DIFFICULTY : You have to be INSANE to try this. Like me.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#2 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:09 AM

So, wait, are you trying to make a pump out of a NF plunger tube? Why not use an actual pump? It will be much easier on you.

#3 jerm78

jerm78

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:09 PM

Thats a cool setup, I got a 3k in the longshot I'm working on but it still has the clip. I will post mine when its done.

#4 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:34 PM

So, wait, are you trying to make a pump out of a NF plunger tube? Why not use an actual pump? It will be much easier on you.

Because I had a damaged NF plunger that will never be able to be used in a NF again and it fit really well in the LS to be used with the LS's cocking rod. It just turned out pumping it forward was alot harder than it sounded like..

Thats a cool setup, I got a 3k in the longshot I'm working on but it still has the clip. I will post mine when its done.

Sweet, how are you doing the bolt though? How are you connecting the barrel with the 3k airtank?
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#5 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:13 PM

Because I had a damaged NF plunger that will never be able to be used in a NF again and it fit really well in the LS to be used with the LS's cocking rod. It just turned out pumping it forward was alot harder than it sounded like..

I thought it would; thanks for that info. Love the mod. I really like how you made the pump with the hornet's check valve.
Teehee.

#6 amerikanidiot154

amerikanidiot154

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:38 PM

I like the paint job.
You'll laugh your dick off

He'd make a great candidate for smear the queer. Give him an eliminator and set him free.~BladeMaster:NHQ

#7 Gearmonkey

Gearmonkey

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:20 PM

This has so much potential. Imagine an extended pump in place of the crappy nf pump (no offence, but a different pump would work better) put in a pro-clip location. BTW, that pj is awesome on a stick!
I need a loser rifle not a loser rifle, what the hell did i type loser

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users