Best Stock Gun Available?

War coming up, not sure which gun to buy

38 replies to this topic

#1 Awesomeness101

Awesomeness101

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

I have one clear Maverick (losing power already) and a Buzzsaw. Are any of the following better stock:

Firefly
Longshot
NiteFinder

I'm not very good at modding, so that's why I wanna know stock.

Edited by Awesomeness101, 13 December 2008 - 04:29 PM.

#2 Llama Boy

Llama Boy

• Banned
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:32 PM

Buy a night finder and take the ARs out, add some brass, and band it.
Truce.

#3 one shot one kill

one shot one kill

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:37 PM

I have one clear Maverick (losing power already) and a Buzzsaw. Are any of the following better stock:

Firefly
Longshot
NiteFinder

I'm not very good at modding, so that's why I wanna know stock.

i think all the guns you listed are all good stock weapons. My friends and i have stock wars and they all are good.

#4 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:39 PM

Buy a night finder and take the ARs out, add some brass, and band it.

I agree, the nitefinder gives the decent ranges with minimal amount of modding.

while with extensive modding, the longshot will give the greatest range and performance.
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#5 Team Genocide

Team Genocide

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:45 PM

Heres a tip to get somewhat good range from a firefly. I saw a video of a guy that used streamlines in his firfly and it went incredibly farther than the regular micro darts.

#6 Awesomeness101

Awesomeness101

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:46 PM

Heres a tip to get somewhat good range from a firefly. I saw a video of a guy that used streamlines in his firfly and it went incredibly farther than the regular micro darts.

That is a good tip, thanks. Anyone else have any experience with their Mav crapping out on them after less than a week of casually firing it for practice?

#7 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:48 PM

That is a good tip, thanks. Anyone else have any experience with their Mav crapping out on them after less than a week of casually firing it for practice?

Were you dry-firing it?
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#8 Awesomeness101

Awesomeness101

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

Only once to scare my little brother.

Does it count as dry firing if you are pulling the trigger just to make the barrel rotate? Or does it have to involve the spring as well?

Edited by Awesomeness101, 13 December 2008 - 04:59 PM.

#9 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:10 PM

Does it count as dry firing if you are pulling the trigger just to make the barrel rotate? Or does it have to involve the spring as well?

No. Dry firing is when you fire a gun (after priming it) that has no ammunition in it. This is bad for Nerf guns because when the catch is released and the plunger goes flying forward, the plunger will end up hitting the end of the plunger tube with the amount of force that the spring exerts on the plunger head. When ammunition is placed in the barrel, the plunger head is slowed down by the blockage air and therefore builds up enough pressure to launch the dart out of the barrel. With no ammunition in the barrel, the plunger head strikes the end of the plunger tube with its full force which can weaken different parts of the gun over time.

EDIT: JSB beat me to it.

Edited by cheesypiza001, 13 December 2008 - 05:11 PM.

#10 Awesomeness101

Awesomeness101

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:29 PM

I have one clear Maverick (losing power already) and a Buzzsaw.

Anyone else have any experience with their Mav crapping out on them after less than a week of casually firing it for practice?

The Maverick in stock form is pretty weak. The clear Mav is really just a showpiece. Did you read any of the threads about it?

I would be interested to know where and how it breaks first. When you do finally give up on it, I might be talked into trading a decently modded yellow one for it.

I got it for free. I bought the bundle and sold it immediately on ebay for profit as well. I don't know if I gonna give up on it, but how hard is it to mod the Mav?

#11 deadshooter711

deadshooter711

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:29 PM

No. Dry firing is when you fire a gun (after priming it) that has no ammunition in it. This is bad for Nerf guns because when the catch is released and the plunger goes flying forward, the plunger will end up hitting the end of the plunger tube with the amount of force that the spring exerts on the plunger head. When ammunition is placed in the barrel, the plunger head is slowed down by the blockage air and therefore builds up enough pressure to launch the dart out of the barrel. With no ammunition in the barrel, the plunger head strikes the end of the plunger tube with its full force which can weaken different parts of the gun over time.

EDIT: JSB beat me to it.

OH, SHIT!!! I guess I should stop doing that then.

On topic: I'd say the best gun for stock ranges might be a crossfire. When i first got it, it got pretty good ranges for pistol. A longshot also has good ranges but isn't as accurate. So, take your pick.

My Nerf War Pictures

IT'S EVERYWHERE!

#12 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

The gun with the most range out of the box is definitely the BBB. They said it shot 60ft out of the box. It shot 50. That is pretty amazing for a stock gun. Worst was probably the AT3K. Shot about 10ft.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#13 shoeshine5

shoeshine5

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:45 PM

In my opinion the best stock weapon available is the longshot. It's ranges are comparable to most other stock nerf guns and it has a great rate of fire and fast reloads.
While you are busy reading this, I am eating your sandwich.

#14 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:05 PM

On second thought, (and now that we are adding guns that aren't on his list.)
Try a BBBB (Buzz Bee Big Blast) or a LBB (Lanard Blast Bazooka)
Then just cut off the tip of the post and you now have a near stock gun that can get around 70ft
QUOTE View Post

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#15 clinton

clinton

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:57 PM

I think it wouid be the hornet
Let It Be.... Let It Be

#16 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:05 PM

I think it wouid be the hornet

Well I have never owned a hornet, so you should give some pros and cons of the gun.
QUOTE View Post

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#17 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:18 PM

I think your best bet would be to invest in an automatic - either a Magstrike or RF20. These can be effective in stock form in a war if they are used right. Another thought would be the Big Slavo (which is incidentially very cheap on Amazon right now); you can get pretty good ranges with the stock arrows, and decent ROF to boot. I think the longshot would be a poor choice - the ROF is great, but ranges are terrible without heavy modification.

Really, you need to modify your guns if you want to be competitive in a war. I would recommend you try modifying a Nitefinder - they are easy, and perform great after modest modifications. Plus they're cheap, so if you mess up it will not be a huge financial hit.

#18 123nerf

123nerf

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:29 PM

I think your best bet would be to invest in an automatic - either a Magstrike or RF20. These can be effective in stock form in a war if they are used right. Another thought would be the Big Slavo (which is incidentially very cheap on Amazon right now); you can get pretty good ranges with the stock arrows, and decent ROF to boot. I think the longshot would be a poor choice - the ROF is great, but ranges are terrible without heavy modification.

Really, you need to modify your guns if you want to be competitive in a war. I would recommend you try modifying a Nitefinder - they are easy, and perform great after modest modifications. Plus they're cheap, so if you mess up it will not be a huge financial hit.

Wow! Seven dollars! But something funny I found was if you scroll down a bit to the AT2K, there will be a scratched out price. $656! I wonder who put that up?
Yo Mamma's So Fat, when she tried on a pair of pants, the tag magically changed from "One Size Fits All to One Size Fits Most."

#19 Awesomeness101

Awesomeness101

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:07 PM

Well, I ended up buying a Firefly. We only have indoor wars, and nobody really mods their weapons, so I think I can be competitive with this.

I also bought a pack of dart tag darts. They're too long to go under the front part of the gun, so I trimmed them down. They shoot MUCH faster and further than the glow darts. I would suggest them to anyone with a Firefly. Plus they were cheaper and came with a baggie.

#20 Oni Kadaki

Oni Kadaki

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:58 PM

I'd go with a longshot, if you're looking for another gun in the future. It gets good range stock, is fairly accurate, and has an excellent rate of fire. if you can grab a pack of spare clips, all the better. Just grab a pack of spare streamlines either way. The longshot, moreso than any other stock repeater, requires its ammo to be in good condition.

Edited by Oni Kadaki, 13 December 2008 - 11:58 PM.

#21 bamblack2000

bamblack2000

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:02 AM

Vulcan owns indoors. But a firefly is okay if your not modding it. I would use a crossfire maybe. Try a magstrike or RF20 if you want good ROF.

#22 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:15 AM

Vulcan's are pretty Kickass indoors, but if you want true virgin power, I would go with a Longshot, or a BBB.

#23 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:16 PM

Stock, I wouldn't use anything that doesn't shoot darts. The arrows and missiles just aren't as accurate. If the fins get bent at all they won't fly straight.

Personally, I think the Dart Tag Blaster is the best stock weapon you can use. It has high ROF, but not wastefully high like the MagStrike or other automatics. It gets decent range compared to other stock blasters and carries ten shots which are very easy to reload (unlike the Maverick and FireFly).

#24 Puppylayer

Puppylayer

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:32 PM

If Anything (you did say this was indoors) get a gun that is as close to semi-auto as possible. I would recommend twin mavs. This is because although their stock range is shameful, when dual wielded with strings on the primer (and some practice), it is possible to reach a ROF of 3 dps.

Edited by Puppy-§layer, 14 December 2008 - 03:33 PM.

QUOTE(nerfer9 @ Dec 26 2008, 01:34 PM) View Post

Coal? You're santa arent you! You didn't give me that bike I wanted! Prepare to die!

Also active as Slayer_of_OnE at NerfLovers!

#25 Awesomeness101

Awesomeness101

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:13 PM

If Anything (you did say this was indoors) get a gun that is as close to semi-auto as possible. I would recommend twin mavs. This is because although their stock range is shameful, when dual wielded with strings on the primer (and some practice), it is possible to reach a ROF of 3 dps.

In my league we're only allowed to dual-weild single-shot guns like the NiteFinder. Plus, my Firefly is pretty sweet with the trimmed dart tag darts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users