Photo

Has There Ever Been A Successful Airtank?

already searched it nothing...

10 replies to this topic

#1 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

Has anyone Invented an airtank that worked like nerf airtanks? But made of PVC? I never got any results that answered my questions.
I have seen this one persons thought I think his name was galaxy(something something) and he posted ideas of an airtank.. it looked like it would of worked? And I have seen people saying it wouldn't. What makes them say so?
SoothSayer-

"Just adding some lube and twisting it back and forth for a while should make it easier"

Subscribe to my Music page and mods >> http://www.youtube.com/user/OnyxMP312

#2 Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:27 PM

Because the materials used wouldn't be able to work as planned, they would leak out all the air.
My GT is Spacecowboy9951

#3 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

If you'd actually READ that thread, you would have known the difficulties involved in such a project. Look at CaptainSlug's D-CHAP valves.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#4 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:01 PM

If you'd actually READ that thread, you would have known the difficulties involved in such a project. Look at CaptainSlug's D-CHAP valves.

I saw that on his example/blueprint that he uses small sized rubber plates. Now if you can change that into a bigger size. i.e. instead of the small size being 1/10 in OD and the pipe is 1/2 in ID well then of course it'll leak most likely considering the size of the rubber plate... it's not enough to cover over the release hole. Now if we can add a rubber plate the size of lets use 4/10 OD for a pipe with 1/2 ID as well, and add a think lube inside the chamber... this will make it more air tight because the thinkness and density of the lube doesn't allow air to seep through easier.. and because the both the rubber plates are just 1/10 OD apart from completely clogging the 1/2 ID piping making it more air tight and also covering more of the release hole.

maybe this MIGHT work.. sometimes the solution isn't always dry and solid.
SoothSayer-

"Just adding some lube and twisting it back and forth for a while should make it easier"

Subscribe to my Music page and mods >> http://www.youtube.com/user/OnyxMP312

#5 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:34 PM

Uhm, difficulties? No. For Cpt. Slug's project specifically, yes, because it's insane, but if one just wants to build a simple airtank it's very simple.

1/2" PVC
2 Endcaps

Hammer on the endcaps as much as possible. Super glue around the edge, one complete rings without holes or layers.

Voila.

Yes, it works. Please... please don't bother me to take pictures (actually, I can't, I'm out of state right now).

Tips for attaching tubing: Drill holes smaller than the tubing so you have to force the tubing through. This increases the seal. You still need a ring of super glue around the edge though.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#6 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:36 PM

How did you seal the piston? Did you use an o-ring at the back? And how was the piston made?
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#7 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:41 PM

Uhm, difficulties? No. For Cpt. Slug's project specifically, yes, because it's insane, but if one just wants to build a simple airtank it's very simple.

1/2" PVC
2 Endcaps

Hammer on the endcaps as much as possible. Super glue around the edge, one complete rings without holes or layers.

Voila.

Yes, it works. Please... please don't bother me to take pictures (actually, I can't, I'm out of state right now).

Tips for attaching tubing: Drill holes smaller than the tubing so you have to force the tubing through. This increases the seal. You still need a ring of super glue around the edge though.

Don't follow these directions! PVC should be solvent welded with the proper primer and adhesive. None of this "super glue" crap. Also, instead of getting two end caps, get one end cap and one reducer with threads. Then insert the proper MIP to barbed fitting, and you have a real tank that will all work properly for you.

Edited by Draconis, 27 December 2008 - 02:53 PM.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#8 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:51 PM

And ball valve.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#9 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:22 PM

Don't follow these directions! PVC should be solvent welded with the proper primer and adhesive. None of this "super glue" crap. Also, instead of getting two end caps, get one end cap and one reducer with threads. Then insert the proper MIP to barbed fitting, and you have a real tank that will all work properly for you.

Sorry... where's your proof?
A lot of things SHOULD be done. For example, one SHOULD not modify blasters or their darts.

But that's never stopped me. And, just like all the mods I -shouldn't- have done, the airtank I detailed works perfectly.

Plus, reducers and fitting cost moolah. ;o)

- - -

Okay... when you ask about valves and pistons and what not, it makes me think you are asking for more than just an airtank. An airtank holds air. Simple as that. If you want something that releases air, you want a valve or trigger. I'm sorry if I misinterpreted.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#10 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:26 PM

Sorry... where's your proof?
A lot of things SHOULD be done. For example, one SHOULD not modify blasters or their darts.

But that's never stopped me. And, just like all the mods I -shouldn't- have done, the airtank I detailed works perfectly.

Plus, reducers and fitting cost moolah. ;o)

- - -

Okay... when you ask about valves and pistons and what not, it makes me think you are asking for more than just an airtank. An airtank holds air. Simple as that. If you want something that releases air, you want a valve or trigger. I'm sorry if I misinterpreted.

I'm going to have to back up Hilt on this one, as I've actually seen a working airgun from him. And although you should, you can easily get away with goop, super glue and in some cases hot glue, depending on the pressure you are running through it.

If you are working with pressures that could destroy a SCH 40 PVC tank, do you really want to be applying those pressures to a dart?
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#11 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:47 PM

Goop is not an adhesive, it's an epoxy SEALANT. It cannot create mechanically sound joints. It's only used for sealing cracks.

Super Glue when cured is acrylic. I wouldn't trust it to hold a pressurized seem together.

If you want to make any air-tank that can withstand pressure without having to use PVC cement then you will need to design it so that it's held together with threaded rods and hex nuts with retaining plates. Most high-pressure valves are held together with screws and sealed with gaskets.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users