The Phoenix

A dead gun now reborn...

26 replies to this topic

#1 iMod1

iMod1

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:47 PM

Hello everyone, as Nerfdude has noticed, I am rather excited about this mod. I am 100% sure that this mod has not been done before (As in posted on the forums), but Arachnophobia II comes rather close. In addition, this mod was done of the period of several months, so I only have a limited amount of pictures, only at the beginning and at the very end. If you plan to do this mod, I have one
DISCLAIMER:
This mod will ruin a magstrike. If you like your magstrike’s capability to fling lots of foam very fast, then this mod is not for you. If you are willing to do this to be able to single the magstrike, then read further.

This mod originated when I accidentally broke the plunger tube of the Magstrike and tried to repair it with duct tape -

Posted Image

However, I could not get it to work. Before I thought of junking it, I noticed the perfectly good bladder and a plan began to form in my mind.

Materials:
• Magstrike
• AT2k Chamber
• Superglue / Gorilla Glue
• ¾ x 25 Polyethylene Tubing
• Plumbers Glue
• At least 3 feet of ½” PVC Pipe (5feet recommended in case of screw ups)
• One ½” PVC Elbow, Tee (Three way connector), coupler, and 45° angle Connector
• Keyring
• One foot of either string, copper wire, or other strong wire (twine would not be good because it will wear down)
• Duct tape

Obviously, you need to open the gun up. There is a small piece of plastic glued at the base of the pump, cut it or spend half an hour trying to pry it off (what I did).

Now first, as FA_24 pointed out, the stock valve is a stinky piece of poop. Soooo, you can cut out the entire top half of the system. Yes you heard me right. Cut the tubing, piston, valve, all the way to the bladder, including the tubing connecting the pump to the bladder. Don’t throw it away, it slides in nicely into the larger tubing for connections.

Find a drill size that matches the width of the tubing, and drill about half an inch into the back of the pump. Unscrew the plastic piece that holds the bladder in place, once you have the bladder, yank off yet another plastic piece that protrudes inside. There should be two holes on the piece, drill them all the way through.

Cut one and a half inches of tubing and glue the ends to the pump and one hole in the bladder.

Posted Image

Now for the AT2k tank. Cut off the annoying little orange goo gauge. It leaked twice then the rubber washer in the middle blew up.

Next, get about a foot of the tubing and connect one end to the bladder and the other to the 2k chamber. Because the “ledge” where the input for the chamber is somewhat small, I put a twist tie around it to seal it even more so. It should look like this…

Posted Image

For the coupler, add 5-6 layers of duct tape around the coupler to make it the width of the chamber. Then superglue the coupler to the chamber, then duct tape both the coupler and chamber with 3-4 layers of the good stuff.

Posted Image

In order to rig up the trigger system, tie the wire material around the firing pin and tie it on a keyring. Don’t worry about that until the secondary grip is in place.

Now for the stock and the new grip. Cut the length of pipe for the stock that suits you the best, I have it as about a foot and a half. Same goes for the grip, however long you want it. You need to have the PVC Tee wrapped in duct tape only about once or twice to fit in the very back of the gun.

Posted Image

Now that the PVC stock is done, cut three holes – one in the back of the stock handle, and two under the bottom of the top part of the gun. Be sure to cut the little pieces of plastic sticking out in the top shell where the chamber and the PVC stock are, they do not allow the shell to close completely.

Posted Image

Place the 2k chamber where the old MS plunger tube released, it fits perfectly with the duct tape put on earlier. It should look like this when done.

Posted Image

Ranges (30 pumps):

NO B.S.

Didn’t even bother to check angled ranges as they are so insanely far that they span from one of my neighbor’s yard, across mine, to past my next neighbor’s yard.

I am most likely sure that many people will call my ranges fake, stupid, BS, whatever. They are real. Originally I used the stock tubing, but it was too small and only allowed short bursts of air. In addition, it was very leaky. I decided to screw it and get some new stuff. The tubing I used was wider, and because I widened all the places where it was used, I effectively allowed all the air to be released at once, giving you the titanish ranges you see. And best of all… NO LEAKS!!!

If you know of anyone that has done this same exact thing before, then they have truly done it first and I could not find it. Although Arachnophobia II was singled, it still used the stock valve to pressurize the tank, which in turn was fired. In this mod, the tank and bladder release all the air at the same time, so not exactly like it.

I don’t see why everyone likes to put the final pictures at the top, and especially because I worked on it so hard, I would like them to see the design I had to think up and make work. So now… finally… NIC, I present to you...

The Phoenix!

Posted Image

I really can’t do fancy paintjobs, and because just plain silver looked so nice on it, I decided to keep it just silver.

Hope you enjoyed this modification write up!

-iMod

Edited by iMod1, 13 December 2008 - 04:07 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but after that it was no match for me at kick boxing.

#2 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:53 PM

looks good; something to do with a broken magstrike.

you should try to resize the pictures, as they are quite small.
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#3 iMod1

iMod1

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

Ok this is my first post on the Haven, so I am used to Badger's bandwidth limitations. Will do.
-iMod
A computer once beat me at chess, but after that it was no match for me at kick boxing.

#4 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:12 PM

So both the magstrike tank and AT2K tank are powering this thing, correct?

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#5 Betrayal

Betrayal

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:20 PM

Very nice. I can't believe you got that range out of a Magstrike.
QUOTE(VACC @ Apr 15 2009, 11:23 AM) View Post

Doing shit is hard work.

VACC

#6 123caviler

123caviler

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:15 PM

That is an amazing first post. I can't even believe this is the first time you posted and it was a mod write up! and a good one at that.

I think that you should stick an RSCB clip on that and you have a beast of a gun.
QUOTE(One Man Clan @ Mar 15 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

O YEAH!
Mr.Kool_Aid,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended. blah blah blah

OMC is fucking god.

#7 iMod1

iMod1

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

Thanks guys! Soothsayer: Yes I hooked up the at2k tank to the bladder, so I would say that the bladder is filled and fills the tank; the tank just allows it to release quickly.
-iMod

#8 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

So, thirty pumps per shot? That's cumbersome, but your ranges are nothing to sneeze at. So, if I understand correctly, you used a high diameter tubing to connect the bladder to to the AT2K tank, so that when you pull the AT2K firing pin, all the air in the bladder quickly empties out the barrel? It's a very interesting concept, and while it may be just a little over-kill, the design may have its uses. I can't imagine that all the air from the bladder makes it into the barrel before the dart leaves, but enough of it does so that you get a nice range boost.

Here's a suggestion...cut your bladder in half! That may sound strange, but if you cut it in half and then reattach everything as before, you will need far fewer pumps to reach full pressure and I doubt you'll lose any range. Something to think about anyway. Nice job.

#9 iMod1

iMod1

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:00 PM

Yes the larger diameter allows all the air to release. The pumping is somewhat annoying, but the shot is worth it. Oh and cutting the bladder in half? That is a pretty crazy idea (in a good way) but yes you are right, there is after one shot about five pump's worth of air leftover. I might have to think about that half bladder thing though... ;)
-iMod

Edited by iMod1, 13 December 2008 - 06:02 PM.

#10 Nobber

Nobber

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:08 AM

I really have to say, this is impressive. Welcome to the Haven, as I am a new member myself. Keep this up. Nice way to practically save a broken gun.
-You Commie! You Fascist! You anti federalist! You anarchist! You, you Walmart...
-These days, because of the energy crisis, if Santa gave me coal, I'd be happy delighted.
I'd go emo if there wasn't nerf. - DarkShrimp

#11 themasterofsomething

themasterofsomething

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:15 PM

nice!!!!!!
Mr. NOOB

I suck at modding.

#12 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:05 PM

Hooray! A banned gun!
Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 14 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

Damn it Foamfoot. Why is it that you kill every good topic with a retarded response a few days late.

#13 iMod1

iMod1

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:23 PM

Well, I've been experimenting with some barrels, and a long two foot barrel with 30 pumps seems to give some quite impressive accuracy, but only goes about 30 feet. The shorter barrel is what gave the insano titan ranges, but indoors, couldn't hit a 2' x 2' piece of cardboard. Any suggestions for barrel length?

#14 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:02 PM

Id try out a 10" barrel, then a 12". As most 2K's go with 8"(I think...) then you should get maximum range and accuracy at 12".
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#15 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

Why not try doing a semi-auto so the bladder refills the at2k after each shot.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#16 iMod1

iMod1

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:12 PM

Well, there is actually nothing inbetween the bladder and the tank. That is actually what imaseoulman did with Arachnophobia II, because he kept the stock MS valve to "refill" the tank from the bladder. That is not what I did. The only reason it gets those good ranges is because it empties all (actually most) of the air in the bladder. So to make it semi auto I would have to put a valve in there.
-iMod

#17 maseman 46

maseman 46

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:21 PM

I did something similar to this except mine is an arm mounted blaster thing. If you us the rf20 trigger (the one that has a slow leak in it) It would become somewhat more semi auto.

Edited by maseman__46, 16 December 2008 - 05:21 PM.

The only way to get a recon over 100' would be to throw it.-atomatron

Yes groove punching your mother solves all problems......Maybe George Bush should have done that during katrina?-foxdemon82

My sales thread

#18 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:01 PM

So to make it semi auto I would have to put a valve in there.

Actually, that's not at all a bad idea. You could open the valve and close it and then fire off a good range shote or you could leave it open for ultimate range. That would negate much of the problem with ROF. Just throwing in a 1/2" ball valve would work wonders. Again, something to think about.

#19 iMod1

iMod1

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:48 PM

Huh. I think the half bladder idea might work better though. Because if I did do the valve, I would either need to rig it up to the MS trigger (that would be hard, especially with the force required to open up a ball valve) or find some way to expose it on the outside for ease of use. For the half bladder though, I would, theoretically, just need to pump it 15 times as opposed to 30, and probably get the same ranges. Plus, I was messing around with barrels and such, and I decided to put a crayola over the chamber release "hole" and with a 6" barrel and 10 pumps, I got around 60-70 which would only be five pumps with a half bladder. Man I wish I didn't have finals otherwise I'd be done with it already. <_<
-iMod

#20 s3an967

s3an967

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:04 PM

This is fucking awesome the singled Magstrike (sorta) but 150 ft it's gonna be banned in a heart beat.
Watch this- I can tip-toe while you take a piss.

#21 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:37 AM

There's really no practical way of putting the ball valve inside the magstrike. I was thinking of just mounting it on the side of the shell, probably on the upper half on the part that extrudes backward (where inside, normally the tubing meets the piston). It's just a thought, though, and you should do whatever you think will suit you best.

#22 nerfkid3

nerfkid3

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:06 PM

First welcome to nerfhaven. Second very nice job. That I would consider doing.
92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to "real music",
copy and paste this into your signature

#23 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:00 AM

I have magstrike internals left over from the MT.

You just gave me a new project.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#24 Ner Commando

Ner Commando

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:32 PM

That is one badass gun. I love that paintjob. Those ranges are godly, I didn't think that a singled magstrike could get those ranges. Nice job.

#25 iMod1

iMod1

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:41 PM

Firstly, I hope this does not count as a necro, because for one I have useful information, and two, it has only been about two weeks or so. The useful information I have is actually an update on the gun. I have some new additions that you might find "entertaining". This is the gun with a brand new scope I found at walmart for $7. An incredible steal, it's a Daisy Air Rifle scope, 4x15.

Posted Image

I do not take credit for this, I only thought of It after watching Angel's titan video. I love the scope and calibrated it just this morning. As for the other update, I thought a smiley face (also not my original idea) on the front of the gun would do nicely. Here it is...

Posted Image

I was able to hit the large circle on a tagger vest from the length of my house (about 40 feet), so (insert british accent) I should be able to shave the stubble off your face at 500 yards!!

I haven't been able to do any really long range tests as it is raining outside -_- I like the rain, but not when it interferes with mah guns.
-iMod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users