Photo

Help With Broken Sm1500

11 replies to this topic

#1 Bolanga24

Bolanga24

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 07:36 PM

Ive got an old school sm1500 that's got an incredibly small hole in the orange air storage thing. Its so small that the only way I knew where the hole was was to put it under water, pump it, and see where the bubbles came from. THen, I covered it with epoxy, let it sit overnight, and the next day it still leaked air (after I pumped it twice). Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 07:48 PM

Use Plumber's Goop.

Posted Image
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#3 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 08:03 PM

Your pic doesn't work Grinch.

EDIT: Weird, now it does. Sorry ^_^

Edited by Nerfer16, 26 January 2004 - 08:04 PM.

Nerfer16 of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team
Nerf on!

#4 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 08:21 PM

On the topic of old 1500s...where the hell is that air release valve?
Spectre of the CFM

#5 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 26 January 2004 - 08:32 PM

Bolanga, you do realize the exterior orange tank is purely cosmetic and you have to open the gun and that the actual air tank is a white plastic. If the leak is comming out where the pin valve is on the back of the tank you are screwed. Good luck.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#6 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 09:34 PM

Alright, I found the pressure release valve and covered it up. I pumped it up about 3 times and heard the air tank crack. No leakage, but I'm wondering how many pumps it can take without reinforcement. Also, what would be good to reinforce it with, and where would the reinforcement go?
Spectre of the CFM

#7 racoon

racoon

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 01:40 AM

I'm not really good at modding, and I don't know if some genius found the stefan's-equivalent-to tank reinforcement, but I don't think that can be done more easily then just a larger tank. Do the internals of the SM1500 permit a larger air tank? Else, if it's always done that, you're screwed. If it didn't, hold it under water and pump, just like you'd do with a bike tire. Bubbles will come up where the leak is.

#8 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 03:54 AM

You have to remember that a higher volume of air will not mean you can achieve more pressure. Therefore, assuming you have a standard-sized barrel, more air coming out of the tank will not help the distance. It's still the same amount of pressure, and it takes longer to pump it up all the way.

Now, as far as air tank re-inforcement... A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, therefore no matter how much copper wire, titanium alloy, or plumber's goop you cover your valve with, it will still have a place where the tank could burst. I know that I'm a little paranoid and I like to drizzle plumber's goop down the crevasse between the pump and air tank, because it's thin and it always seems like it's that spot that leaks. Other than that sort of thing, I wouldn't advise. This means, no hose clamps.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#9 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:59 AM

Alright, well it doesn't leak. I just pumped it thrice and heard the tank crack. I'm assuming it was from strain. Are there any similarly sized air tanks that can hold more pressure? Also, what would be better to replace the barrels with? CPVC, brass, or PETG?
Spectre of the CFM

#10 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 11:27 AM

My Sm1500 had no tank reinforcement, and after about 2 months of using it, the part where the hose connect to the tank violently exploded off. I guess SM1500 just have weak airtanks. I am planning to replace it with a homemade PVC tank, cuz PVC is really good at holding pressurized air. Has anyone else tried to replace their sm1500 tank?

For your barrel replacement, PETG would be good if it was automatic rotating, but since it isn't, brass is your best bet. CPVC seems to be too tight for my darts, could be different for yours though.
Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#11 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 11:30 AM

Well I'll see how darts fit in CPVC (I'm getting some tonight for free, can't hurt to try). Where would you get brass? I think I saw someone say a hobby shop, just making sure.
Spectre of the CFM

#12 Bolanga24

Bolanga24

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I haven't tried replacing the air tank in my sm1500. But, if the plumbers goop doesnt work I may try prelacing it with pvc or somethin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users