Matarials Of Mystery?

idk if they exsist...

8 replies to this topic

#1 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:52 PM

-Has anyone ever found CPVC that will fit into THICK WALLED 1/2 in PVC??? if so will it be availabe at lowes???
-Are there any springs that may fit INSIDE "said" thick walled 1/2 in PVC?

Already searched... so don't say ANYTHING about "did you search it yet?" or anything like that

Thanks in advance
SoothSayer-

"Just adding some lube and twisting it back and forth for a while should make it easier"

Subscribe to my Music page and mods >> http://www.youtube.com/user/OnyxMP312

#2 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:58 PM

Wait... what?

Thick walled. Like, SCH80? No, no cpvc will fit it in. Heck, you need e-tape to fit it in thin walled. So no, it just doesn't exist. And the spring, it would simply be too week to have any plunger purposes. Unsell you are making a tube magazine... Hmmmm...
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#3 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:13 PM

-Has anyone ever found CPVC that will fit into THICK WALLED 1/2 in PVC??? if so will it be availabe at lowes??

No, and no.
You can't make a plastic-only breech unless you have access to a lathe.
http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=13096

Hundreds to thousands. But never having tried to buy such spring locally I can't recommend anything. You also didn't even hint at what strength of spring you need.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#4 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:31 PM

-Has anyone ever found CPVC that will fit into THICK WALLED 1/2 in PVC??? if so will it be availabe at lowes??

No, and no.
You can't make a plastic-only breech unless you have access to a lathe.
http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=13096

Hundreds to thousands. But never having tried to buy such spring locally I can't recommend anything. You also didn't even hint at what strength of spring you need.

Okay guys... new info... I checked the pipe I have and it says SCH40... but the wierd thing is... that I have another 1/2 in PVC pipe thats the same OD but the one I currently have is thinker wall than the one downstairs..
SoothSayer-

"Just adding some lube and twisting it back and forth for a while should make it easier"

#5 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:59 PM

Okay guys... new info... I checked the pipe I have and it says SCH40... but the wierd thing is... that I have another 1/2 in PVC pipe thats the same OD but the one I currently have is thinker wall than the one downstairs..

Nothing even slightly weird.

The only "precision" dimension on plastic pipe is the one where it matches up with fittings. In the case of PVC, that's the OD. The ID can and does vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and sometimes even from batch to batch. That is the way it is supposed to be.

well then I must be lucky...in a way.. because this could be a pipe that mutated into perfection! IT FITS MEGA STEFANS LIKE A GLOVE!!! :lol: which are btw 5/8 FBR... and in case if anyone is wondering... the brand for the pipe I;m using... is SilverLine brand (AT YOUR LOCAL LOWE'S...maybe..)
SoothSayer-

#6 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:44 AM

I;m using... is SilverLine brand (AT YOUR LOCAL LOWE'S...maybe..)

Good thing you added that "maybe..." there, because what is true for your location could be completely false for someone even in another city. People keep telling other people ACE Hardware is a GREAT place to get springs, but the ACE near me has crappy springs that don't fit over 1/2'' CPVC and the other ACE nearby doesn't stock ANY SPRINGS AT ALL! Other than a token "Assorted Small Springs Pack". :lol:
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#7 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:36 AM

well then I must be lucky...in a way.. because this could be a pipe that mutated into perfection! IT FITS MEGA STEFANS LIKE A GLOVE!!! :lol: which are btw 5/8 FBR... and in case if anyone is wondering... the brand for the pipe I;m using... is SilverLine brand (AT YOUR LOCAL LOWE'S...maybe..)

Just as an already established side note that should be noted here, Stuff can't really fit like a glove every time. I get my FBR in huge spools, so it'll last me a long time and be consistent. Tubing is a little different, I try to get some PETG, which doesn't vary in OD very much if any, but from what I've heard, pvc can change in ID, wall thickness, and OD pretty easily per batch.
Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 14 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

Damn it Foamfoot. Why is it that you kill every good topic with a retarded response a few days late.

#8 wespelarno

wespelarno

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:58 AM

In australia I have found 15mm PVC that was larger than 20mm PVC. Both were approximately 17mm. We tried fitting it to couplers etc and there was no hope of a real fit. If could achieve better manufacturing tolerances with a decent hobby knife and a block of raw pastic. You guys in the USA have it so good with modding materials. Actually, one benefit to this horrible production tolerance is the occasionaly piece of metric pvc that fits imperial measurement darts perfectly.
Someday, we're gonna break free from these chains and you know, someday, we're gonna dance with those lions

#9 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:37 AM

Depends on how you want them to fit together. If you want them to be able to slide in and out, you're shit out of luck.

Generally, any 1/2" CPVC will fit into 1/2" SCH40 PVC, but it is always an extremely tight and semi-permanent fit. You simply need to slightly sand down the inside of one end of the PVC, and the outside of one end of the CPVC, and take a hammer to it.

Otherwise, if you want to make a breech or something, you'll need to find different materials. Unless you have a lathe, this combination just won't work.

Probably dead by now, or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users