Photo

Glue Guide?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:00 PM

I have no experience at all with glue, and was wondering if there was a glue guide of some sort. All my mods are done with hot glue, but I need something that can hold a barrel with a strong spring, and am also looking for something like silly putty that gets adhesive and hard after awhile. I know I could ask the osh people, but I'd rather get my info from people who have actually dealt with this sort of thing.

Hot glue
-Pros: Holds things in place that don't need much support, fills gaps, stefans, Can be molded easily, easily removed, reusable (Once you open a pack you don't have to use it all at once), quick drying
-Cons: Weak, Can burn you, needs a glue gun, doesn't look clean after awhile, not sandable

Something like that for all the glues?

#2 bamblack2000

bamblack2000

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:08 PM

Well I liked epoxy puddy but they are doing away with it.

Now I just use good old goop and epoxy.

#3 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts
  • State:Texas
  • u/btrettel on Reddit

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:10 PM

I wrote a guide about glues for repairing water guns. The vast majority of what I said there is applicable in Nerf too.

If you want a putty that gets hard, you're looking for epoxy putty.

Let me note that while I said normal hot glues aren't good in that link, I am speaking from the point of a glue that can seal under appreciable pressure. If you need some structural support or operate at low and intermittent pressures, normal hot glue should be fine. But realize that normal hot glues are not very strong, so you may prefer something else.

Edited by Doom, 06 December 2008 - 11:33 PM.

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:11 PM

Depends on what materials you are trying to affix to each other, and how much force they have to be able to survive.

A few of you keep claiming that "Goop" is an adhesive, but it's not. It's an epoxy sealant meant to be an alternative to teflon tape.

Everything in Doom's link is accurate.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 06 December 2008 - 10:12 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:08 PM

Well I liked epoxy putty but they are doing away with it.

From whence do you get this strange idea? And who are "they," anyway?
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#6 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:37 PM

I shudder at the idea of useing ...hot glue on and gun mod, but keep on using it if you wish but never for get you gun in the car on a hot day :)

#7 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:28 AM

Okay people, can you fill out the format from the first post with stuff for goop, epoxy, and any other types of adhesives? Also, has anyone tried Mighty Putty (Billy Mays)?

#8 xbox180

xbox180

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:56 AM

Okay people, can you fill out the format from the first post with stuff for goop, epoxy, and any other types of adhesives? Also, has anyone tried Mighty Putty (Billy Mays)?

Mighty Putty:

Pros:Super strong once dried, Easy to use.

Cons: Expensive, If you leave it out it will dry up, Also it is kinda hard to find, and It is hard to get off. :)

Gorrila glue:

Pros:Makes a good bond, and works well for intergrations.

Cons:Hard to get it on the exact spot the you want it on, requires clamps, also glue once dried is big and puffy thus making it hard to sand.
"Congrats on Buy a Peice of Plastic thats most likely older than you, for half- a grand, your awesome man." Nerf Monkey

My Webpage
MY Youtube

#9 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:07 PM

I have to repeat myself? Seriously?

You can't give off a list of Pros and Cons for a wide range of adhesives because they're formulated for specific applications. Just go to the hardware store and read their labels. You'll get some idea of what each adhesive is intended for.

Generic Epoxy is meant for adhering any dry rough surface to any other dry rough surface.

Epoxy Putty is meant to be used a filler adhesive, but it is primarily used for body work and sculpting.

JB weld is meant for adhering dissimilar metals. Works okay for metal-to-plastic bonds.

Super glue is meant for adhering dissimilar plastics. Particularly acrylic. Can accept vinyl dye.

Liquid nails is meant for adhering synthetic or recycled wood paneling to dry wall or other dry surfaces. Works fairly well for adhering porous materials to nonporous materials because of it's high viscosity. Goes from a peanut butter consistency to more of a pencil eraser consistency once dry.

Solvent cements are meant for chemically fusing a joint between a material family it is specifically formulated for.

And Hot Glue is meant for attaching googly eyes to your craft projects.

If you are using an adhesive in a way it wasn't intended, then it's probably not going to work the way you wanted it to. And if you have a joint that you want to be very durable and capable of resisting frequent impact stresses, then you should be using screws instead of glue.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 07 December 2008 - 09:09 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#10 TheNerfLoki

TheNerfLoki

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:21 PM

Also, has anyone tried Mighty Putty (Billy Mays)?

I am pretty sure that consumer reports (yes, the magazine) had an article on mighty putty a while back. I will have to check it again, but I am confident that they said it was not as good as regular epoxy putty.
Am I the only one who uses the sig function for a sig?
TNL,

#11 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:58 PM

It is hard to get off. :(

Um...

Anyway, mighty putty is actually pretty good, and if you buy it from billy, then it's not horribly expensive. Plus, in the package, it's green, how cool is that? And it changes color, like magic kool-aid, or crystal meth. Bottom line, if you are interested in the as seen on TV deal that they have, you'll get plenty of it. My vote is to buy it. It's also pretty powerful and sand able.

Edited by Foamfoot, 08 December 2008 - 08:59 PM.

Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 14 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

Damn it Foamfoot. Why is it that you kill every good topic with a retarded response a few days late.

#12 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:18 AM

Mighty Putty:

Pros:Super strong once dried, Easy to use.

Cons: Expensive, If you leave it out it will dry up, Also it is kinda hard to find, and it is hard to get off. :wacko:

No shit, Sherlock! Dude, it is adhesive, it's not meant to come off!

EDIT: Sorry, Foamfoot beat me to it.

Edited by nerfnut23, 09 December 2008 - 01:19 AM.

American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

#13 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:45 AM

I have to repeat myself? Seriously?

You can't give off a list of Pros and Cons for a wide range of adhesives because they're formulated for specific applications. Just go to the hardware store and read their labels. You'll get some idea of what each adhesive is intended for.

Generic Epoxy is meant for adhering any dry rough surface to any other dry rough surface.

Epoxy Putty is meant to be used a filler adhesive, but it is primarily used for body work and sculpting.

JB weld is meant for adhering dissimilar metals. Works okay for metal-to-plastic bonds.

Super glue is meant for adhering dissimilar plastics. Particularly acrylic. Can accept vinyl dye.

Liquid nails is meant for adhering synthetic or recycled wood paneling to dry wall or other dry surfaces. Works fairly well for adhering porous materials to nonporous materials because of it's high viscosity. Goes from a peanut butter consistency to more of a pencil eraser consistency once dry.

Solvent cements are meant for chemically fusing a joint between a material family it is specifically formulated for.

And Hot Glue is meant for attaching googly eyes to your craft projects.

If you are using an adhesive in a way it wasn't intended, then it's probably not going to work the way you wanted it to. And if you have a joint that you want to be very durable and capable of resisting frequent impact stresses, then you should be using screws instead of glue.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users