Inline Clip?

How do they work.

18 replies to this topic

#1 Firefox551

Firefox551

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:21 PM

I did search, and yes found many articles and even a writeup involving inline clips. None of these, however, gave a discription of how the clip actually functions. It doesn't seem to me to have any obviouse system. If someone could link me to an article I might have missed or just tell me here that would be most apreciated.
"Whats algebra? I like pudding." - My friend Luke

"We have to remember what we all have in common, and why we are here. Our shared love of shooting things, and each other with little foam darts." - Niaja Blue

#2 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:27 PM

Picture it as a telescoping barrel, except in reverse: instead of going from a really-tight fit to a somewhat-loose fit, you are going from a really-loose fit to a proper fit.

Let's say you want your barrel material to be CPVC, because it fits your darts "just perfect" The thing to do would be to nest that into some 1/2" PVC, or even some 1/2" thinwall PVC; either way, there is going to be plenty of room between the dart and the PVC.

Make sure, when nesting, that you only put the CPVC a few inches into the PVC. Leave several inches of PVC "un-nested" like so:

(where ___ is PVC, ... is nothing, and --- is CPVC)

To load, you put several stefans into the PVC (where the ... are, above). Before firing, you prime your weapon (pump or cock), then shake the barrel down in order to have one dart be pushed slightly into the CPVC.

Even though the dart isn't pushed all the way into the CPVC, it's enough to create a fairly good seal.

When you pull the trigger, the compressed air moves past the darts in the "clip area" (where ... are) and pushes the front-most dart (the one creating a seal) through and out the CPVC barrel.

Before firing again, you'll need to shake the barrel down again in order to make the next dart create a seal.

Then lather, rinse, and continue to repeat.

The upside is that the whole thing is fairly reliable; there's no breech to jam. The downside is that the clip creates deadspace...which decreases range (though not necessarily a ton). That's why people mostly use them on fairly high-powered blasters, like AT2ks or the SNAP series. When you put an inline clip on those, you get a moderately-ranged, high-ROF blaster when compared to their "singled" forms.

This is a good explanation. By the way, I found this in under 1 minute by searching.

Also, here is the link to the entire thread. Link

#3 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:51 PM

This is a good explanation. By the way, I found this in under 1 minute by searching.

Also, here is the link to the entire thread. Link

Pwn... Even though the search function is a piece of shit, sometimes it actually gives you what you're looking for, so use it.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#4 Firefox551

Firefox551

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

Ok, thanks much. I may just try one of these, they seem very useful.

"We have to remember what we all have in common, and why we are here. Our shared love of shooting things, and each other with little foam darts." - Niaja Blue

#5 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:06 PM

Oh hell yeah they are. I love my RSCP'd AT2k, RSCP is basically a offset Inline-Clip. It works the same way but before the barrel it has a T coupler. They are very effective. :D
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#6 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:15 PM

Oh hell yeah they are. I love my RSCP'd AT2k, RSCP is basically a offset Inline-Clip. It works the same way but before the barrel it has a T coupler. They are very effective. :D

Im having some trouble with my Inline clip. I am using SCH40 Half inch PVC to Half in CPVC. My clip can hold 4 rounds and it shoots 2 at a time all the time, the first only going a few feet, and the other shooting about 80... what am I doing wrong?
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#7 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:32 PM

How does your darts fit CPVC? If it's really loose then that might explain that. If they are only slightly loose, then do your use 1/4'' weights for your stafans?
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#8 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:59 PM

How does your darts fit CPVC? If it's really loose then that might explain that. If they are only slightly loose, then do your use 1/4'' weights for your stafans?

I use copper BBs and my darts are extremely tight in CPVC. Im using my really high powered SNAP

#9 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:01 PM

For cpvc, I get a huge increase in reliability by carving the back of the barrel out to form a bit of a ramp to guide the darts in.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#10 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:06 PM

For cpvc, I get a huge increase in reliability by carving the back of the barrel out to form a bit of a ramp to guide the darts in.

did that. it may just be something I have to work out. its weird. it just always fires two rounds.

#11 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:12 PM

How much "rattling room" are you giving the darts? Does using only 3 help at all?
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#12 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:23 PM

How much "rattling room" are you giving the darts? Does using only 3 help at all?

was jamming em in pretty tight. Might be my problem. I'll check tomorrow.

#13 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:25 PM

Yeah, I find that they like a dart length (or a bit under) of empty space. Credit for this particular pearl of wisdom goes to Carbon, of course.

#14 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:27 PM

Yeah, I find that they like a dart length (or a bit under) of empty space. Credit for this particular pearl of wisdom goes to Carbon, of course.

interesting. I will try it tomorrow. That sounds like it will work better, thank you for relaying the wise words of Carbon to me.

#15 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:42 PM

It's true that "rattling space" is helpful, but if that were the only case, then your second two darts shouldn't have double fired because of the extra room. In playing around with inlines, I'm also beginning to think that there's a relationship between plunger volume and useful inline length. In my two blasters with extra long inlines (6 shots), I almost never have double shots. On the SNAP-5, which has a 3 shot clip, I have a large number of double fires. This requires some testing when it's finally warm out again....

Another possible solution to the double fire issue: I use a trick that Frost Vectron used on his Razorbeast, and slip a small length of metal tubing into the the clip. This gives a bit more mass behind the darts, and helps seat the first dart better. Between that and tippbing the blaster backwards before firing seems to eliminated the problem. I had almost no problems with double fires last summer.

Edited by Carbon, 17 December 2008 - 11:43 PM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#16 orogomi ninja

orogomi ninja

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:08 AM

Thanks for the explanation! I hate being terminologically confused.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 23 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Thats the way I do it. Use a rag with some light fast rubbing.

Sometimes I hate my uncontrollable imagination....

#17 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:49 PM

It's true that "rattling space" is helpful, but if that were the only case, then your second two darts shouldn't have double fired because of the extra room. In playing around with inlines, I'm also beginning to think that there's a relationship between plunger volume and useful inline length. In my two blasters with extra long inlines (6 shots), I almost never have double shots. On the SNAP-5, which has a 3 shot clip, I have a large number of double fires. This requires some testing when it's finally warm out again....

Another possible solution to the double fire issue: I use a trick that Frost Vectron used on his Razorbeast, and slip a small length of metal tubing into the the clip. This gives a bit more mass behind the darts, and helps seat the first dart better. Between that and tippbing the blaster backwards before firing seems to eliminated the problem. I had almost no problems with double fires last summer.

Not a bad idea, but even with the rattle room, when I tested it today, I would fire the first dart fine, then no matter what, i would get a double fire. I didn't have that problem when I was using the really small inline clip i had (two darts) so its just been really weird. Thanks for the help Carbon. Just means i got to fiddle with it.

#18 Firefox551

Firefox551

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

Sorry guys, just two more questions. What kinds of pipe should I use to fit CPVC into, and will this type of clip be effective on a BBBB? In the writeups it says 1/2 PVC, but that doesn't fit CPVC, am I just missing something? I know that 3/4 PVC fits it, but that is very large for a stephan.

Edited by Firefox551, 18 December 2008 - 04:54 PM.

#19 minsc

minsc

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:13 PM

BBBBs are good candidates for both inline and rscb clips, based on what I've read. These clips require a gun that delivers a large amount of air, and virtually all large air guns will do the job. 1/2 PVC couplers fit with some hammering very well over CPVC couplers, so take a coupler and glue it onto your tee. Good luck with your plans.
QUOTE(Zorn's Lemma @ Jul 25 2010, 12:18 AM) View Post

You'll do a lot better if you spread the lips with the front. Trying to wriggle the back in there first seems a bit counterintuitive.

RSCBow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users