Photo

Laser Cutting

6 replies to this topic

#1 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:09 PM

I'm a laser noob. Can it cut metal? How about "craft foam", for custom plunger heads?

Edited by Ubermensch, 11 December 2008 - 10:50 PM.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#2 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:38 PM

I guess I'm incredibly lucky, because I have a 40W laser cutter at my high school. I know how to use it, and I've been working on some ideas in CAD. Unfortunately, my tech teacher will only let us use acrylic, so no plus bow. JSB, if you have any ideas for printing or want any of mine, shoot me a PM or reply to this post. Currently I'm working on a AT2K style turret, that even lines up the barrels with the air-entry-hole for you, which is the major difference between actual 2K turrets and homemade attempts at them. If the prototype works well enough, and the topic I will be making about them gets good feedback, I MIGHT consider selling them to the haven. It's really just a matter of convincing my parents to let me trade with people over this site.

Edit: Uber, it depends on the power of the laser. A 40W laser can definitely cut through craft foam, but I'm not sure of the kinds of chemicals that would release. It also probably depends on the metal, but I'm not sure.

Edited by TantumBull, 11 December 2008 - 10:41 PM.

#3 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:57 PM

Yeah, definitely helped answering why. All he said was it created too much fumes, and I was like,"But we have a fucking enormous ventilation system!"

#4 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:24 AM

Interesting, I never was told not to cut Lexan, I just couldn't figure out anything to make with the stuff when I had access to it. Blast my graduating before anything worth lasering was designed!

From what I know though; Lexan (polycarbonate) is the only thing that you should be making Plusbow's out of, according to C.Slug, it's the best material to machine and the only plastic that holds a thread.

And since it can't really cut anything better than that (unless you want 1/4" wood cut), you guys are probably limited in your capabilities. However, don't forget the amazing custom decal capabilities; name plates, icons, lighting slots, etc. All of those would be fine cut out of plexi and (as those who've used them are aware) super sharp.

Also, TantumBull, are you really from Seattle or are you actually more in the Kent area?

#5 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:30 AM

Haha, you are wrong, senor!^

Seriously though, CS said that Delrin is fantastic to machine, and said it would work for +bows, but he didn't use it because of the cost. The material is actually better than polycarbonate, I'm pretty sure.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#6 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:07 AM

BUY SCRAP
You can reduce your material cost by as much as 90% if you can find a plastics shop, glass supply, or aquarium outfitter that sells their off-cuts.

Haha, you are wrong, senor!^

Seriously though, CS said that Delrin is fantastic to machine, and said it would work for +bows, but he didn't use it because of the cost. The material is actually better than polycarbonate, I'm pretty sure.

This is correct. Delrin is a dream to work with and you would be well advised to use it. It's very dimensionally stable, has a very wide temperature tolerance, is quite dense, impact resistant, weather resistant, and chemical resistant (including antifreeze). Any part made out of polycarbonate could be replaced with Delrin.

For thicker parts Nylon will also work fine. It's really cheap for most shapes and easy to machine provided you keep it cool and use sharp drill bits.

Acrylic is too brittle for anything other than decorative pieces, display cases, or extremely thick aquarium walls.

Polyester is great for model making because it's easy to carve, but is pretty difficult to machine predictably because it melts so readily.

PVC leeches chlorine when heated to such high temperatures.

Polypropylene, polyethylene and polycarbonate all generate benzene (carcinogen) when heated to high temperatures.

Neither chlorine or benzene can be handled by your average filtering or evacuation system. Those materials are typically cut with water-jet cutting equipment instead.

If you have any more plastic related questions let me know. There are very few plastics that I haven't worked with yet.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 12 December 2008 - 05:12 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#7 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:42 PM

Also, TantumBull, are you really from Seattle or are you actually more in the Kent area?

Nope, Seattle. I'm a sophomore at RHS and live in Wedgwood. Why do you ask?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users