Nerf Pocket Football Bazooka

6' Long, Burst Disk, Soon-to-be co2 powered Cannon

23 replies to this topic

#1 Zer

Zer

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:47 AM

Well I've read through these forums for a couple years now, but this will be my first post.

Recently I got back into Nerf with the advent of the Vulcan. One of my friends got one, and it all went crazy after that. Now our arsenal includes 9 magstrikes, 1 longshot, 1 recon, 2 vulcans, and my trusty lock and load.

We also got our hands on an electric shopping cart and it's currently being "uparmored" with cardboard. Knowing that I'd have to defeat this shopping cart o doom, I set about creating a bazooka.

Posted Image
My Vulcan is next to it for a size reference.

Posted Image
"Cartridge" and mini nerf football "rocket."

Posted Image
Closeup of receiver with rear cover open

Posted Image
Cartridge locked in place, rear cover open.

The barrel is 2" PVC, the receiver is made from a 2" PVC coupler with locking lug recesses cut into it. I nested it within a 3" ABS pipe by heating quartered 1/2" PVC with a torch and rolling it around with a 2" coupler to flatten and shape it so it would fit snugly.

The "cartridge" is made of (from left to right in the 2nd pic):
2" to 1" bushing
screws with cut heads for lucking lugs
1" coupler
2" to 1" bushing
2" PVC expansion chamber
2" endcap
1/4" NPT male fitting with a female/female coupler screwed onto it from the inside

Currently it runs off of my air compressor, but the parts to run it off of Co2 cartridges are coming in the mail. Using a piece of packing tape inside the coupler has reliably fired the bazooka at 90-100 PSI. Range is unknown, as I've only fired it in my garage. Paint is Rustoleum Camo Khaki, Rustoleum Camo Brown, and Krylon flat black.

The ideal projectile for it is the Nerf vortex pocket football, but it will also shoot ballistic balls.

It's my first "home made" so I'll have my flame shield ready.

Edited by Zer, 15 December 2008 - 01:15 AM.

#2 Tornado13

Tornado13

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:51 AM

HOLY FUCK! THAT THING IS A BEAST! :o Really though this has no point except for the awe factor and maybe for scenario play. It was cool that you created it though. All in all that is pretty awesome.

EDIT: Congrats on the first post! Very clean!

Edited by Tornado13, 15 December 2008 - 12:53 AM.

#3 stickfigure91x

stickfigure91x

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:57 AM

We also got our hands on an electric shopping cart and it's currently being "uparmored" with cardboard. Knowing that I'd have to defeat this shopping cart o doom, I set about creating a bazooka.

Anyone else get the image of some fat guy in a rascal at the super market getting seriously owned with this?
The laughing will cease when the effectiveness is proven.

#4 Zer

Zer

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:03 AM

HOLY FUCK! THAT THING IS A BEAST! :o Really though this has no point except for the awe factor and maybe for scenario play. It was cool that you created it though. All in all that is pretty awesome.

EDIT: Congrats on the first post! Very clean!

It is for scenario play, and it is a beast. It's a little over 6' long.

Anyone else get the image of some fat guy in a rascal at the super market getting seriously owned with this?

That's one of the images that inspired me to make it. :o

#5 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:17 AM

:o HOLY CRAP
That think is insanely huge. How much does it weigh when fully loaded?

#6 Radio

Radio

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:22 AM

Ive been WAITING for some one to make a gun that shoots these things. does anyone know how much of a difference the fins make?
November 28, 2008 1:02 Mod/Paintjob thread:
Timmytown: Thank you for taking care of that idiot VACC, fine fine work. (no pic)
VACC: Are you fucking retarded? Goodbye.

How's that for funny Timmytown?
It's like VACC was up early wishing me a happy birthday!

#7 Zer

Zer

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:30 AM

:o HOLY CRAP
That think is insanely huge. How much does it weigh when fully loaded?

It's mostly hollow... so maybe 15 pounds. The "cartridge" weighs about 4 by itself.

Ive been WAITING for some one to make a gun that shoots these things. does anyone know how much of a difference the fins make?

The fins hold it tightly into the receiver until you lock in the cartridge, and the camming action pushes the football forward tightly into the barrel.

#8 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:38 AM

I am. But I'd rather nail one of the football players at Penn State who get a scooter thing whenever they stub their toe because god forbid the football team should ever have to walk anywhere with a hurt little toe.

How is that thing actually fired? Is that massive PVC insert an air tank or what? The idea of having 2-3 extra "rockets" on my back as I shoot this thing at people appeals to my inner sadist.

As for the fins, I would assume they make a huge difference in stabilizing the flight of the football. Anyone who has thrown a regular football and a vortex one can usually get the Vortex to go much, much further. Without the fins, I'd wager that it would fly more like a potato cannon. Plus, the wins make it more like a real rocket, just to appeal to the inner geek in us.
C8H18

#9 Zer

Zer

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:00 AM

How is that thing actually fired? Is that massive PVC insert an air tank or what? The idea of having 2-3 extra "rockets" on my back as I shoot this thing at people appeals to my inner sadist.

It is currently fired from my air compressor. I'm waiting on some fittings and parts to arrive to hook up a 12gram based co2 system.

That PVC bit that goes in the end of it is an expansion tank. the coupler on it unscrews, and you put a piece of ordinary packing tape in there, and close it up. Apply air pressure, and as soon as the tape ruptures from the pressure build up, it shoots. It is a little slow to reload, and realistically will shoot one round per minute.

EDIT:

Just got the latest bits to make it all work... its a chain of adapters that runs off a CO2 bike tire inflator. Off the CO2 tire inflator it goes: 1/16 NPT threaded chunk, 1/16 to 1/8 npt adapter, then 1/8 to 1/4, then a female female 1/4 NPT coupler and finally a 1/4npt to barbed fitting. Did a test fire of the system and the co2 cartridges can fire it.

I'm not sure how many rounds I'll get out of a 12 or 16g cartridge. I don't have a good area to test it. Soon I'll integrate the co2 system onto the gun. The air hose for it is stretching/straightening out in my garage right now.

Edited by Zer, 16 December 2008 - 12:31 AM.

#10 silentsnipe

silentsnipe

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:26 PM

Here is something that's kinda like what you're talking about.

And it's absolutely rated R for the violence. Also boobies. And pee pees.

Talio.

Join TheNerfFreaks.forumotion.com TODAY!

#11 zadjii

zadjii

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:45 PM

I can't possibly be the only one repetitively chanting "WRITE-UP! WRITE-UP!" can I? I love the idea of scenario nerf, even though a lot of people here don't usually appear to. I was going to make something like this for physics class and we were going to have fights trying to hit the other teams target, but this, this is SO much better.
-Cpvc that's been under your home for 10 years can shatter. New Cpvc doesn't, unless you enjoy violently beating your gun on a tree.
-If you could figure out how to strap a Vulcan as a hand replacement, that would be sweet. I would just stop there, and run around calling myself Mega Man.

#12 Zer

Zer

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:02 PM

I can't possibly be the only one repetitively chanting "WRITE-UP! WRITE-UP!" can I? I love the idea of scenario nerf, even though a lot of people here don't usually appear to. I was going to make something like this for physics class and we were going to have fights trying to hit the other teams target, but this, this is SO much better.

The best I can do at this point is a CAD drawing :lol:

For a simple target gun you can use a bike pump and inline sprinkler valve type setup. Easy to do and much more reliable and efficient than a ball valve. Feel free to PM me for more info.

Here is something that's kinda like what you're talking about.

It uses the same projectiles but operates on a completely different concept. I wanted mine to require a two-man crew and a significant downtime for reload. That video does show a really interesting design capable of a very good ROF. That gun in the video utilizes a valved system, whereas mine utilizes a disk of material that ruptures at a fairly consistent PSI.

--------UPDATE---------

Finally range tested the gun. At about a 40 degree angle it shot 145 yards. It gets one shot per 16 gram co2 with a little left over, so I'm thinking a 12 gram will work just fine. Firing/pressurizing delay is about half a second.

Edited by Zer, 19 December 2008 - 11:49 PM.

#13 Ner Commando

Ner Commando

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:15 PM

Holy poop that thing is GINORMOUS. I would not want to be shot at with that thing. That is one sick gun.

#14 Arconious

Arconious

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:08 PM

Isn't CO2 a big problem for plastics though? The low temperatures that are required to make it work cause the plastic to become brittle. Which would cause premature breakage of the gun. Anything with that much work into it would be a pain to replace. A normal paintball air tank would probably be better for the gun. You might want to check with somebody a bit more experienced, but I'm just letting you know it is a possibility.

#15 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:06 PM

Nice gun, but curse you! I was going to go and get some parts for my doom cannon tomorrow. Though I never thought of using shells... interesting idea.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#16 Zer

Zer

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:44 PM

Isn't CO2 a big problem for plastics though? The low temperatures that are required to make it work cause the plastic to become brittle. Which would cause premature breakage of the gun. Anything with that much work into it would be a pain to replace. A normal paintball air tank would probably be better for the gun. You might want to check with somebody a bit more experienced, but I'm just letting you know it is a possibility.

The operating pressure of this cannon is about 100 PSI, which is about a third of what the PVC is rated to. The temperature issue is neglible due to the extremely brief exposure to the CO2. It sees less than half a second of exposure to gaseous CO2, and the length of tubing running up to the burst disk is plenty of room to allow for sublimation if any solid particles of co2 tried to make their way into the PVC section.

The small co2 cartridges I use are only good for one shot because they are rapidly dumped of all gaseous co2. If I left it hooked up and allowed for the entire solid contents to sublime (by somehow leaving the trigger system "on" and keeping the burst disk from breaking), that phase change would result in temperatures about 75* below freezing. PVC exposed to that temperature would become quite brittle.

#17 Arconious

Arconious

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:04 PM

I wasn't worried about the air pressure, PVC can withstand quite a bit of pressure. I suppose you are right, but even brief exposures to the temperature of the CO2 is likely to reduce some of the durability of the gun. Probably not very noticeable. Especially if you have it mounted. But eh, I haven't dealt with CO2 very much.

#18 Grenada

Grenada

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

Was I the only one who thought, and I quote "OMFG, a panzerschrek." Add the face guard, and you have something which would like pretty dang alike. Good paint job too

Seriously, I need to make me one of these things. One of my friends is making a small nerf AFV, and I need something to punch through cardboard

Question:How did you get that awsome paint job?

Edited by Grenada, 27 February 2009 - 09:48 PM.

If you Nerf in western washington, PM me

So you see a penguin walking down the street. Looks harmless right, so you keep on walking past him. You turn around to seem him walk away, only to find yourself staring down the barrel of a .38 revolver.

#19 Nerf Bros

Nerf Bros

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

Was I the only one who thought, and I quote "OMFG, a panzerschrek."

No you are not... that's exactly what i thought, making it into a panzerschrek would look so awesome. You should make a video of you shooting it. I want to see that baby in action.

-nerfbros
We have no sig.

#20 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:57 PM

This topic was pretty old. Try to refrain from posting in 1 moth or older topics... Sorry for the backseat mod.

#21 Robonerfer1

Robonerfer1

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:05 PM

Wow, that's awesome.
The way it loads reminds me of the rocket from Halo.
XBL GT: XPwNaGexDuDex12 add me
QUOTE(OfAllTheNerf @ Mar 29 2008, 04:11 PM) View Post

Yeah, it also helps if your nuts are made of steel. Or atleast as hard as steel, to ensure that you can shoot far enough.

#22 astooo

astooo

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:04 PM

it relly cool but how do you shoot it and whats the point of haveing it when you only have 1 shot then you have to go back to a air compresser. but still cool :lol:

#23 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

I guess someone has been approving new members. Well might as well do my part. He's been banned.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#24 PVC Arsenal 17

PVC Arsenal 17

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:22 PM

Edit: Deleted. Delete this post please. I had a comment to make, and afterwards thought it better not to make it.

Edited by PVC Arsenal 17, 19 January 2010 - 10:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users