Photo

Electronics In Nerf?

8 replies to this topic

#1 racoon

racoon

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 03:52 PM

While doing some sketches on a soon-to-be nerf gun, I was thinking why noone has ever considered using electronics in Nerf. Battery size really isn't a problem: most things I was going to use can be fixed with 12V (8 x 1.5V AA) which in it's turn can easily be worked into the gun.

I was thinking something around the size of an SMG (two-handed). In case you've ever had the chance of holding one of them, a HK MP5-A2 is pretty much what I'm aiming for in size.

The reason that this is superiour is that you have MUCH smaller valves. All you need is a momentary switch, some simple electronics, and a solenoid. I have some electronics worked out that can switch between semi-auto and full-auto firing. I'm not going to post it here (yet) because I fear a) someone will run off with the idea and B) most of you probably haven't seen a boolean schematic :P

Just some design questions:

1) Why the shells? I can imagine that something like caulker rod bends when shot in the barrel and that PVC can hold it. But, shell ejection is pretty darn hard. The only system I can think of would be having an ejection port that is activated in my electronics (actually, it's worked-in atm) and have the spring (or, with a gravity-fed magazine, gravity) push the shell out. I just fear that this will jam a lot.

2) Can't think of any more atm ;)

#2 Lemmypoo

Lemmypoo

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 06:32 PM

While doing some sketches on a soon-to-be nerf gun, I was thinking why noone has ever considered using electronics in Nerf. Battery size really isn't a problem: most things I was going to use can be fixed with 12V (8 x 1.5V AA) which in it's turn can easily be worked into the gun.

I was thinking something around the size of an SMG (two-handed). In case you've ever had the chance of holding one of them, a HK MP5-A2 is pretty much what I'm aiming for in size.

The reason that this is superiour is that you have MUCH smaller valves. All you need is a momentary switch, some simple electronics, and a solenoid. I have some electronics worked out that can switch between semi-auto and full-auto firing. I'm not going to post it here (yet) because I fear a) someone will run off with the idea and B) most of you probably haven't seen a boolean schematic :P

1) Why the shells? I can imagine that something like caulker rod bends when shot in the barrel and that PVC can hold it. But, shell ejection is pretty darn hard. The only system I can think of would be having an ejection port that is activated in my electronics (actually, it's worked-in atm) and have the spring (or, with a gravity-fed magazine, gravity) push the shell out. I just fear that this will jam a lot.

2) Can't think of any more atm ;)

Sounds simple enough. But your weapon is fundamentally flawed. Nobody is going to play against a home-made that is practically airsoft. Perhaps it will fire as gently as a nerf gun, but the rate of fire and controllability basically makes it an AEG.

One other thing, the MP5A2 is a little bit small for this. You could make a bull-pup with the air tank forward of the action. But if it were a bull-pup you would be forced into a low capacity magazine (~15-20).
Conner MacManus: Jesus! He brought a six-shooter!

Murphy MacManus: There were nine of them, you retard! What were you going to do with the last three, laugh them to death? Funny man?

-brothers Macmanus, Boondock Saints

#3 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 10:44 PM

i cant post exact links [but the search function will help [b]you[/b]] but there has been a little bit of thought on the concept of using solenoids paired with electricity...

Lemmypoo was rite in saying that no-one in nerf shall really want to come up against a gun that has a high ROF, and is practically perfect in eevry sense, when they are using low range, low ROF guns that will always live in the shadow of such guns as this and co2.....

option 1) every considered chain feeding it, so that the [motorised of course] chain will extract the shell itself... there, all your problems solved...!!!

the other option is to use a pre-pressurised actual dart, not a shell casing, a foam dart, with its own little air chamber, I KNOW THIS IS HIGHLY IMPRACTICAL, but it can easily solve all your other problems
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#4 racoon

racoon

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 06:53 AM

2) Can't think of any more atm :blush:

Sounds simple enough. But your weapon is fundamentally flawed. Nobody is going to play against a home-made that is practically airsoft. Perhaps it will fire as gently as a nerf gun, but the rate of fire and controllability basically makes it an AEG.

One other thing, the MP5A2 is a little bit small for this. You could make a bull-pup with the air tank forward of the action. But if it were a bull-pup you would be forced into a low capacity magazine (~15-20).

So basically, it'd work, but it'd work *too* good ;) I didn't know airsoft worked exactly like that. I thought it was only remotely similar.

Chain feeding is a *great* idea that I wouldn't have come up with myself. Cool, I'll try to implement that.

The problem is, I don't think it'll be much better then a normal modded nerf gun. Nerf guns have a much smaller jam chance. Plus, ROF wouldn't be THAT much better unless I go with chain feeding. Really, magazine fed with automatic shell ejection is really pretty much infeasible if you want to get it to virtually never jam. I guess the only way to find out is to try it. Living in Antwerp, Belgium, nerfing here is, maybe not specifically unpopular, but definately unknown, so making a gun noone would play against really isn't a problem.

I'm probably going to post on the design of the gun here, and maybe make another thread when it's finished. I don't mind if I'm probably never going to use it in competition. Much more of a proof-of-concept and showing people that make homemades that there is hope, and that cool guns like electronic ones or BoltSniper's one don't have to come out of a box.

On another note, I could imagine chain feeding makes a clip with more then 30 bullets possible.

#5 Ares

Ares

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:26 PM

I was thinking why noone has ever considered using electronics in Nerf

I have. Read previous posts before saying that no-one has done it. Soory if I sound like a renting, raving, poetic soul (which, to some extent, I cannot honestly deny that I am), but that comment just hit the nerve. ("The Nerve" being the lobe in my cerebral cortex that that post triggered into creating an undesirable response). If i get around to it, I'll let you know. I've always hated people whose posts never really had a point, and I ascertain that this is hypocritic ehavior at the instance in this point in time, however, alas, I am too lazy t post my ideas. I I conceive that thou selves are worthy of such a simple yet efficient plan as my own ideas for an electronically-powered "Nerf" gun ("Nerf" meant that aesthetic, rhetorical meaning, not necessarily referring directly to the "Hasbro" sub-divion, but towards the so-called "hobby" of creating and modifying the foam-shooting guns that this sub-division f a large children's toy company has netted into a community, or even perhaps "lifestyle," if you will. The term "franchise" may be a better choice of verbal or written communicative words). If I do percieve you acceptable, than I shall be inclined to post the aformentioned designs (or "plans") for the electronically powered "Nerf" gun on my website soon.
The Greek God of War
Unseen

#6 UpGraD3

UpGraD3

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 09:47 PM

Great idea racoon, even though it would totally own in a war. But when do you think you'll be done? And when you are, are you going to post pics?
"Is luck a loser's excuse for a winners position?"

#7 racoon

racoon

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:41 AM

I was thinking why noone has ever considered using electronics in Nerf

I have. Read previous posts before saying that no-one has done it. Soory if I sound like a renting, raving, poetic soul (which, to some extent, I cannot honestly deny that I am), but that comment just hit the nerve. ("The Nerve" being the lobe in my cerebral cortex that that post triggered into creating an undesirable response). If i get around to it, I'll let you know. I've always hated people whose posts never really had a point, and I ascertain that this is hypocritic ehavior at the instance in this point in time, however, alas, I am too lazy t post my ideas. I I conceive that thou selves are worthy of such a simple yet efficient plan as my own ideas for an electronically-powered "Nerf" gun ("Nerf" meant that aesthetic, rhetorical meaning, not necessarily referring directly to the "Hasbro" sub-divion, but towards the so-called "hobby" of creating and modifying the foam-shooting guns that this sub-division f a large children's toy company has netted into a community, or even perhaps "lifestyle," if you will. The term "franchise" may be a better choice of verbal or written communicative words). If I do percieve you acceptable, than I shall be inclined to post the aformentioned designs (or "plans") for the electronically powered "Nerf" gun on my website soon.

Ares. Dude. Calm down. Please. Even if you have considered making it, so am I. Even if you have considered it, no need to get all hyper and sound like a friggin' lawyer just because I thought about it too and couldn't remember anyone else doing so. As you say yourself you never -posted- that. (Quote: I am too lazy t post my ideas.). How am I supposed to know you have an idea if you never posted it?

Quote: I've always hated people whose posts never really had a point
Where does my post "not have a point"? I brought up the idea, people react, post ideas, and I'm working (in fact, if I find the original sketch again, replace that with "I have finished").

====

Upgrade: ATM we were only talking about an idea, and schematics.

What's finished:
Basic gun design (mechanical)
Gun electronics (semi-auto)

What's coming:
Gun electronics (full auto!)
Pics of the gun finished when I have time to construct it.

I'm planning in putting the electronics in the handle, with a clip so you can switch between full and semi-auto depending on what you need.

#8 UpGraD3

UpGraD3

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:44 AM

racoon, your idea is kick ass. :rolleyes: Can't wait to here more about it.
"Is luck a loser's excuse for a winners position?"

#9 Ares

Ares

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:59 AM

Okay:
1) I'm sorry. INSANELY bad day that day. That just "set me off."

2)

As you say yourself you never -posted- that. (Quote: I am too lazy t post my ideas.). How am I supposed to know you have an idea if you never posted it?

I had posted it. I was debating whether or not to post it again.

3)

Quote: I've always hated people whose posts never really had a point
Where does my post "not have a point"? I brought up the idea, people react, post ideas, and I'm working (in fact, if I find the original sketch again, replace that with "I have finished")

I was referring not to yourpost, but to my own. I was merely saying that the post that I happened to have benn currently writing at the time (my first one in this thread, which, so happens, to be the one I'm apologizng fo now) had had no point, not yours.

&

4) Nice ideas. They all sound good. i can't wait to hear how this turns out. Hope it goes well for you.

5) P.S. If you need components, heres one of the best places you can get them from:
online components catalog
The Greek God of War
Unseen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users